Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And keeping that death grip on the handles lol....

Relax, swing your arms as you walk and pick a speed to get you comfortable and warmed up.  Eventually, you'll need a speed (4+ maybe) to get your heart working.   When this happens start at a warm up speed for a minute or so, then higher.  When you're winded, drop back down for a recovery time.  Over time, you need to have a good pace to work the heart, lungs, muscles, etc. to get the best benefit.  Strolling along at a slow pace takes a lot of treadmill time to get a good workout, unless the person has health issues and is just happy to be vertical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

What wonderful bonding time.

Absolutely! We have made a lot of new friends in our year and a half in this home, and we are really getting to know them through this.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

Absolutely! We have made a lot of new friends in our year and a half in this home, and we are really getting to know them through this.

We had family game time last night. Blew the dust off some games like Pictionary and Scattergories. 

• Like 1

I’m not retired yet but from reading your posts I am sure looking forward to it. I will say, however, that I am really enjoying my new really short commute to work. Although I have yet to optimize the best route to my laptop - do I go this way or that way around the kitchen table...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m not retired yet but from reading your posts I am sure looking forward to it. I will say, however, that I am really enjoying my new really short commute to work. Although I have yet to optimize the best route to my laptop - do I go this way or that way around the kitchen table...

And the traffic could be bad during rush hour (meal time)...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Plus ....... look at how much you are saving in gasoline. All of us can benefit from some more quality time which this situation is providing.

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

Relax, swing your arms as you walk and pick a speed to get you comfortable and warmed up.  Eventually, you'll need a speed (4+ maybe) to get your heart working.   When this happens start at a warm up speed for a minute or so, then higher.  When you're winded, drop back down for a recovery time.  Over time, you need to have a good pace to work the heart, lungs, muscles, etc. to get the best benefit.  Strolling along at a slow pace takes a lot of treadmill time to get a good workout, unless the person has health issues and is just happy to be vertical.

Thanks for the “encouragement” (it’s in the thread title) folks. Not a jogger but used to walk 1.5-2 miles few times a week. I’ll keep tweaking things until I feel comfortable.

As for telework used to do it once a week. Uncle Sam started using it in DC due to traffic and then expanded to all fed employees if it could be done. Also helps peace of mind this time to be around family.

ps someone please post Max Brooks vid about social distancing. Max’s 93 year dad (some guy named Mel) is right next to him.... on the other side of a glass door. Humorous but makes good points.... “go home”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

And the traffic could be bad during rush hour (meal time)...

True. There’s always that risk that my enthusiastic Labrador retriever will take me out at the knees on the way to work. The last thing I need right now is a trip to the hospital with a broken hip. 

• Haha 1