Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

5 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Hope they will be ok. I lost my 95 yo mother last year. For now, just make sure do not have direct contact with anyone beyond facility staff who use recommended precautions.

They haven’t had any outside contact other than staff for over a week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

Harbor Freight has been great community stewards before all of this.  Great place to buy tools but do have to pay attention to the quality of the stuff there. some good, some garbage. I spend too much money there when I go.

Encouraging:  my lovely bride's COVID test came back negative, so she'll be back to work on Thursday.  And it looks like I'll be heading back to work next week, at least for a couple of days.  Being paid to stay home and we're making a dent in the honey-do list, but I'd really rather be working.

That is great news!

I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight for tools you may only need for one job or a starter tool till you can afford better.

Before the public decimated the pharmacy's and grocery stores, my local HF store had cases of gloves and I was able to pick up 5 boxes of the 5 mil gloves for $6.00 with my coupon. A great place to shop.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

Harbor Freight has been great community stewards before all of this.  Great place to buy tools but do have to pay attention to the quality of the stuff there. some good, some garbage. I spend too much money there when I go.

Encouraging:  my lovely bride's COVID test came back negative, so she'll be back to work on Thursday.  And it looks like I'll be heading back to work next week, at least for a couple of days.  Being paid to stay home and we're making a dent in the honey-do list, but I'd really rather be working.

Good to hear!! 

As far as Harbor Freight, I get a lot of minor stuff there for the shop like cut off blades, sandpaper, gloves and blades. Their tools seem almost magical as they usually last just long enough to get through whatever project you're working on before they break lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Continental said:

No - not at all.  There was nothing in what you posted to be contentious with at all.

I posted that from personal experience when I bought an office chair. 

Maybe I'm just difficult when buying a chair.  The one I ended up buying is losing it's pleather surface 2 years later - and it took me a week of testing chairs to finally choose it.  I had to put a cloth on it to prevent all the loose pleather from sticking to me when I get up from it. 

People get pretty wound up where butt comfort is concerned.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

My 91 yo step-father tested positive for Covid19. He is in the hospital. He lives with my 96 yo mother in an assisted living facility. She has not been tested yet and doesn’t really understand what is going on. They have not left their apartment since a week ago yesterday. 

I pray they get through this. 🙏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

My 91 yo step-father tested positive for Covid19. He is in the hospital. He lives with my 96 yo mother in an assisted living facility. She has not been tested yet and doesn’t really understand what is going on. They have not left their apartment since a week ago yesterday. 

send prayers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich Cline said:

That is great news!

I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight for tools you may only need for one job or a starter tool till you can afford better.

Before the public decimated the pharmacy's and grocery stores, my local HF store had cases of gloves and I was able to pick up 5 boxes of the 5 mil gloves for $6.00 with my coupon. A great place to shop.

Positive thoughts for your stepfather and mom - hope the ALF is on top of things and keeping a very close eye on her.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Good to hear!! 

As far as Harbor Freight, I get a lot of minor stuff there for the shop like cut off blades, sandpaper, gloves and blades. Their tools seem almost magical as they usually last just long enough to get through whatever project you're working on before they break lol. 

same here - I stay away from the power tools but they are great for hand tools and supplies.

They step up during hurricane season here, besides small necessities they are the go-to place if you need tarps, pumps and generators. 

This is probably TMI, and way too long, but here goes anyway...

So, I had another potential employer tell me this morning (this is the 3rd so far) that they would like to bring me on, but have no idea when that would actually be. So... we’re still hanging out in San Antonio- finishing up packing- while the new house sits empty in Ft. Worth. On the plus side, we’ve got food and are still healthy. (Knock on wood.) I am truly thankful for that. But I’m also going a little crazy inside.

I don’t think our builder is going to be in a rush to sell the house out from underneath us— lots of people are stuck right now. And our finance guy seems reasonably certain that, as soon as I can show a paycheck, we can get a loan put together. However... everyone has told me it needs to be a salaried position, with a base minimum. (Not commission.) Normally, this would not be an insurmountable task. In fact, two employers have wanted to offer just that. But the conversation I just had this morning has me a little worried. Basically, he said that they, along with everybody else, can only offer straight commission right now. (Originally, it was a salaried position.) He went on to say that, with most dental schools having graduation next month, and tons of people in the same position, the market is going to be flooded with out of work dentists and businesses are going to be just offering straight commission, take-it-or-leave it. Just pick a warm body and plug them into place. And no one has any idea how busy they’ll be when they do start up. It’s a mess.

Obviously, we never had any idea something like this was going to happen when we started planning the move last year. Who does? So we’re now trying to plan, with one (maybe both) hands tied behind our backs. Do we try to extend our current lease at a higher cost? Give up on the house and find another temporary situation? Ugh. Put most everything into storage, stay at the in-laws (mostly) empty house temporarily? (An even longer story, and double ugh.) Get a monthly rate hotel and hope the job situation works out so we can close by summer? Who knows. 

And when I do start back, will it be safe? Most dentist offices don’t have sufficient PPE (from what I’ve seen) and we do some of the highest risk, aerosol producing procedures of any medical providers. I’m only in my 40’s but I also have type II diabetes. Getting this thing could be really bad for me and the prospect, frankly, scares the hell out of me. (And let’s not even get into the stats given at today’s press conference...)

So yeah, I definitely could use some encouragement right now. I’m guessing a lot of us do. I’m still taking walks every day, doing some reading, stuff like that. And I’m still looking at all the positives.(Which there definitely are!) So, if you’re feeling stressed or down, you’re not the only one. Hang it there! 

And this too shall pass.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, year1buick said:

This is probably TMI, and way too long, but here goes anyway...

So, I had another potential employer tell me this morning (this is the 3rd so far) that they would like to bring me on, but have no idea when that would actually be. So... we’re still hanging out in San Antonio- finishing up packing- while the new house sits empty in Ft. Worth. On the plus side, we’ve got food and are still healthy. (Knock on wood.) I am truly thankful for that. But I’m also going a little crazy inside.

I don’t think our builder is going to be in a rush to sell the house out from underneath us— lots of people are stuck right now. And our finance guy seems reasonably certain that, as soon as I can show a paycheck, we can get a loan put together. However... everyone has told me it needs to be a salaried position, with a base minimum. (Not commission.) Normally, this would not be an insurmountable task. In fact, two employers have wanted to offer just that. But the conversation I just had this morning has me a little worried. Basically, he said that they, along with everybody else, can only offer straight commission right now. (Originally, it was a salaried position.) He went on to say that, with most dental schools having graduation next month, and tons of people in the same position, the market is going to be flooded with out of work dentists and businesses are going to be just offering straight commission, take-it-or-leave it. Just pick a warm body and plug them into place. And no one has any idea how busy they’ll be when they do start up. It’s a mess.

Obviously, we never had any idea something like this was going to happen when we started planning the move last year. Who does? So we’re now trying to plan, with one (maybe both) hands tied behind our backs. Do we try to extend our current lease at a higher cost? Give up on the house and find another temporary situation? Ugh. Put most everything into storage, stay at the in-laws (mostly) empty house temporarily? (An even longer story, and double ugh.) Get a monthly rate hotel and hope the job situation works out so we can close by summer? Who knows. 

And when I do start back, will it be safe? Most dentist offices don’t have sufficient PPE (from what I’ve seen) and we do some of the highest risk, aerosol producing procedures of any medical providers. I’m only in my 40’s but I also have type II diabetes. Getting this thing could be really bad for me and the prospect, frankly, scares the hell out of me. (And let’s not even get into the stats given at today’s press conference...)

So yeah, I definitely could use some encouragement right now. I’m guessing a lot of us do. I’m still taking walks every day, doing some reading, stuff like that. And I’m still looking at all the positives.(Which there definitely are!) So, if you’re feeling stressed or down, you’re not the only one. Hang it there! 

And this too shall pass.

It will pass.

There will come a day when money is good and the thing you most long for is free time.  So maybe now is a chance to do things you will wish you had done someday but never found the time.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1