Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

This is probably TMI, and way too long, but here goes anyway...

So, I had another potential employer tell me this morning (this is the 3rd so far) that they would like to bring me on, but have no idea when that would actually be. So... we’re still hanging out in San Antonio- finishing up packing- while the new house sits empty in Ft. Worth. On the plus side, we’ve got food and are still healthy. (Knock on wood.) I am truly thankful for that. But I’m also going a little crazy inside.

I don’t think our builder is going to be in a rush to sell the house out from underneath us— lots of people are stuck right now. And our finance guy seems reasonably certain that, as soon as I can show a paycheck, we can get a loan put together. However... everyone has told me it needs to be a salaried position, with a base minimum. (Not commission.) Normally, this would not be an insurmountable task. In fact, two employers have wanted to offer just that. But the conversation I just had this morning has me a little worried. Basically, he said that they, along with everybody else, can only offer straight commission right now. (Originally, it was a salaried position.) He went on to say that, with most dental schools having graduation next month, and tons of people in the same position, the market is going to be flooded with out of work dentists and businesses are going to be just offering straight commission, take-it-or-leave it. Just pick a warm body and plug them into place. And no one has any idea how busy they’ll be when they do start up. It’s a mess.

Obviously, we never had any idea something like this was going to happen when we started planning the move last year. Who does? So we’re now trying to plan, with one (maybe both) hands tied behind our backs. Do we try to extend our current lease at a higher cost? Give up on the house and find another temporary situation? Ugh. Put most everything into storage, stay at the in-laws (mostly) empty house temporarily? (An even longer story, and double ugh.) Get a monthly rate hotel and hope the job situation works out so we can close by summer? Who knows. 

And when I do start back, will it be safe? Most dentist offices don’t have sufficient PPE (from what I’ve seen) and we do some of the highest risk, aerosol producing procedures of any medical providers. I’m only in my 40’s but I also have type II diabetes. Getting this thing could be really bad for me and the prospect, frankly, scares the hell out of me. (And let’s not even get into the stats given at today’s press conference...)

So yeah, I definitely could use some encouragement right now. I’m guessing a lot of us do. I’m still taking walks every day, doing some reading, stuff like that. And I’m still looking at all the positives.(Which there definitely are!) So, if you’re feeling stressed or down, you’re not the only one. Hang it there! 

And this too shall pass.

When this is over, the dentists are going to be SO busy.  You’re going to be pure gold.  🤗

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

It will pass.

There will come a day when money is good and the thing you most long for is free time.  So maybe now is a chance to do things you will wish you had done someday but never found the time.   

Yep. Today I dug out my old drum corps photo prints (which were already boxed up, LOL) and started scanning them. It’s been on my to-do list for a long time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

When this is over, the dentists are going to be SO busy.  You’re going to be pure gold.  🤗

Gold crowns, hopefully!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, year1buick said:

So, I had another potential employer tell me this morning (this is the 3rd so far) that they would like to bring me on, but have no idea when that would actually be. So... we’re still hanging out in San Antonio- finishing up packing- while the new house sits empty in Ft. Worth. On the plus side, we’ve got food and are still healthy. (Knock on wood.) I am truly thankful for that. But I’m also going a little crazy inside.

I don’t think our builder is going to be in a rush to sell the house out from underneath us— lots of people are stuck right now. And our finance guy seems reasonably certain that, as soon as I can show a paycheck, we can get a loan put together. However... everyone has told me it needs to be a salaried position, with a base minimum. (Not commission.) Normally, this would not be an insurmountable task. In fact, two employers have wanted to offer just that. But the conversation I just had this morning has me a little worried. Basically, he said that they, along with everybody else, can only offer straight commission right now. (Originally, it was a salaried position.) He went on to say that, with most dental schools having graduation next month, and tons of people in the same position, the market is going to be flooded with out of work dentists and businesses are going to be just offering straight commission, take-it-or-leave it. Just pick a warm body and plug them into place. And no one has any idea how busy they’ll be when they do start up. It’s a mess.

Obviously, we never had any idea something like this was going to happen when we started planning the move last year. Who does? So we’re now trying to plan, with one (maybe both) hands tied behind our backs. Do we try to extend our current lease at a higher cost? Give up on the house and find another temporary situation? Ugh. Put most everything into storage, stay at the in-laws (mostly) empty house temporarily? (An even longer story, and double ugh.) Get a monthly rate hotel and hope the job situation works out so we can close by summer? Who knows. 

And when I do start back, will it be safe? Most dentist offices don’t have sufficient PPE (from what I’ve seen) and we do some of the highest risk, aerosol producing procedures of any medical providers. I’m only in my 40’s but I also have type II diabetes. Getting this thing could be really bad for me and the prospect, frankly, scares the hell out of me. (And let’s not even get into the stats given at today’s press conference...)

So yeah, I definitely could use some encouragement right now. I’m guessing a lot of us do. I’m still taking walks every day, doing some reading, stuff like that. And I’m still looking at all the positives.(Which there definitely are!) So, if you’re feeling stressed or down, you’re not the only one. Hang it there! 

And this too shall pass.

How do you eat an elephant?

once all this is over it will still be chaotic as we all find 'normal' again, and I would be a betting man that the issue of salary/commission will become less of an issue for lenders especially if the housing market is gridlocked.  as for the new dentists hitting the market, sure the employers will have the upper hand picking and choosing who is more hungry for the jobs but remember you still have experience on your side. 

One bite at a time.

thought of you the other day, I saw a news article about dentists in PA having to shut down because new COVID19 regulations there require negative pressure treatment rooms. 

On 3/30/2020 at 7:14 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah maybe Americans will learn thru this we don’t have all the answers NOW and will have to adjust as events occur.

Really hope we learn that we’re not that special. IOW if something is hitting the rest of the world it’s not going to skip us or things will be different here

One can only hope. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, year1buick said:

And this too shall pass.

I'll say this, I'm very happy I'm still in dental school where my only worry is finishing up requirements rather than worrying about how long my practice is about to shut down for or get eaten up by a DSO. Saying that, not sure whether we're still going to graduate on time anymore, rumor is that our state could implement a "no more non-essential medical treatment until September" guideline just like Oregon did in order to keep PPE for the essential task of caring for COVID-19 patients. 

Hope everything works out for you, stay away from the cavitron! 

7 hours ago, JohnZ said:

How do you eat an elephant?

once all this is over it will still be chaotic as we all find 'normal' again, and I would be a betting man that the issue of salary/commission will become less of an issue for lenders especially if the housing market is gridlocked.  as for the new dentists hitting the market, sure the employers will have the upper hand picking and choosing who is more hungry for the jobs but remember you still have experience on your side. 

One bite at a time.

thought of you the other day, I saw a news article about dentists in PA having to shut down because new COVID19 regulations there require negative pressure treatment rooms. 

i'm really afraid they'll shut down physical therapy. i'm about a month from my left hand finally being where i need it to be

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I'll say this, I'm very happy I'm still in dental school where my only worry is finishing up requirements rather than worrying about how long my practice is about to shut down for or get eaten up by a DSO. Saying that, not sure whether we're still going to graduate on time anymore, rumor is that our state could implement a "no more non-essential medical treatment until September" guideline just like Oregon did in order to keep PPE for the essential task of caring for COVID-19 patients. 

Hope everything works out for you, stay away from the cavitron! 

You’re in dental school?  Good for you!  Where, if I may ask?

Got an email from my PA dentist that they can do “dental emergency’s” now. Not a lot of detail which has been the big shortcoming in the commonwealths response but they trying to keep up. All I really caught was if you your mouth is bleeding you can call your dentist

31 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You’re in dental school?  Good for you!  Where, if I may ask?

Thank you! Virginia Commonwealth University. I would disclose the year I am in, but with how small class sizes are, I'd rather not give any other information on a public forum.