Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I am encouraged by the early reports on a COVID19 vaccine created at Oxford, which was completely successful in its first trials on monkeys. A possible lucky break in that the researchers had previously developed the potential vaccine for SARS and were able to modify it in a hurry. Lots of hurdles still to clear, but if it works out, it could become available well before the 18-month schedule that has generally been understood (based on past vaccine efforts) to be the minimum amount of time needed.

Fingers crossed.

And obviously if this works out, the odds of a normal 2021 DCI season go up dramatically.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This is good but not particularly practical news: Can Lava Kill Coronavirus? An Investigation. The answer is yes.

There are bacteria that can live in water at a temperature of 250 F (higher than the boiling point, but not actually boiling because of huge pressures), but lava is at least 1,800 F, too hot for any microbe or any virus.

In all the reading, all the updates, all the publicity, all the wrong turns and unknowns about this virus, I have never once pondered whether lava kills it.   Now it has me thinking that when the Yellowstone Caldera blows, wherever molten rock lands, it will kill the Coronavirus. 

However, I think Forbes left a bit of a hole in their article because now I'm wondering if a pyroclastic flow also kills the Coronavirus. 

Or perhaps the article was really supposed to be about Lava hand soap and it sort of took a wrong turn - that soap does wonders when you think you'll never get your hands clean.

LAVA-Soap-Heavy-Duty-Hand-Cleaner_01.jpg

Edited by Continental
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Continental said:

Or perhaps the article was really supposed to be about Lava hand soap and it sort of took a wrong turn - that soap does wonders when you think you'll never get your hands clean.

LAVA-Soap-Heavy-Duty-Hand-Cleaner_01.jpg

According to scientific research, Lava soap will wash off Corona beer.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Was that in response to the Vietnam War?

Yes, esp year one, 1970. We did the Peace Sign drill to "White Rabbit". Tony "hic" Schlechta, the head of the VFW (and the announcer of the show), stated that we did not belong competing at VFW Nationals that year. However, the rank and file in Miami did not seem to mind. That spot in the show got a huge ovation. We formed the sign facing away, and as we turned to move it forward, there was a stadium full of photo flashes. It was amazing. 

We kept it for a few years, even after my last marching year, 1972. In 71 it was also our color-pre, this time to "Battle Hymn" as part of our Revolutionary War show. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I am encouraged by the early reports on a COVID19 vaccine created at Oxford, which was completely successful in its first trials on monkeys. A possible lucky break in that the researchers had previously developed the potential vaccine for SARS and were able to modify it in a hurry. Lots of hurdles still to clear, but if it works out, it could become available well before the 18-month schedule that has generally been understood (based on past vaccine efforts) to be the minimum amount of time needed.

Fingers crossed.

If you get injected with that, you immediately have a craving for  🍌

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

If you get injected with that, you immediately have a craving for  🍌

Well hope everyone that can’t get their hair cut is at least washing it like before. Or we’re going to be picking each other’s hair like a bunch of monkeys..... 

• Haha 2

Just took a walk with the dog because neighbor behind me has company. All sitting 15-20 feet away. But dog goes to fence for attention instead of taking a leak. So go for walk and here comes Gizmo the 5 pound ADD Yorkie. So have my arm out whole way with 4 foot leash and other owner has 10 foot retracting leash out full and her arm out whole way. Social distancing for dog owners lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This is good but not particularly practical news: Can Lava Kill Coronavirus? An Investigation. The answer is yes.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

There are bacteria that can live in water at a temperature of 250 F (higher than the boiling point, but not actually boiling because of huge pressures), but lava is at least 1,800 F, too hot for any microbe or any virus.

It should probably say “inactivate” or something like that when referring to viruses, since they’re not alive to begin with. Bacterial spores can stay viable in extremely harsh environments, for very long times. Not all can form them, however. If I recall correctly from my bacteriology classes, just the clostridium and bacillus genera. But both include some “fun” species. (Dentists and Mds have to think about clostridium defficile, for example, when prescribing clindamycin or certain long term antibiotics.)

59 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just took a walk with the dog because neighbor behind me has company. All sitting 15-20 feet away. But dog goes to fence for attention instead of taking a leak. So go for walk and here comes Gizmo the 5 pound ADD Yorkie. So have my arm out whole way with 4 foot leash and other owner has 10 foot retracting leash out full and her arm out whole way. Social distancing for dog owners lol.

My wife likes to take any one of our four mutts on walks but I hate having to stop every 20 feet for them to check out the smells and/or crap and pee. (The yorkie is the worst.)

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

But dog goes to fence for attention instead of taking a leak. 

Don't blame the dog.  They were just waiting to "take a leak" to another location.

Edited by Ghost