Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, likely more people were out and about watching Blue Angels and Thunderbirds flyovers  without proper social distancing. And as the flyovers  are continuing in cities across America, more still to come. 

I live in Northern N.J.

A number of people drove out to areas like Hoboken and Jersey City.where you could see the planes flying over Manhattan.

Apparently, some people complained that the people who went to look were,this this wasn't essential travel, violating Governor Murphy's "stay at home" order.

53 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Also I see Remdesivir is showing promise. So much so that [Brad Pitt] is excited about it. And so much so that even the NYT says it shows “modest benefits”.  Coming from that source it’s practically a ringing endorsement!  Interesting that none of you mentioned it. This is the encouragement thread after all. 

I was saving that bit of good news for today, having already posted five encouraging news items yesterday. Maybe subconsciously I was leaving it for you, as the originator of this thread and someone who's mentioned that drug in the past, to mention here.

200425235533-brad-pitt-fauci-snl-2-exlar

- - - - - - - - - -

Apparently I should also be feeling encouraged that I live in the U.S. rather than Sweden, where they took a looser approach to locking things down than many states did here, and they now are suffering in terms of total fatalities (2,462 as of yesterday), at least in comparison to their Scandinavian neighbors (Norway: 207; Denmark: 443 -- Finland: 206). Sweden is about twice as large as each of those others, so they probably ought to have a death toll of 1,000 or less.

Have there ever been any Swedish drum corps?

Is there a good list of all the countries known to have had a drum corps?

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

So much so that Dr Sexy err Fauci is excited about it.

Dr. Fauci joked about SNL hiring Brad Pitt to portray him and then it happened.

What actor would you want to play your part on film or TV?

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

So I wouldn’t just pick on one group.

I’m pointing out the stupidity of the group whose members I may come in contact with later. IOW ones that could be a hazard to myself or my loved ones. And to be clear I had no problem with the protesting. I have problems with both no social distancing and no masks. One can express their displeasure and still do it safely. What I saw was too many people showing that they were willing to do the exact opposite of what the government recommended. Even if it was for their good and the good of people they are around. Just too much “I’m a big boy and no one is going to tell me what to do!” And bunch of “Don’t Tread On Me Flags” and campaign signs and hats really lead me to believe that.

PS... PA is usually the state with 5th or 6th in total cases and has had 1000+ new cases a day for the last 2 plus weeks except for 1 day. Not like going out without protection is a safe thing

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Good news in PA is guv is willing to start opening things up by county in about 2 weeks. Plan is if a county has less than 50 cases per 100k population over past 2 weeks they can be considered for reopening. Bad new for my area is 2 counties out of 10 currently qualify. Numbers are 45 up to 200+ (my sisters county). 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, likely more people were out and about watching Blue Angels and Thunderbirds flyovers  without proper social distancing.

I don’t like to judge but that’s just wrong.  Those airplanes should fly at least 6 feet apart.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I don’t like to judge but that’s just wrong.  Those airplanes should fly at least 6 feet apart.  

I vaguely remember when one of the jet teams flew here, there was a picture in the newspaper that showed the planes pretty close to some skyscrapers --probably just a matter of image perspective-- which led to some tough questions for the air show about safety.

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Dr. Fauci joked about SNL hiring Brad Pitt to portray him and then it happened.

What actor would you want to play your part on film or TV?

Dom Deluise?

Ok I know, he’s deceased. I guess that leaves the Kool-Aid Man. 

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m pointing out the stupidity of the group whose members I may come in contact with later. IOW ones that could be a hazard to myself or my loved ones. And to be clear I had no problem with the protesting. I have problems with both no social distancing and no masks. One can express their displeasure and still do it safely. What I saw was too many people showing that they were willing to do the exact opposite of what the government recommended. Even if it was for their good and the good of people they are around. Just too much “I’m a big boy and no one is going to tell me what to do!” And bunch of “Don’t Tread On Me Flags” and campaign signs and hats really lead me to believe that.

PS... PA is usually the state with 5th or 6th in total cases and has had 1000+ new cases a day for the last 2 plus weeks except for 1 day. Not like going out without protection is a safe thing

To be clear - I’m not defending them. BUT at the same time, it’s kind of scary how quickly we all gave up our liberties. At some point, “consent of the governed” will become a dominating factor. You cannot run people out of business. The goal was to flatten the curve so as to not overwhelm the hospitals. It was not to drive cases to zero. Let’s keep sight of that. If the curve has been successfully flattened, it’s time to start the opening up process. Perhaps on a voluntary basis. So old coots like me can stay hidden away if desired. 

10 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

To be clear - I’m not defending them. BUT at the same time, it’s kind of scary how quickly we all gave up our liberties. At some point, “consent of the governed” will become a dominating factor. You cannot run people out of business. The goal was to flatten the curve so as to not overwhelm the hospitals. It was not to drive cases to zero. Let’s keep sight of that. If the curve has been successfully flattened, it’s time to start the opening up process. Perhaps on a voluntary basis. So old coots like me can stay hidden away if desired. 

Oh I agree up to a point. Like I said I’m not against people getting together to show they disagree. Just the open things up message got really lost with disregard for safety and signs, etc that had nothing to do with reopening businesses. (Biggest sign was anti gay marriage.) Turned into a gripe against the government more than showing support for businesses based on video I saw. And living 5 minute drive away got to see a lot of local media video.

And like I posted earlier, PA is looking to start reopening based on county. 

edit: just read about the protest in MI. Most not wearing masks and not using social distancing. Darwin must be smiling....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1