Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

41 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

As I said, no problem with protesting...safely, which many were not doing.  How did you conclude most DC folks work from home on laptops receiving a full paycheck?  

NM...😷

Edited by GUARDLING

26 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

As I said, no problem with protesting...safely, which many were not doing.  How did you conclude most DC folks work from home on laptops receiving a full paycheck?  

Lets see , God forbid any of them get it how fast they run to the front of the line for treatment/

JMO, BUT sometimes ignorance can be bliss and sometimes ignorance is just ignorance

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Lets see , God forbid any of them get it how fast they run to the front of the line for treatment/

JMO, BUT sometimes ignorance can be bliss and sometimes ignorance is just ignorance

I worked Dept of Defense and would be working at home if I hadn’t retired just before this hit. Figure it made up for all the bad timing in my life. 

But the ignorance bit reminds me of a co-worker just before we had one of the government shutdowns. He hated the administration at the time and went off that “they” should shut everything down permanently. I asked him what was he going to do for money as both him and his wife (another fed worker) would be unemployed. I got this blank look and “what do you mean” as a response. Guy never put 2 and 2 together....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Most "DC folks" have the luxury of working from home on their laptops and collecting a full paycheck.  That's not the case for most Michigan residents, and except for bringing firearms to their protest I agree with them. 

There.  I feel encouraged now. 😀

Do you agree with no masks and no social distancing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

So much for being an encouragement thread. Do we really need to go through another round of this? 

i'm encouraged that others feel like me

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

On this point, accuracy is important. [...] 

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I partially :lle: thank you for remembering... but you only partially conveyed my message. [...]

We remember the sequence of events differently, but in this thread's spirit of mutual encouragement, I'm going to leave it at that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

So much for being an encouragement thread. Do we really need to go through another round of this? 

In a 1964 letter, J.R.R. Tolkien explained why he never got very far on his sequel (tentatively called "The New Shadow") to The Lord of the Rings:

"I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good."

Anyway, this was how I first encountered Tolkien's work:

The songs were catchy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Are you just being argumentative? Or just glib?  

I am just asking a question.

I have no time for that.  

Fair enough.  Yet you had time to respond...

The consensus from medical experts is that social distancing, a primary guideline, is a significant contributor to slowing the transmission of the virus.  

I agree.

So yes there is a cause and effect correlation.

And we agree that it is a correlation.  But again, correlation does not prove cause-and-effect.  So my question (which was only about the "proven" part) still stands.