Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Looking at federal guidelines info above wondering what areas can match the testing portion.

That is the slippery part.

Since we keep changing how cases/deaths are counted, as well as how many/what kinds of testing, that creates bumps in the trends.  We can only hope that the experts are getting all the details, and that they have a way of parsing those changes in methodology in order to track the true 14-day trends upon which they base recommendations.

28 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Personally, I think it gets attention largely because sadly many people have an interest in portraying it as representative of a much larger segment of the population they wish to discredit.

That's a fair point.

However, sometimes a tiny minority has an outsided effect. For example:

"In Stillwater, Okla., officials abandoned a requirement that people wear masks in shops and restaurants after workers were faced with violent threats."

So it's true, as you say, that we can be encouraged most people don't act that way, but those that do, few as they are, can put others at risk. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some of them were. For instance, one projection in late February was that the 15 cases in the U.S. would soon be 0 cases. That was wrong.

At some point in March in our discussions here, I skeptically pointed to a projection from a prominent think tank writer a few weeks earlier that claimed the U.S. would max out at 500 deaths. At about that time, the same analyst revised his projection to 5,000 deaths. In mid-April, that commentator revised the projection again, to 50,000 deaths. All those were wrong too.

I heard today with excess of 66 thousand the projections of over 100 thous. could be reached before end of summer going into fall. OH and by the way. I had to take someone to the hospital just a few days ago, was covid tested and had to spend a night in the covid unit till test came back ( thankfully neg. ) BUT 2 people died that same day, both under 40. Thant same hospital just a few weeks ago had more deaths with a few also under 40

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

That is the slippery part.

Since we keep changing how cases/deaths are counted, as well as how many/what kinds of testing, that creates bumps in the trends.  We can only hope that the experts are getting all the details, and that they have a way of parsing those changes in methodology in order to track the true 14-day trends upon which they base recommendations.

I was thinking the ability to get enough test kits or perform the tests. But what you said also....

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

Oh, and by the way, I had to take someone to the hospital just a few days ago, was covid tested and had to spend a night in the covid unit till test came back (thankfully neg.) 

Yikes! Stay safe!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just a few posts up, I specifically noted that the United Kingdom has a worse per capita COVID-19 death rate than the United States.

Speaking of the U.K., weren't Kidsgrove Scouts supposed to participate in DCI this summer?

And speaking of dead U.K. Prime Ministers,  Benjamin Disraeli famously said, “There are three kinds of lies: lies, #### lies, and statistics.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes.  Shutting it all down just punishes the 99+% who are following guidelines, while making no effort to teach those few who missed the memo.

Some encouragement:

As I said earlier, being up front and a little to personal in the emergency room and then outside a covid unit was a scary situation. The true hero's are truly, the Dr's, nurses, aid's , room cleaners etc etc not the back patting people we see daily on many levels

The level of fear was off the chart and to see them literally run into the fire was crazy. THEY are true hero's ! Made me think how many of those who get tv, radio, internet, twitter exposure would actually have the nerve these hero's do.

To see what I did was scary but to see the care, the courage of these people was amazing.

God bless and God help them all.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trying to say this in a way while staying within dcp guidelines. Just read a report that some of the MI protestors have ties to anti-government groups. This is based on clothing and emblems worn plus social media posts that have been found. Read it as you like but imo would explain the lack of masks and distancing. So (again imo) the average MI resident was not totally represented 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Trying to say this in a way while staying within dcp guidelines. Just read a report that some of the MI protestors have ties to anti-government groups. This is based on clothing and emblems worn plus social media posts that have been found. Read it as you like but imo would explain the lack of masks and distancing. 

and yet....youre a smart guy Jim..Im sure you know what I could say...BUT GUIDELINES😷

• Haha 2