Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

and yet....youre a smart guy Jim..Im sure you know what I could say...BUT GUIDELINES😷

Oh you don’t know how long it took me to be as diplomatic as I was.... and how many edits... lol

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some of them were. For instance, one projection in late February was that the 15 cases in the U.S. would soon be 0 cases. That was wrong.

At some point in March in our discussions here, I skeptically pointed to a projection from a prominent think tank writer a few weeks earlier that claimed the U.S. would max out at 500 deaths. At about that time, the same analyst revised his projection to 5,000 deaths. In mid-April, that commentator revised the projection again, to 50,000 deaths. All those were wrong too.

CA’s Governor told us 20 million people (1/2 the state’s population) would become infected and he used that to justify the shut-down.  Most everyone willingly complied. 

We know more now.  80% of those whom have sadly passed were over 70 and/or in a hospital or convalescent home.  The young(ish) and healthy are not dying in droves, our hospitals are not overwhelmed, so why do we quarantine them instead of just the elderly and medically compromised?  We could focus on them, the vulnerable, not the young & healthy whose chances of dying of COVID-19 is statistically remote.  And meanwhile we plunge the country into economic suicide.

Are people’s economic livelihood not a health issue too?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And speaking of dead U.K. Prime Ministers,  Benjamin Disraeli famously said, “There are three kinds of lies: lies, #### lies, and statistics.”

Hmm, I thought that was Mark Twain.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

CA’s Governor told us 20 million people (1/2 the state’s population) would become infected and he used that to justify the shut-down.  Most everyone willingly complied. 

We know more now.  80% of those whom have sadly passed were over 70 and/or in a hospital or convalescent home.  The young(ish) and healthy are not dying in droves, our hospitals are not overwhelmed, so why do we quarantine them instead of just the elderly and medically compromised?  We could focus on them, the vulnerable, not the young & healthy whose chances of dying of COVID-19 is statistically remote.  And meanwhile we plunge the country into economic suicide.

Are people’s economic livelihood not a health issue too?

A concern is the young healthy people are infecting the older vulnerable people. Sweden is letting the herd mentality govern and older people are dying.

But all is cool for young “healthy” people who may be contributing to the deaths of older people.   But hey they are older, so what.  Say bye bye to Grammy and Grampy.  So long as you are working what do you care? 

Edited by LabMaster
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

A concern is the young healthy people are infecting the older vulnerable people. Sweden is letting the herd mentality govern and older people are dying.

But all is cool for young “healthy” people who may be contributing to the deaths of older people.   But hey they are older, so what.  Say bye bye to Grammy and Grampy.  So long as you are working what do you care? 

AND it is a total misconception that young people are not dying or sick. I said it earlier with what i was told at a hospital I had to bring someone to.

Your'e right and IMO it's pretty pathetic. Now a good question would be how many children are born or have some kind of pre existing condition, how many young people under 40.

There's a station touting the old people talking point right now as I'm typing...so sad

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree with that only if people will follow social distancing while outside.... But like my mom would say it only takes a few people to screw it up for everyone 

In my town, they opened a lake for people to visit, maintaining social distancing. A large group of 40 people decided to get together, so the mayor closed down the lake. He said he would try again next week, with more signs and cops patrolling. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

AND it is a total misconception that young people are not dying or sick. I said it earlier with what i was told at a hospital I had to bring someone to.

Your'e right and IMO it's pretty pathetic. Now a good question would be how many children are born or have some kind of pre existing condition, how many young people under 40.

There's a station touting the old people talking point right now as I'm typing...so sad

I am stunned at what I believe to be blatant selfishness of many (not all) protesters and people being socially irresponsible.  I am seeing it increase day after day in my area (NH).  We are in it together, just some more than others.  I swing back and forth thinking I must be tolerant of others and their feelings and concerns, and levels of anger about how they don’t care about whether I die because of their behavior.  I will rely on their eventual awareness that they need to give a €%## about us older folks.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I am stunned at what I believe to be blatant selfishness of many (not all) protesters and people being socially irresponsible.  I am seeing it increase day after day in my area (NH).  We are in it together, just some more than others.  I swing back and forth thinking I must be tolerant of others and their feelings and concerns, and levels of anger about how they don’t care about whether I die because of their behavior.  I will rely on their eventual awareness that they need to give a €%## about us older folks.

Yet they would push to get to front of the line if God for bid they or a loved one needed help.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I thought so too, but according to Wikipedia while Twain popularized it in a book in 1907, the phrase came long before that. Twain actually said, incorrectly, that it was Disraeli who created it. 

Lies, etc

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, they were contemporaries so I am not sure who coined the phrase first, but regardless, the sentiment is still apropos.