Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

AND it is a total misconception that young people are not dying or sick. I said it earlier with what i was told at a hospital I had to bring someone to.

Your'e right and IMO it's pretty pathetic. Now a good question would be how many children are born or have some kind of pre existing condition, how many young people under 40.

There's a station touting the old people talking point right now as I'm typing...so sad

Don't know who said young people have not gotten sick, or have died.  I said 80% of COVID-19 deaths are age 70 or older (a.k.a. most of whom are already retired).  That statistic doesn't come from Fox News, the N.Y. Times, MSNBC, or any other news outlet.  It comes from the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/older-adults.html

That's a fact, not fear or emotion.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Don't know who said young people have not gotten sick, or have died.  I said 80% of COVID-19 deaths are age 70 or older (a.k.a. most of whom are already retired).  That statistic doesn't come from Fox News, the N.Y. Times, MSNBC, or any other news outlet.  It comes from the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/older-adults.html

That's a fact, not fear or emotion.  

Even if I believed whats spewed out daily ( not you , Im talking about ) that's alot of people.

Unfortunately I've seen some of this 1st hand and no statistic means a thing when you have or know someone or if you are one of the people who some like to put real people out there as a number.

And as another posted, there can be way more out there who haven't been tested and to put everyone out there as if they are immune does not mean they aren't contributing  to the misfortune of others. Those  people have every right to put their life at risk BUT not others, No matter what the age. 

What we view with many of the protests, and YES people have the right to lawfully protest but seeing is seeing and there's no dancing around the irresponsibility in plain view.

An interesting stat might be, how many non symptomatic or young people actually infected those over a certain age.

That I'm sure will never be known BUT when you see some elderly who even before this never left their homes now infected makes one think.

Stay Safe!

Stay Healthy

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

A concern is the young healthy people are infecting the older vulnerable people. Sweden is letting the herd mentality govern and older people are dying.

But all is cool for young “healthy” people who may be contributing to the deaths of older people.   But hey they are older, so what.  Say bye bye to Grammy and Grampy.  So long as you are working what do you care? 

I don't want to bump-off Grammy or Grampy either since I'm one myself.  But let those who are young, healthy, and statistically not at risk from dying go to work so their lives are not destroyed along with our entire country.

Us old people can continue to social distance, quarantine, shop at special hours, and use Zoom until a vaccine or viable treatment is found.

1 minute ago, greg_orangecounty said:

[1] CA’s Governor told us 20 million people (1/2 the state’s population) would become infected and he used that to justify the shut-down.  Most everyone willingly complied. 

[2] We know more now.  80% of those whom have sadly passed were over 70 and/or in a hospital or convalescent home.  The young(ish) and healthy are not dying in droves, our hospitals are not overwhelmed, so why do we quarantine them instead of just the elderly and medically compromised?  We could focus on them, the vulnerable, not the young & healthy whose chances of dying of COVID-19 is statistically remote.  And meanwhile we plunge the country into economic suicide.

[3] Are people’s economic livelihood not a health issue too?

To take these out of order:

[3] Yes, but not anywhere near to the degree that the loss of well over 100,000 lives (that's what we're trending toward now) is a health issue.

[2] If you look back at what people were saying in February, you'll find that pretty much no one was saying the young and healthy would die in droves.  All the reports from early on made it clear that the elderly were particularly vulnerable. Here on DCP, I posted a chart showing that very thing -- and some people complained that I was overstating the risk to older Americans.

[1] This is like if your doctor tells you to exercise more and eat better to avoid developing a heart condition, and then you do, and you don't have a heart attack, and you complain that she made you go to all that trouble for nothing.

These are the kind of predictions that some people here were making a couple months ago:

Feb. 26: "I don't believe we will be talking about this by June. Everything is over-hyped and I don't believe this will be an exception."

Mar. 2: "33,800 people died from the Hong Kong flu in the United States alone in 1968.  Not that precautions should not be taken now, but this is SO over-hyped by the media it is beyond ridiculous."

Now that the official COVID-19 death toll in the U.S. has far exceeded the after-the-fact calculation of the 1968 H.K. flu death toll in the U.S., this feels rather like a "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" moment.*

And speaking of reported vs. actual counts, this piece on Scientific American's website doing a better job conveying something I was trying to explain earlier today:  

"The 25,000 to 69,000 numbers ... do not represent counted flu deaths per year; they are estimates that the CDC produces by multiplying the number of flu death counts reported by various coefficients produced through complicated algorithms. These coefficients are based on assumptions of how many cases, hospitalizations, and deaths they believe went unreported. In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts."

So in any given year, the official flu deaths calculated after the fact by the CDC, the ones that everyone was citing when they argued that COVID-19 was going to be no worse than the flu, were SIX TIMES HIGHER than the actual number of flu deaths that were actually reported each year. Or to make the point visually:

EXBfeaSUMAY7cPA?format=jpg&name=large

- - - - - - - - - -

*Speaking of which, did you know that Herman Melville, author of Moby Dick, wrote a poem about Abraham Lincoln's assassination? I only learned that today, and bleak though it is, I post it here in the encouragement thread as a reminder that even in dark times, people are capable of creating great art:

The Martyr

Indicative of the passion of the people
on the 15th of April, 1865

Good Friday was the day
Of the prodigy and crime,
When they killed him in his pity,
When they killed him in his prime
Of clemency and calm—
When with yearning he was filled
To redeem the evil-willed,
And, though conqueror, be kind;
But they killed him in his kindness,
In their madness, in their blindness,
And they killed him from behind

There is sobbing of the strong,
And a pall upon the land;
But the People in their weeping
Bare the iron hand:
Beware the People weeping
When they bare the iron hand.

He lieth in his blood—
The father in his face;
They have killed him, the Forgiver—
The Avenger takes his place,
The Avenger wisely stern,
Who in righteousness shall do
What the heavens call him to,
And the parricides remand;
For they killed him in his kindness
In their madness and their blindness,
And his blood is on their hand.

There is sobbing of the strong,
And a pall upon the land;
But the People in their weeping
Bare the iron hand:
Beware the People weeping
When they bare the iron hand.

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Speaking of which, did you know that Herman Melville, author of Moby Dick, wrote a poem about Abraham Lincoln's assassination? I only learned that today, and bleak though it is, I post it here in the encouragement thread as a reminder that even in dark times, people are capable of creating great art:

Also it's perhaps in keeping with the earlier discussion of Melville's contemporaries, Twain and Disraeli. (By the way, in addition to being Prime Minister, Disraeli was also an accomplished novelist.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

And as another posted, there can be way more out there who haven't been tested and to put everyone out there as if they are immune does not mean they aren't contributing  to the misfortune of others. Those  people have every right to put their life at risk BUT not others, No matter what the age. 

So what do you suggest?  Should we lock down essential workers too?  I mean, what right do they have to put the rest of us at risk?  

20 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So what do you suggest?  Should we lock down essential workers too?  I mean, what right do they have to put the rest of us at risk?  

Of course not.i don't think hair cuts, tattoos etc are essential ..but some may think those things àre worth a risk😷😷😷😷if you read back further i think we may have been talking about those who aren't following guidelines like the genius protesters. Now maybe ask the same of the poster I was agreeing with😁they may elaborate more. Actually they did in their post.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

However, the example of South Korea is instructive.

Absolutely.  Smaller nations, closer to the source of the pandemic, and with histories of more authoritarian government, can use more aggressive testing before the global supply of reagents runs out.

11 hours ago, LabMaster said:

A concern is the young healthy people are infecting the older vulnerable people. Sweden is letting the herd mentality govern and older people are dying.

You really have no idea what is going on in Sweden, do you?

But all is cool for young “healthy” people who may be contributing to the deaths of older people.   But hey they are older, so what.  Say bye bye to Grammy and Grampy.  So long as you are working what do you care? 

Is it not possible to care about both death/destruction from the virus and death/destruction from the lockdowns?  This is not binary.

18 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The entire country was in maximum "slow the spread" mode around that time.  Are you contending that social distancing is causing the death rate to rise?

I think it is just a coincidence.  

Nope.