Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

46 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You really have no idea what is going on in Sweden, do you?

Is it not possible to care about both death/destruction from the virus and death/destruction from the lockdowns?  This is not binary.

Yes.

How are lockdowns (and they aren’t really lockdowns) contributing to death and destruction?

Encouragement: can’t find the article now but 9(?) northeastern states are working on plans to buy medical equipment together. That way if crap hits the fan again they won’t be competing against each other to get the supplies. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Encouragement: can’t find the article now but 9(?) northeastern states are working on plans to buy medical equipment together. That way if crap hits the fan again they won’t be competing against each other to get the supplies. 

New York , Penn ,Conn,  NJ ,  Mass. RI , Del,..I think

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

How are lockdowns (and they aren’t really lockdowns) contributing to death and destruction?

Lockdowns cause death and destruction in far more ways than I could possibly explain here.  Since this is the encouragement thread, I will have to keep this short.

- Elective surgeries, banned as part of lockdown measures, are not just LASIK and facelifts.  They include an endless array of necessary procedures that are only "elective" in a scheduling sense.  The risk of death while awaiting surgery increases with time.

- Other diagnostic medical work is being curtailed, at the risk of potentially fatal issues transpiring which would have been preventable under normal operating procedures.

- Due to the extent of the above, healthcare jobs are being lost and facilities shut down.  Much of this occurs in areas with little C-19 activity, due to statewide bans triggered by conditions in hot spots.

- More generally, shutting down half the economy inevitably increases poverty.  And poverty is linked to morbidity.

- Suicide, already a leading cause of death, will rise due to forced loss of jobs and other freedoms.

- Substance abuse, same deal.

- Domestic abuse, add to the above the increased confinement and isolation...

- If violent crime was not already certain to increase, add to that the premature release of prisoners in some areas as part of their C-19 response.

Oh, almost forgot - if the governor of your state thinks it really is a lockdown, it is a lockdown no matter what your opinion may be.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

New York , Penn ,Conn,  NJ ,  Mass. RI , Del,..I think

Thanks found it in another source. Somehow I had MD in there but not so.

Top 3 states in number of cases plus #6 and #10 currently.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Absolutely.  Smaller nations, closer to the source of the pandemic, and with histories of more authoritarian government, can use more aggressive testing before the global supply of reagents runs out.

The United States surpassed South Korea in overall number of tests well over a month ago and (as I noted in the post you're quoting) in per capita number of tests nearly two weeks ago.

So the "global supply of reageants" has nothing to do with the fact that they tested more people earlier.

But as I said, our increased rate of testing is an encouraging sign, and something we should continue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You really have no idea what is going on in Sweden, do you?

Sweden's per capita fatality rate from COVID-19 is three times that of Denmark and five times that of Norway and Finland.

Let's call that encouraging news for the latter three countries.

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, almost forgot - if the governor of your state thinks it really is a lockdown, it is a lockdown no matter what your opinion may be.

Here in Ohio, a variety of measures were put into place starting in mid-March. None were called "lockdowns", but the one that is starting to be loosened today was called a "stay at home order". I can't read the governor's mind, so I can't tell you whether he thinks it's a lockdown or not. I guess that means no one can say whether it is or it isn't.

But hey, not having the power to read people's minds is probably for the best, so that's encouraging.

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sweden's per capita fatality rate from COVID-19 is three times that of Denmark and five times that of Norway and Finland.

My response was addressing a post claiming that Sweden was not making an effort to protect their at-risk populations, echoing the popular fake-news insinuation branding their policies as pursuing herd immunity.

In reality, Sweden is socially distancing, not pursuing herd immunity.  They adopted a slow-the-spread approach to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed.  Group gatherings have been prohibited.  Nursing home visitation has been banned.  They have closed grade schools and universities.  Government has also expanded sick leave, directed people work from home, suspend unnecessary travel... any of this sound familiar?

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here in Ohio, a variety of measures were put into place starting in mid-March. None were called "lockdowns", but the one that is starting to be loosened today was called a "stay at home order". 

The word "lockdown" is common shorthand being used for brevity vs. having to repeat "mandatory stay-at-home order", "closure of non-essential businesses and services", or any other synonymous combinations of those two elements.