Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

20 hours ago, Continental said:

Constantly Risking Absurdity?

It's actually "Through a Glass Darkly."

Yes! But which of the four images is from that film?

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A year from now, when Sweden has herd immunity and there's still no vaccine, they may be able to go about their business completely unencumbered and with few new infections, while Sweden's neighbors and the U.S. may still be suffering both from the virus and from lockdown constraints.

And we can ponder that while watching our favorite Ingmar Bergman movies.

seventh-seal-1957-001-dance-of-death-00m

through-a-glass-darkly-1.jpg?w=640&h=480

Review_202_Photo_6_-_Sawdust_and_Tinsel_

cries-and-whispers-e1543522769840.jpg

Question: which of those four images comes from a film that shares a title with a Blue Devils show?

One Bergman film, not pictured above, was the source for a musical that includes a song with a storied drum corps tradition. Anyone know what that song is?

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

(And just after I posted this, I saw that someone today in Wisconsin argued that COVID-19 is no big deal because it only affects meat-packing workers and not "regular folks". This comment was made by someone working remotely who seems to have no intention of going back to work in person any time soon. As I said before, the real message of too many pushing the "open up" narrative is: "You should get back to work, lazy bum, to make life easier for me while I stay home." 

If you have not already retracted/apologized by the time I submit this post, you will have to show me where anyone is advocating what you said there

And what is "the open up narrative", anyway?  We are going to open back up.  We were always going to open back up.  Job-stopping lockdowns are limited, temporary measures to slow the spread so that the healthcare system is not overwhelmed.  Reopening is not a "narrative" - it is the plan.  (And it is encouraging to see us starting to get there.)

It's also pretty wild that in Wisconsin of all places, where the pro football team is named for meat packers, those workers would be described as second-class citizens.)

Just recently, you posted that the virus was disproportionately affecting nursing home residents.  By your standard, you must have been calling all nursing home residents "second-class citizens".  Seems like a second retraction/apology may be warranted.

Edited by cixelsyd

Squirrel!

(Literally. And a pretty adorable one at that.)

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Oh this stopped being the encouragement thread a few days ago. Now it’s the new COVID-19 catch all thread, just like all the previously closed COVID-19 threads.

True.  We've been monitoring and resisted the urge to close it several times.  we are trying to be supportive and keep an outlet open, but the end is near.

More encouraging signs that we will be opening again soon.  probably going to start with Disney Springs next week.

17 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

True.  We've been monitoring and resisted the urge to close it several times.  we are trying to be supportive and keep an outlet open, but the end is near.

More encouraging signs that we will be opening again soon.  probably going to start with Disney Springs next week.

Catch anyone else camping out at Dizzy World? 

And think a lot of people in places of responsibility are getting worn out and stressed over loosening the stay at home orders. Know I would NOT want to be the person to say “start opening” not knowing how bad it might affect people’s health and lives. Especially with the amount of crap they get either way. Willing to concede more than a few foot in mouth episodes or words that could be taken more than one way. 

on topic: PA went below 900 new cases first time since ??? Deaths still up there but 20+ counties still on track to partially reopen Friday

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

I just took your "Too many Sharknados" comment and went from there even though you must have been thinking of something else.

It's a crappy movie with crappy sequels. 

The only movie worse than Sharknado is the one with Lindsay Lohan and the fake British accent. 

Edited by Continental

48 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If you have not already [...]

Not going to happen. Sent you a PM. Bowing out of this public conversation. Rainbows only from now on!

5d95a344-70bb-476b-b1d9-dea82744b6b3_scr

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

It's a crappy movie with crappy sequels. 

The only movie worse than Sharknado [...]

Plan 9 From Outer Space? Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just got a text that a local flea market will be open this weekend.

When you consider how the Bubonic Plague was spread, buying fleas seems especially unwise at this juncture.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Plan 9 From Outer Space? Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?

Plan 9 is fun for catching the cardboard gravestones, background that goes from light to dark to light in supposedly a few minutes. And the classic growing Bela Lugosi. For those unaware Bela passed during (tight before?) filming and director Ed Wood recast his wife’s hairdresser even though he was a good half foot taller. Watch Bela character standing next to the vampire lady. When shot from the back he’s taller,  from the front shorter. 😆

Almost forgot the cop who scratches his head... with the barrel of his gun

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Couldn’t spell Lugosi...