Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Maybe, but grass doesn't grow on a busy street.

... or on concrete.... 😛

kicker is the beard is growing great since I’m not trimming until I can get a haircut for what’s left of the top of my head 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Encouraging report from the New York Times: "There had been concern that people with mild or asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 might not produce antibodies. Good news: New research suggests that most everyone [who contracts the disease] does make antibodies, and at levels likely to confer some immunity."

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Don’t forget balding..... 😜

(yeah we’ve know each other for quite a while)

you had hair back then?

• Haha 1

Congratulations to the people in Alaska, Hawai'i, Montana, and Vermont: you seem to have beaten COVID-19. And ten other states are making great progress.

EXr_BVTXkAAfIHE?format=jpg&name=4096x409

But successful states mustn't get over-confident. South Korea just had to shut down its bars and nightclubs again after a new outbreak in Seoul.

(Also I'm not sure why Maine gets rated as "nearly there" based on that upward-trending curve.)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Has there ever been a finalist- or even semifinalist-quality drum corps, junior or senior, from Alaska, Hawai'i, Montana, or Vermont?

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Congratulations to the people in Alaska, Hawai'i, Montana, and Vermont: you seem to have beaten COVID-19. And ten other states are making great progress.

But successful states mustn't get over-confident. South Korea just had to shut down its bars and nightclubs again after a new outbreak in Seoul.

(Also I'm not sure why Maine gets rated as "nearly there" based on that upward-trending curve.)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Has there ever been a finalist- or even semifinalist-quality drum corps, junior or senior, from Alaska, Hawai'i, Montana, or Vermont?

Wow, apart from a couple exceptions, seems like mostly the southern and flyover states are really struggling to get this in control. 

I'm very happy to see how New York is doing, especially with all the coverage they've been getting. If the epicenter of this country's virus can get things in control, surely less populated areas like Kentucky can as well. 

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

- - - - - - - - - - -

Interesting.  I’m very visually oriented so I like things like this.  That said, it would paint a much truer picture if the graphs were scaled relative to population rather than to make the max point peak at the top of every graph.  That way the slopes could be meaningly compared.  

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Interesting.  I’m very visually oriented so I like things like this.  That said, it would paint a much truer picture if the graphs were scaled relative to population rather than to make the max point peak at the top of every graph.  That way the slopes could be meaningly compared.  

Not possible.  To display New York would require a monitor so large it would violate my stay-at-home order.

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Vermont had an excellent one from Montpelier.  They missed finals by one spot at the 1930 American Legion convention.  That year, only the top ten preliminary finishers advanced to challenge the defending champion in an 11-corps final.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2020 at 3:47 PM, Cappybara said:

Governor of Virginia announced a couple days ago that the state is receiving three sterilization units that will, in total, allow for the sterilization of 240,000 units of PPE per day for re-use. That will be huge for helping the hospital systems cope with any future or current surges. Very encouraging. 

I am very thankful our governor is a former physician, he is taking this situation much more seriously than other states are (looking at you Florida, don't make me pull out the Bugs Bunny gif chopping you off from the mainland).

Maybe we should be more encouraged by Florida after all:

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Florida_05_05.pngVirginia_05_05.png