Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

It's been rough these past few weeks as I've had a immediate family member who had to go into the hospital via the ER & we've lost 2 older relatives.  We don't think the deaths were related to COVID-19 but they were both residents in local nursing homes.  We were unable to go into the hospital & the private graveside services were limited to 10 relatives.  Crazy times but the hospital, funeral home, & nursing facility have been great considering the circumstances.  Sorry if this video has been posted.  Keep your chin up!

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not possible.  To display New York would require a monitor so large it would violate my stay-at-home order.

Ha that’s what I was trying to avoid by scaling per population.  But you are right.  New York has over 10 times as many cases per capita as many states, and like 40 times as many cases per capita as Alaska.  

That is why the slope is so distorted, though, among the different states.  For most states, if the same scale as New York is used, the curves would be much lower, smoother, and flatter.  

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe we should be more encouraged by Florida after all:

Very possibly!

But as per skevinps's very reasonable concern about how all the little graphs in that illustration I provided are misleading because they're drawn to show every state peaking at the same height, note that the two selections you make, which show Florida having turned a corner in terms of number of cases while Virginia is still moving up, indicate that Florida has had almost twice as many cases as Virginia.

Not that Virginia should rest easy based on that point, since logically it means Virginia at best will finish with the same number of cases that Florida currently has.

41 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Very possibly!

But as per skevinps's very reasonable concern about how all the little graphs in that illustration I provided are misleading because they're drawn to show every state peaking at the same height, note that the two selections you make, which show Florida having turned a corner in terms of number of cases while Virginia is still moving up, indicate that Florida has had almost twice as many cases as Virginia.

Not that Virginia should rest easy based on that point, since logically it means Virginia at best will finish with the same number of cases that Florida currently has.

Well, but Florida has over twice as many people as Virginia.  Virginia already has more cases per capita than Florida.  

Lots of people don’t realize how populous Florida is.  It is third in population behind California and Texas.  New York is fourth.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Well, but Florida has over twice as many people as Virginia.  Virginia already has more cases per capita than Florida.  

Lots of people don’t realize how populous Florida is.  It is third in population behind California and Texas.  New York is fourth.  

My thought exactly which is why I try to find “per 1000/per capita” stats.  

PA is fifth in population and 6th in number of cases....

Thinking of how pure numbers line up my zip code has 107 cases last I looked. Doesn’t sound bad until you line it up with another number of roughly 9500. That’s the population so over 1% have caught coronavirus. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

My takeaway from this is that kittens are underappreciated:

EXwjC2aXkAQdjbT?format=png&name=large

(source)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Germany has had 7,661 Covid-19 deaths. Germany's population is 83 million. That works out to  91 deaths per million.

That article quotes someone who says Germany should have followed Sweden's model. 

Sweden has had 3,256 Covid-19 deaths. Sweden's population is 10 million. That works out to 322 deaths per million.

Ohio, where I live, has more than 11 million people. We've had 1,271 deaths here.

In other words, my state is doing nearly three times better than Sweden. Go Bucks! (But not quite as well as Germany.)

• Like 1