Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

I wonder how many thousands of undiagnosed cancer cases have occurred since the Covid quarantine started. My point?  The idea was to flatten the curve and not overwhelm hospitals. Good job has been done in both areas. Zero Covid deaths at the expense of cancer deaths, diabetes deaths, suicides, etc. is not logical at all. A balance is needed. I’m glad to see some reopening occurring. I hope a spike in Covid doesn’t occur. Doctors shouldn’t be getting laid off during a pandemic. I hope to see an opening up of so-called non-essential procedures. I personally know of a friend who fell and thinks they cracked ribs but are afraid to go to the doctor. Here’s hoping we can move forward beyond this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I wonder how many thousands of undiagnosed cancer cases have occurred since the Covid quarantine started. My point?  The idea was to flatten the curve and not overwhelm hospitals. Good job has been done in both areas. Zero Covid deaths at the expense of cancer deaths, diabetes deaths, suicides, etc. is not logical at all. A balance is needed. I’m glad to see some reopening occurring. I hope a spike in Covid doesn’t occur. Doctors shouldn’t be getting laid off during a pandemic. I hope to see an opening up of so-called non-essential procedures. I personally know of a friend who fell and thinks they cracked ribs but are afraid to go to the doctor. Here’s hoping we can move forward beyond this. 

At least one health system in PA started doing non-essential procedures few weeks back. Reason was curve was flattened here (even if we have 6th highest # of cases in the country) and beds, ICU units and ventilators were not overwhelmed (nice website to check that). As for not wanting to go to doctor I had bunch of hearing appointments I cancelled because there were at a large teaching hospital and place gets crowded. Fear of not wanting to go to doctor (for me anyway) is not going to lessen when things start to reopen locally

edit: just saw where my hearing appointments will be held will soon be allowing non-essential operations and opening up more clinical services. Article has nice quick blurb on new prevention procedures. Will wait for full details from the place and check their website for details. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

My takeaway from this is that kittens are underappreciated:

EXwjC2aXkAQdjbT?format=png&name=large

(source)

And 99% do not trust polls.  

Polls are easily manipulated.  Word the question a little differently, or ask it at a slightly different time, and the results can change quite a bit.  

But why stop there?  When a third party changes the wording after the fact, that distorts things even further.  This is a great example.

86)  Imagine my surprise when I went to the source (the real source, ipsos.com, April 24th), and found this was the full description of the 86% finding (underlining by me):

"Almost all Americans (86%) support social distancing policies saying ‘social distancing and stay-at-home orders are responsible government policies that are saving lives’."

This version removed all reference to social distancing, and added the reference to "over-reaction" as their own spin.  Fake news.

85)  Another lie of omission.  Going to the source (npr.org), the poll they took April 21-26 actually asked (emphasis mine) "Do you think it’s a good idea or a bad idea to do each of the following without further testing for the coronavirus?".  Under that insanely moot hypothetical, 85% voted it a bad idea.

91)  Same poll, same wording, same omission of said wording... same fraud.

85)  The Ipsos poll finding 85% are "confident in the ability of their local public health officials" comes from a May 2003 survey in Canada concerning the SARS outbreak.  What does that have to do with "how Americans feel about COVID-19"?  Fake news on two counts.

93)  Ipsos has been polling weekly for the past month, "When leaving your home, are you maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet from other people?".  The answer is multiple choice.  Not once have more than 2% chosen "never".  The other 98%, therefore, are trying to maintain distance.

81)  From Politico.com in their words as posted April 15th (emphasis by me): 

"More than eight in 10 voters, 81 percent, say Americans “should continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus, even if it means continued damage to the economy.”"

Note how "curb the spread of coronavirus" was altered to "stop the coronavirus".

I respectfully ask that you stop posting misleading statistics, polls, or other "data" from dubious sources.  That is not what this forum is here for.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Polls are easily manipulated.  Word the question a little differently, or ask it at a slightly different time, and the results can change quite a bit.  

But why stop there?  When a third party changes the wording after the fact, that distorts things even further.  This is a great example.

86)  Imagine my surprise when I went to the source (the real source, ipsos.com, April 24th), and found this was the full description of the 86% finding (underlining by me):

"Almost all Americans (86%) support social distancing policies saying ‘social distancing and stay-at-home orders are responsible government policies that are saving lives’."

This version removed all reference to social distancing, and added the reference to "over-reaction" as their own spin.  Fake news.

85)  Another lie of omission.  Going to the source (npr.org), the poll they took April 21-26 actually asked (emphasis mine) "Do you think it’s a good idea or a bad idea to do each of the following without further testing for the coronavirus?".  Under that insanely moot hypothetical, 85% voted it a bad idea.

91)  Same poll, same wording, same omission of said wording... same fraud.

85)  The Ipsos poll finding 85% are "confident in the ability of their local public health officials" comes from a May 2003 survey in Canada concerning the SARS outbreak.  What does that have to do with "how Americans feel about COVID-19"?  Fake news on two counts.

93)  Ipsos has been polling weekly for the past month, "When leaving your home, are you maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet from other people?".  The answer is multiple choice.  Not once have more than 2% chosen "never".  The other 98%, therefore, are trying to maintain distance.

81)  From Politico.com in their words as posted April 15th (emphasis by me): 

"More than eight in 10 voters, 81 percent, say Americans “should continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus, even if it means continued damage to the economy.”"

Note how "curb the spread of coronavirus" was altered to "stop the coronavirus".

I respectfully ask that you stop posting misleading statistics, polls, or other "data" from dubious sources.  That is not what this forum is here for.

I totally understand your good points BUT I would say your last sentence is hard to do for most because of the misleading information we see and hear on a daily basis. Also I guess Mods will have to decide but I have always felt that it is hard, especially with the world today to walk that fine line of DCP because WE as an activity and human beings are effected by all the noise, information, MIS- information, accomplishments, failures, sadness and loss and does directly influence ( as we can see ) our activity.

Now as far as encouragement. I do believe our activity will survive all of this. Will we see it as we did in the past? Who knows, will it be a total different activity? In many aspects , it certainly could be. Will it be better than ever ? I guess that all depends on who is answering that question.

As Americans and I might add Drum Corps people, we have a unique way of adapting, changing, surviving and doing what's needed to move forward, just look after 9/11.

Sad, gone are the days of simple times as many of us remember BUT that doesn't mean all is gone.

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Source?

Also, if you're going to pick apart the questions, why not the ones about apple pie, kittens,Tom Hanks, free elections, Betty White, Kim Jong-un, and Japanese hornets?

kim-jong-un-kitty-riding_o_1618845.jpg

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

You touch on several good points.

First, now that the worst has passed in some of the hardest hit areas, hospitals there indeed are starting to open back up for other serious but less urgent needs. Although in other areas, particularly places where hospitals are fewer and/or smaller, and especially those near the new epicenters like meat processing facilities, there are still concerns about being overwhelmed. I'm all for each area making decisions based on the facts on the ground. I see that in New York, they've broken the state into multiple regions, and, following the CDC phased guidelines, are determining how many criteria have been met in each region. Three of them have the green light to move to the first phase of reopening; several others are just one or two benchmarks from being able to do so. (I hope there's not much travel between areas doing well and areas doing poorly, though.) That's great news.

Second, and unfortunately, it seems that one reason hospitals weren't quite overwhelmed (although it was a very near thing in some places) is that a significant number of Covid-19 victims died at home--or in nursing homes. Although another reason is that the curve was bent via our various shutdown policies. (As a reminder: most of our shutdowns were much less severe than what was imposed in, say, Italy. What that country is opening up to now is where we've mostly been for the past two months.)

Third, on a related front, lots of people, like your friend (I hope he gets the care he needs!), were just scared to go to hospitals, because everyone knows that diseases are often spread there. So even if the hospitals had been open for so-called elective procedures, a number of people would have put those off until after the worst period of the crisis passed.

(And I totally agree with you that it seems insane to have medical staff laid off during a pandemic.)

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

The largest hospital system in MI has been open for elective surgeries since the end of April. So that’s good.

Well on the spiritual side of things. Church our family went to closed 2 years back and sis (has hard to find book business) helped the closing by clearing out the small library. While doing that she was asked to take the left over hymnals with her too. Then found out the few dozen hymnals that was expected was actually around 200. Someone forgot to check the pew racks.  😫

Anyway hymnals didn’t sell too quick until coronavirus and stay at home kicked in. Now selling a few a week which beats few a year. All we can figure is people are attending church on line and want a hymnal to follow along. 

And while getting a mail out ready she found a hymnal that some relatives paid for with a donation. They’re no longer with us but contacted their daughter and sending it there.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2