Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You touch on several good points.

You would have no way of knowing this, but your first sentence right there made me burst out laughing. This is because I know I have a short attention span. So touching on things is about as good as you’ll get from me haha. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So touching on things is about as good as you’ll get from me haha. 

As long as you have the things' consent. Don't want any lawsuits.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

And 99% do not trust polls.  

Polls are easily manipulated.  Word the question a little differently, or ask it at a slightly different time, and the results can change quite a bit.  

But why stop there?  When a third party changes the wording after the fact, that distorts things even further.  This is a great example.

86)  Imagine my surprise when I went to the source (the real source, ipsos.com, April 24th), and found this was the full description of the 86% finding (underlining by me):

"Almost all Americans (86%) support social distancing policies saying ‘social distancing and stay-at-home orders are responsible government policies that are saving lives’."

This version removed all reference to social distancing, and added the reference to "over-reaction" as their own spin.  Fake news.

85)  Another lie of omission.  Going to the source (npr.org), the poll they took April 21-26 actually asked (emphasis mine) "Do you think it’s a good idea or a bad idea to do each of the following without further testing for the coronavirus?".  Under that insanely moot hypothetical, 85% voted it a bad idea.

91)  Same poll, same wording, same omission of said wording... same fraud.

85)  The Ipsos poll finding 85% are "confident in the ability of their local public health officials" comes from a May 2003 survey in Canada concerning the SARS outbreak.  What does that have to do with "how Americans feel about COVID-19"?  Fake news on two counts.

93)  Ipsos has been polling weekly for the past month, "When leaving your home, are you maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet from other people?".  The answer is multiple choice.  Not once have more than 2% chosen "never".  The other 98%, therefore, are trying to maintain distance.

81)  From Politico.com in their words as posted April 15th (emphasis by me): 

"More than eight in 10 voters, 81 percent, say Americans “should continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus, even if it means continued damage to the economy.”"

Note how "curb the spread of coronavirus" was altered to "stop the coronavirus".

I respectfully ask that you stop posting misleading statistics, polls, or other "data" from dubious sources.  That is not what this forum is here for.

It was a political post in a place where I was lead to believe politics are disallowed. Only for certain opinions I suppose. 

What is most depressing is that this site DCP along with DCI - many or most corps ,,,, will not be allowed to march this year and next if you take what some states are keeping in place.  Some here will keep on cheering  for a complete shut down, or even a limited shut down. All the while the activity will die with this overreaction. 

probably in that poll there is one that supports no school next fall,  that will do drum corps and marching bands 0 favors. The traffic on this site is basically fans of the marching arts, the activity is in danger and We see folks post polls. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

In my opinion, the time has come. There is only a faint at encouragement in this thread. Please mods, shut it down.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

In my opinion, the time has come. There is only a faint at encouragement in this thread. Please mods, shut it down.

Really? I post once and this is your reaction? 

Kittens post did not cause you to come to a conclusion on the time has come? 

7 minutes ago, E3D said:

Really? I post once and this is your reaction? 

Kittens post did not cause you to come to a conclusion on the time has come? 

Really.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Really.

DCI is in a bad place and I'm not sure where to find encouragement, especially when it does appear that some are happy to watch this prolonged damage continued. That hurts DCP - DCI and all marching bands / corps. It is tough to see any good news from what is happening when you read that major places will stay shut in until August, and that schools in most of these large states will not reopen in the fall. That is tough news to take if you are MBA / DCI. 

I did noticed it rained this evening so my tomatoes are happy. 

Edited by E3D

No one is happy about our shared situation. But I  do not think we are witnessing an overreaction to our predicament. I am more concerned that people aren’t taking this pandemic seriously enough. Please feel free to disagree. 
But this thread is supposed to be about encouragement, and every few days it digresses to political talking points. I, for one, am tired of this cycle. I again urge the mods to close it down. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well on the spiritual side of things. Church our family went to closed 2 years back and sis (has hard to find book business) helped the closing by clearing out the small library. While doing that she was asked to take the left over hymnals with her too. Then found out the few dozen hymnals that was expected was actually around 200. Someone forgot to check the pew racks.  😫

Anyway hymnals didn’t sell too quick until coronavirus and stay at home kicked in. Now selling a few a week which beats few a year. All we can figure is people are attending church on line and want a hymnal to follow along. 

And while getting a mail out ready she found a hymnal that some relatives paid for with a donation. They’re no longer with us but contacted their daughter and sending it there.

and hymnals periodically get updated too

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

No one is happy about our shared situation. But I  do not think we are witnessing an overreaction to our predicament. I am more concerned that people aren’t taking this pandemic seriously enough. Please feel free to disagree. 
But this thread is supposed to be about encouragement, and every few days it digresses to political talking points. I, for one, am tired of this cycle. I again urge the mods to close it down. 

honestly...with all of the craziness and politicizing of this very deadly strain...i've found if i don't find something to laugh at, i'm going to be the angriest non protesting my liberties were taken away from me...and not because my liberties were taken away.

because honestly from regular people to government officials on all sides, there's way too much ####### stupidity out there. and i say that in full bipartisan fashion

• Like 1