Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

No one is happy about our shared situation. But I  do not think we are witnessing an overreaction to our predicament. I am more concerned that people aren’t taking this pandemic seriously enough. Please feel free to disagree. 
But this thread is supposed to be about encouragement, and every few days it digresses to political talking points. I, for one, am tired of this cycle. I again urge the mods to close it down. 

I don't see where I made any political talking points. I did point out a post in my opinion was political. Someone else tended to point out some of it. 

It is still raining here tonight and that is a good thing, for all the plants. 

Taking a pandemic seriously should not be political and point out that DCI is in trouble because of it and the actual reaction / actions is not political either. It is an opinion based on what I see as the facts. If no school in the fall dci the following spring and summer? Not going to happen in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, E3D said:

DCI is in a bad place and I'm not sure where to find encouragement, especially when it does appear that some are happy to watch this prolonged damage continued. That hurts DCP - DCI and all marching bands / corps. It is tough to see any good news from what is happening when you read that major places will stay shut in until August, and that schools in most of these large states will not reopen in the fall. That is tough news to take if you are MBA / DCI.

I did noticed it rained this evening so my tomatoes are happy. 

Nobody's happy about this. Nobody. But just as in other times of crisis, a lot of people recognize the importance of pulling together and doing our parts to get through this. There is a little quibbling about the best way to achieve it. That's all.

Well, also some people have others dear to them who have died or are very ill (and with this disease, you can't visit your relatives in the hospital). They're hurting and they deserve sympathy.

And kittens.

source.gif

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Encouraging news: today Admiral Brett Giroir, the Assistant Secretary for Health, said that by September, the U.S. ought to be able to test 50 million people per month.

We've recently reached the point where we're testing about 300,000 per day, so this would be more than five times better than our best numbers so far, and while I wish we could do it sooner, it still would be a huge step to making it possible for the country to safely open up.

• Like 1

Encouraging news for those who don't like singing in drum corps:

The CDC did a study on that choir in Washington where one person infected 52 others and they provisionally conclude that it wasn't just the close quarters but the sheer act of singing that spread the disease so widely among the group.

What was the line from Cadets' 2007 show? "Let's run it with no voice?" And the audience cheered?

Ah, the wisdom of crowds.

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, also some people have others dear to them who have died or are very ill (and with this disease, you can't visit your relatives in the hospital). They're hurting and they deserve sympathy.

Or if they pass away you can’t pay your respects or offer sympathy to the family in person. Over last few weeks had some people I knew from work pass away (no reason given) and nothing open to public.

Not having DC is tough but having groups of people from different areas in tight quarter is last thing needed. 

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

In my opinion, the time has come. There is only a faint at encouragement in this thread. Please mods, shut it down.

Instead of shutting this thread down, how about one of you who just can’t stop themselves from injecting your political views start a different thread and have at it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I'm so impressed with any kitten that can haul Kim Jong-un with his BMI.  :whistle: :giljotiini:   

Light people can also have a high BMI. 😉  Do you know how tall Jong-un is?  After all, BMI is only a ratio not another way of saying heavy. 😷

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Light people can also have a high BMI. 😉  Do you know how tall Jong-un is?  After all, BMI is only a ratio not another way of saying heavy. 😷

Why, yes, yes I do.  If reports are correct, he stands at a mere 5'7", plus a weight of 300 lbs, which equals a BMI of 47.  (Some reports range from 44-48.)  I'm a pretty big guy as well so I totally understand the BMI index.  I even know of a local college that used it for their auxiliary units, i.e. majorettes, and were the recipient of a lawsuit.  The litigation resulted in a change in their selection method.  Our health insurance company loves the BMI model but their nurses that apply their health screening process are not big fans.  I told them last year that I'd cut back on food items & increase my liquid intake.   :guinesssmilie:  (They don't seem to be fond of cigars as well.)