Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

22 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Why, yes, yes I do.  If reports are correct, he stands at a mere 5'7", plus a weight of 300 lbs, which equals a BMI of 47.  (Some reports range from 44-48.)  I'm a pretty big guy as well so I totally understand the BMI index.  I even know of a local college that used it for their auxiliary units, i.e. majorettes, and were the recipient of a lawsuit.  The litigation resulted in a change in their selection method.  Our health insurance company loves the BMI model but their nurses that apply their health screening process are not big fans.  I told them last year that I'd cut back on food items & increase my liquid intake.   :guinesssmilie:  (They don't seem to be fond of cigars as well.)       

I’m encouraged that my BMI is well below Kim Jong Un’s. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

No one is happy about our shared situation. But I  do not think we are witnessing an overreaction to our predicament. I am more concerned that people aren’t taking this pandemic seriously enough. Please feel free to disagree. 

No disagreement here.  Your concern is valid.  However, I can offer some encouragement.

First, speaking for myself... from the beginning, I have always said that this virus situation is serious.  I have also said not to panic.  Both under- and over-reaction need to be avoided.

When you look past media (social or traditional) and observe real-life response, it is encouraging to see that panic has been avoided (or at least, limited to the toilet paper aisles).  This is good!

Regarding "serious" - again, I think there is much to be encouraged about when you look past what media (social or traditional) harps on, and make unfiltered observations of how people are behaving.  I have to admit, though, that I am not quite as encouraged as I was a month ago.  I see "seriousness" as a two-faceted issue.  Public behavior is the key, of course - but the public take their cues from the policymakers (be they politicians, health experts, store owners, etc.).  The guidance needs to make sense.  Policies need to be based on science and conditions on the ground, not other agendas.  The actions of policymakers need to match their words.  If policymakers are not serious with their policies, their messages lose credibility among the people.  IMO, there has been enough of that to cause people to push back against policies where the punishment does not fit the crime, so to speak.  Occasionally, this pushback manifests in ways that are unwise and concerning.  I used to say we were 99+% voluntarily executing policy guidance, but in light of all that has transpired, I have to revise that down to 98+%.

Still, it is encouraging to see us headed toward a better informed, and sustainable, set of precautions for life going forward.  

But this thread is supposed to be about encouragement, and every few days it digresses to political talking points. I, for one, am tired of this cycle. 

Me too.  But... 

I again urge the mods to close it down. 

... that is not the answer.

This thread is for both people who need encouragement, and people who can provide encouragement.  Some of us fall into both categories over time (myself included).  We are still at our peak need for encouragement, IMO.  Therefore, we need to maintain social encouragement measures while we flatten THAT curve.

Shutting down thread after thread punishes everyone for the actions of a few.  That is not the appropriate response.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Why, yes, yes I do.  If reports are correct, he stands at a mere 5'7", plus a weight of 300 lbs, which equals a BMI of 47.  (Some reports range from 44-48.)  I'm a pretty big guy as well so I totally understand the BMI index.  I even know of a local college that used it for their auxiliary units, i.e. majorettes, and were the recipient of a lawsuit.  The litigation resulted in a change in their selection method.  Our health insurance company loves the BMI model but their nurses that apply their health screening process are not big fans.  I told them last year that I'd cut back on food items & increase my liquid intake.   :guinesssmilie:  (They don't seem to be fond of cigars as well.)       

How do you know that it's not a giant North Korean Killer-Murder-Robber-Procrastination kitty?   Do you even have proof that such a creature does not exist?

I want to see stats so that I can argue about them until every single person on this thread rolls their eyes and falls into a statistical coma. 

Edited by Continental
  • Haha 1

To go with cixelsyd, as Fran H would say if it bleeds it leads. IOW people walking around armed and no masks gets air play and everyone in a supermarket masked and not freaking out is not shown. Even if I Hope the calm supermarket is a LOT more common than people airing grievances over than stay at home

16 minutes ago, Continental said:

How do you know that it's not a giant North Korean Killer-Murder-Robber-Procrastination kitty?   Do you even have proof that such a creature does not exist?

I want to see stats so that I can argue about them until every single person on this thread rolls their eyes and falls into a statistical coma. 

"Statistical":  Say that 3x at 140 bpm.  The "sta" would be an upbeat in 2/4 time.  I love listening to folks in the news pronouncing "masks".  (The plural version.)  I think they're pronouncing it wrong.  The difference is probably a (D) vs (R) debate.  I'll opt for the (i) version.  (That's independent with a small "i".)  😇      

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

Just me or anyone else really notice people not wearing masks correctly? Mostly not over nose like wearer hasn’t noticed. But... stopped for fast food lunch while out and all 3 workers not into masks. One hanging off of face, one didn’t have one and last one around the neck... 😤

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Encouraging news: today Admiral Brett Giroir, the Assistant Secretary for Health, said that by September, the U.S. ought to be able to test 50 million people per month.

We've recently reached the point where we're testing about 300,000 per day, so this would be more than five times better than our best numbers so far, and while I wish we could do it sooner, it still would be a huge step to making it possible for the country to safely open up.

Unfortunately 300k/day isn’t nearly enough to shorten the time for a full reopening.  That would take nearly 4 years for the US population to be tested.  The initial guidelines are better at stemming the tide.  If the entire country were all drum corps mm’s or former mm’s we would have unified discipline to maintain 6’ and wear a mask. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just me or anyone else really notice people not wearing masks correctly? Mostly not over nose like wearer hasn’t noticed. But... stopped for fast food lunch while out and all 3 workers not into masks. One hanging off of face, one didn’t have one and last one around the neck... 😤

I’ve noticed some under the nose versions.  But I am noticing fewer mask wearers when I’ve gone to a grocery store and the pharmacy. Employees are getting better At these laces but many people are not.  And many people don’t get the one way aisle concept.  It’s not that hard.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Unfortunately 300k/day isn’t nearly enough to shorten the time for a full reopening.  That would take nearly 4 years for the US population to be tested.  The initial guidelines are better at stemming the tide.  If the entire country were all drum corps mm’s or former mm’s we would have unified discipline to maintain 6’ and wear a mask. 

So even if we do go to 300k a day that’s still less than 1 per 1000. And how many jobs would require daily testing which would take priority (health care, etc).

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I’ve noticed some under the nose versions.  But I am noticing fewer mask wearers when I’ve gone to a grocery store and the pharmacy. Employees are getting better At these laces but many people are not.  And many people don’t get the one way aisle concept.  It’s not that hard.

Notice lot wrong wayers but food story I go to has sticky arrows on the floor that are easy to miss. We have mandated masks in businesses and places I go to only allow in certain number of people. So have employee at the one (and only one) entrance to hit the count app and make sure masks are on. 

Time to send a nasty gram to Wendy’s corporate.... 

Edited by JimF-LowBari