Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

So yesterday, the assisted living facility where my mother lives and my step-father lived had a virtual, GoToMeet.me memorial service for all who have passed away from the virus at the facility. The service was for 11 people, including my step-dad. 
It was a Judeo-Christian service, although the three officiants were all Jewish (two rabbis and a cantor). Still, despite the lack of a Christian minister, there was a nod to the Christian faith with quotes from 1Corinthians 15 and a singing of verse 5 of Amazing Grace, but a good deal of the service was in Hebrew, and the words of comfort were based on Psalm 23 (which is ecumenical enough).
All in all, it was a rather surreal experience, and later in the day, on my patio, I poured one out for my step-dad.   

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

No disagreement here.  Your concern is valid.  However, I can offer some encouragement.

First, speaking for myself... from the beginning, I have always said that this virus situation is serious.  I have also said not to panic.  Both under- and over-reaction need to be avoided.

When you look past media (social or traditional) and observe real-life response, it is encouraging to see that panic has been avoided (or at least, limited to the toilet paper aisles).  This is good!

Regarding "serious" - again, I think there is much to be encouraged about when you look past what media (social or traditional) harps on, and make unfiltered observations of how people are behaving.  I have to admit, though, that I am not quite as encouraged as I was a month ago.  I see "seriousness" as a two-faceted issue.  Public behavior is the key, of course - but the public take their cues from the policymakers (be they politicians, health experts, store owners, etc.).  The guidance needs to make sense.  Policies need to be based on science and conditions on the ground, not other agendas.  The actions of policymakers need to match their words.  If policymakers are not serious with their policies, their messages lose credibility among the people.  IMO, there has been enough of that to cause people to push back against policies where the punishment does not fit the crime, so to speak.  Occasionally, this pushback manifests in ways that are unwise and concerning.  I used to say we were 99+% voluntarily executing policy guidance, but in light of all that has transpired, I have to revise that down to 98+%.

Still, it is encouraging to see us headed toward a better informed, and sustainable, set of precautions for life going forward.  

Me too.  But... 

... that is not the answer.

This thread is for both people who need encouragement, and people who can provide encouragement.  Some of us fall into both categories over time (myself included).  We are still at our peak need for encouragement, IMO.  Therefore, we need to maintain social encouragement measures while we flatten THAT curve.

Shutting down thread after thread punishes everyone for the actions of a few.  That is not the appropriate response.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I haven’t thought about this much (refer to previous post concerning my attention span), but does testing/contact tracing actually work when you’ve reached the point of community spread?  With community spread i.e. coming at everyone from all directions,  it may just be a very large exercise in futility. Not saying all is lost. Not saying that at all. Just that maybe plan B is what we should be doing versus plan A. Plan B being something along the lines of - isolate the vulnerable, keep working hard on treatments and vaccine, slowly open things back up for the under-60 crowd. Just a thought, don’t be mean to me. 😘

17 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I haven’t thought about this much (refer to previous post concerning my attention span), but does testing/contact tracing actually work when you’ve reached the point of community spread?  With community spread i.e. coming at everyone from all directions,  it may just be a very large exercise in futility. Not saying all is lost. Not saying that at all. Just that maybe plan B is what we should be doing versus plan A. Plan B being something along the lines of - isolate the vulnerable, keep working hard on treatments and vaccine, slowly open things back up for the under-60 crowd. Just a thought, don’t be mean to me. 😘

I’m thinking testing for those that would be in contact with people who would be in danger if they caught coronavirus. That includes Meals On Wheels, visiting angels, home nursing, home therapy, in office doctor and therapy, etc, etc. Also members of family who live with and provide care to the person in danger

Wife and her mother had issues and might be surprised how much in home care and services there are. And hope we don’t get too set on age as a determination. Wife caught pneumonia from a bad flu 2 years back and passed at age 56.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 2

Just now, HockeyDad said:

I was not going to say anything, this being the encouragement thread.  But since it is your thread... good point.

And a big part of what you call "plan B" is sustainable precautions.  Less handshaking, more handwashing.  Covering nose and mouth.  Maintaining space between people.  Curbside commerce, etc.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

My wife and I are both in the "vulnerable" (over 60) category.

I have no problem with your plan "B" ,presuming its 100% voluntary.

We both work in "essential" fields,in fact ,my wife is a nurse.

We have both been going to work every day since this pandemic started.

We have no intention of being "isolated","for our own protection".

We wash our hands,she always has,socially distance,where we can,and wear a face covering ,where required.

As soon as things like restaurants start opening back up,we'll be there.

This seems to be the feeling of most of our friends.

I have no problem if any person,regardless of age, wants to isolate themselves till they get the "all clear".

Unfortunately,this may be a long way off,if ever.

Please don't try to tell me  I have to live my life,sitting at  home,watching  Law and Order reruns,

until someone tells me its O.k. to come out.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m thinking testing for those that would be in contact with people who would be in danger if they caught coronavirus. That includes Meals On Wheels, visiting angels, home nursing, home therapy, in office doctor and therapy, etc, etc. Also members of family who live with and provide care to the person in danger

Wife and her mother had issues and might be surprised how much in home care and services there are. And hope we don’t get too set on age as a determination. Wife caught pneumonia from a bad flu 2 years back and passed at age 56.

That’s horrible. Ugh. So sorry to hear that. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

We wash our hands,she always has,socially distance,where we can,and wear a face covering ,where required.

I have no problem if any person,regardless of age, wants to isolate themselves till they get the "all clear".

Please don't try to tell me  I have to live my life,sitting at  home,watching  Law and Order reruns,

Beautifully stated. Thank you. I also don’t agree that somebody needs to “protect you from yourself”.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

I like the way your sentences practiced social distancing.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I like the way your sentences practiced social distancing.  

These are difficult times, but I had to chuckle a bit at that one. :thumbup: