Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here are two interesting side effects of social distancing and stay-at-home orders: (1) In California, deaths from automobile accidents have dropped 84%. (2) Organ donor programs say they are struggling because there are fewer auto fatalities.

At first I wondered how car insurance companies could afford the breaks they are giving, and then I realized they have far fewer claims to pay.

Well small steps around here. Tomorrow more counties in PA are going to yellow status. Includes opening the thrift stores like Goodwill, Goodwill Outlet and local CommunityAid. I’ll admit to checking Goodwill Outlet for books and just walk around. (Goodwill Outlet is stuff that didn’t sell in the regular Goodwill stores and priced by the pound for clothes.) Have seen people buying old clothes in bulk (aka at least one packed shopping cart) and figure it’s for use at shelters. For these people’s sakes I’m glad this will be reopening

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well small steps around here. Tomorrow more counties in PA are going to yellow status. Includes opening the thrift stores like Goodwill, Goodwill Outlet and local CommunityAid. I’ll admit to checking Goodwill Outlet for books and just walk around. (Goodwill Outlet is stuff that didn’t sell in the regular Goodwill stores and priced by the pound for clothes.) Have seen people buying old clothes in bulk (aka at least one packed shopping cart) and figure it’s for use at shelters. For these people’s sakes I’m glad this will be reopening

That's hopeful. This passing comment from an economist talking about a podcast he was on (which I haven't listed to) is a little less so: "I heard yesterday about a local school district considering staying 100% remote all next year because they can’t afford to reopen given huge state budget cuts and extra public health costs." If that sort of decision becomes widespread and really lasts through the 2020-2021, drum corps will surely be affected next summer.

28 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's hopeful. This passing comment from an economist talking about a podcast he was on (which I haven't listed to) is a little less so: "I heard yesterday about a local school district considering staying 100% remote all next year because they can’t afford to reopen given huge state budget cuts and extra public health costs." If that sort of decision becomes widespread and really lasts through the 2020-2021, drum corps will surely be affected next summer.

And the issue of if someone catches coronavirus from a reopened business, school, workplace, etc who is responsible (re$pon$ible). Keep seeing that crop up every few days.

Just reading rules for drive in theater that will reopen tomorrow. Rule that hit me was one at a time in the bathroom. Just thinking how scarce practice and show sites will be with extra rules and people willing to open the sites up to outsiders

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And the issue of if someone catches coronavirus from a reopened business, school, workplace, etc who is responsible (re$pon$ible). Keep seeing that crop up every few days.

Just reading rules for drive in theater that will reopen tomorrow. Rule that hit me was one at a time in the bathroom. Just thinking how scarce practice and show sites will be with extra rules and people willing to open the sites up to outsiders

responsibility - it is very clear due to the press releases and posted notices on property that Disney places the burden on the person, not wdw.  basically saying come at your own risk and follow the policies.  

Overall the opening of Disney Springs went - okay.  cast members there said it was crowded but for the most part people were following the temperature, masking and distancing rules.  they did have one idiot who thought it was a good idea to bring a tabletop grill and roast up some hot dogs for the family right on the busy walkway.  that did not end well for them.

In the performing arts professional association and related legal advisory webinars I've been listening to, there seems to be a growing consensus that lawsuits against venues that have taken reasonable precautions to protect patrons are unlikely to succeed: it's very hard to prove that a given infection was transmitted from any given gathering of people, even if it seems likely that's what happened. That said, a lot of organizations have indicated they'd have significant moral qualms about putting their customers at risk, and it's very hard to maintain six feet of distance between patrons in an auditorium while also having enough attendance to justify the costs of production. Not to mention that some portion of the potential audience will feel very reluctant to attend any event while the disease is still out there.

A survey result that I just heard: 55-70% of people will not feel safe to come back to the performing arts until there is a vaccine. It's just one survey, just one snapshot in time, and there are lots of possible caveats. But suppose it's only 50% who feel unsafe. Can drum corps produce successfully without half the audience?

(Not to mention what needs to be done to ensure the safety of the performers.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

A survey result that I just heard: 55-70% of people will not feel safe to come back to the performing arts until there is a vaccine. It's just one survey, just one snapshot in time, and there are lots of possible caveats. But suppose it's only 50% who feel unsafe. Can drum corps produce successfully without half the audience?

In short, there's no return to normal without a vaccine. But I'm hopeful that there will be a vaccine available for wide distribution sooner than the 18-month timeline that's been discussed since February. While that has generally been described as a very ambitious timeline -- it took more than six years after the start of the big Ebola outbreak in 2013 to have a vaccine for that disease -- there's so much more effort being put into this process, and the early results seem to be promising. (One other likely positive outcome of this process is that we'll learn a lot more about how to make vaccines faster.) If so, there's a very real chance that won't be an obstacle to drum corps in summer 2021.

• Like 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

If so, there's a very real chance that won't be an obstacle to drum corps in summer 2021.

The concern the economist I cited above was hearing was that because of the hit to the economy and the accompanying state/local budget cuts, some schools may find that they just can't afford to open their doors. Even if it's generally felt that it's safe for them to do so.

(Sorry about splitting that over multiple posts. The system wasn't letting me post it all at once.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

More good news from your part of the country:

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/lancaster-county-moves-closer-to-contact-tracing-economic-recovery-plan/article_1970f4d8-9ae0-11ea-9ff6-fba5f049ce95.html

12 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

Overall the opening of Disney Springs went - okay.  cast members there said it was crowded but for the most part people were following the temperature, masking and distancing rules.  they did have one idiot who thought it was a good idea to bring a tabletop grill and roast up some hot dogs for the family right on the busy walkway.  that did not end well for them.

Chuckled at this report yesterday. Note the timing: one minute after the stock market closed.