Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

20 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And Lancaster county will still be in the red after tomorrow. Closer you get to the eastern border (Philly/Allentown) the longer it is going to be. 

As for your earlier posts 2 thoughts: First I’m one of those who will be waiting until really sure it’s safe. Have a standstill ticket for a show that is currently rescheduled for Sept. Might be held then and might be held with my seat early.

As for lawsuits one can lose their shirt winning a lawsuit or not even get to trial, even in a frivolous case. Knew someone who got sucked into a sting operation years back. No idea if or how guilty he was as he pled guilty for probation. It was that or go broke going to multiple court appearances (if one person “stung” appealed they all had to go to court with their lawyer$). Can picture schools or other facilities saying not going to chance it. And of course.... school board members don’t want to do anything that might hurt them at election time. “They let outsiders in. Nothing happened but we were lucky”

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's just one survey, just one snapshot in time, and there are lots of possible caveats. But suppose it's only 50% who feel unsafe. Can drum corps produce successfully without half the audience? 

Reads like a line from a Lee Child Jack Reacher Book.

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Reads like a line from a Lee Child Jack Reacher book.

Jack Reacher's ATM PIN is 8197, a sequence chosen because Reacher is said to have an affinity for arithmetic. Can you explain the logic?

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In short, there's no return to normal without a vaccine. 

There was no vaccine developed during the 1918 influenza pandemic. Life returned to normal. So, I strongly disagree with this statement. It is just as likely a vaccine will never be developed for Covid as it is there will be. Yet life will return to normal either way.  Why?  Because these pandemics eventually burn themselves out.  I personally think that’s what will end this. Not a vaccine. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Thanks 2

I need encouragement because the reality of no drum corps this year is really starting to sink in.  Although I hated parades, we were always in one on Memorial Day.  Ever since, I've associated the day with the start of drum corps season.

Sad. 

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

There was no vaccine developed during the 1918 influenza pandemic. Life returned to normal. So, I strongly disagree with this statement. It is just as likely a vaccine will never be developed for Covid as it is there will be. Yet life will return to normal either way.  Why?  Because these pandemics eventually burn themselves out.  I personally think that’s what will end this. Not a vaccine. 

Sadly I agree. However the 1918 flu lasted in various forms and places around the world until 1920. Much as I detest the term a “new normal” will be in place for quite a while. My guess is masks, social distancing, lot more telework and businesses dealing with less crowded conditions. 

edit: just read an article that might be an example of what s to come for a while. My old college in western PA talking about classes in “teams”. Classroom is sanitized and in a given day 1/3 of the students can be physically in the classroom. The other 2/3 of them use Zoom or some other method to watch and listen. Main campus holds 10k so lot of other things to work out (especially meals) but college President and others looking ahead. College is also known for its IT department (what I majored in) so should be interesting how the online portion is handled

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Medicine has advanced a bit since 1918.

The influenza virus wasn't even discovered until the 1930s.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Medicine has advanced a bit since 1918.

The influenza virus wasn't even discovered until the 1930s.

And lest we forget, this isn’t a flu virus. This is a novel coronavirus. Yes, there are analogies, but like all analogies, it’s imperfect. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And lest we forget, this isn’t a flu virus. This a novel coronavirus. Yes, there are analogies, but like all analogies, it’s imperfect. 

Yep. For the H1N1 flu pandemic in 2009, we were able to develop and begin distributing a vaccine in less than six months--but that's because we already knew how to create a human flu vaccine. I remember it well, because that was the first time I ever got a flu shot (I was in my 30s then). There's never been a human vaccine for a coronavirus before, but that seems to be due in large part to nobody thinking it was worth funding. And I believe there have been coronavirus vaccines for other animals. So while it's a harder project, we do have something to build on. And of course we're worlds beyond where we were in 1918.