Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yep. For the H1N1 flu pandemic in 2009, we were able to develop and begin distributing a vaccine in less than six months--but that's because we already knew how to create a human flu vaccine. I remember it well, because that was the first time I ever got a flu shot (I was in my 30s then). There's never been a human vaccine for a coronavirus before, but that seems to be due in large part to nobody thinking it was worth funding. And I believe there have been coronavirus vaccines for other animals. So while it's a harder project, we do have something to build on. And of course we're worlds beyond where we were in 1918.

I remember the swine flu well. I already had the seasonal flu vaccine in 2009 but I had an additional H1N1 vaccination in January, 2010. I had a good friend who had swine flu, and was in an induced coma for the month of August, 2009, when the flu swept through America. It was considered a miracle when she survived.  She was featured on local and national TV when she came out of her coma. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Medicine has advanced a bit since 1918.

The influenza virus wasn't even discovered until the 1930s.

In so many ways, yes you’re right, medicine has advanced. And we are so lucky for that. We don’t have to worry about an outbreak of polio every summer. Or TB (although...that’s changing).  A heart attack or blockage is not a death sentence.  But in some ways things haven’t advanced much at all. Covid is an example. Unfortunately. I am praying a vaccine will be developed. Just saying it won’t surprise me if it isn’t, and this thing goes away “the old fashioned way” by burning itself out. And the sooner the better on that. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m so many ways, yes you’re right, medicine has advanced. And we are so lucky for that. We don’t have to worry about an outbreak of polio every summer. Or TB (although...that’s changing).  A heart attack or blockage is not a death sentence.  But in some ways things haven’t advanced much at all. Covid is an example. Unfortunately. I am praying a vaccine will be developed. Just saying it won’t surprise me if it isn’t, and this thing goes away “the old fashioned way” by burning itself out. And the sooner the better on that. 

Polio didn't burn itself out. Not all diseases in days of yore just went away on their own.

Today my county and bunch of others (forget number) moved to yellow status. Next Friday 8 more will go to yellow and expected rest of state (eastern edge) will go to yellow Friday after that. Also next Friday, 17 of the boonies counties will go to green. Of course events will be monitored and things could change.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

i've finally decided to use this thread ... as it was intended.

I need encouragement.  13 days ago ... I quit smoking.  First I started using a patch and vaping to get by.  Now I'm just vaping.  I want to wind down to where I'm not putting Nicotine in my body at all.  I Lost my challenge twice so far.  I bought a pack on day 3.  Smoked them all in 24 hours.  I bought another pack on day 8 ... took me 3 days to get rid of them.  I'm craving the real thing really bad ............................................................

Need some encouragement!

17 hours ago, supersop said:

I need encouragement.  13 days ago ... I quit smoking.  First I started using a patch and vaping to get by.  Now I'm just vaping.  I want to wind down to where I'm not putting Nicotine in my body at all.  I Lost my challenge twice so far.  I bought a pack on day 3.  Smoked them all in 24 hours.  I bought another pack on day 8 ... took me 3 days to get rid of them.  I'm craving the real thing really bad ............................................................

Need some encouragement!

Stop vaping. Please! The chemicals in that contraption are probably worse than cigarettes. Have you thought of Chantix? Not an ad here...but it worked for me. Never looked back!

Edited by Sutasaurus

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Polio didn't burn itself out. Not all diseases in days of yore just went away on their own.

The 1918 influenza did, and that’s the pandemic the experts are comparing this too. 

12 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Stop vaping. Please! The chemicals in that contraption are probably worse than cigarettes. Have you thought of Chanticleer? Not an ad here...but it worked for me. Never looked back!

Veggie Oil and sugar.  And Nicotine.  

54 minutes ago, supersop said:

Need some encouragement!

You’ve taken some big steps. You know you want to quit. You know it’s bad for you. Do you have a support system - someone to call when you’re having a craving?  Use your support system. And know that with time, the cravings will lessen. They will. And you can do it. Just one “no” at a time. We’re pulling for you !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, supersop said:

Need some encouragement!

My wife quit three years ago. My close friend is quitting now during the pandemic. Blessings and strength to you. It can be done!

• Like 2