Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

1 hour ago, dans said:

I haven't had the urge to smoke a cigarette for a long time. So for me, the urge to smoke a cigarette went away. Actually, the smell of cigarette smoke is repulsive to me now.  

Sounds like my wife (fiancé at the time) and her parents when they quit at the same time (what a happy household that was 😖). Wife and mother in law would feel ill if near smokers for a while after they quit.

Weird part was they replaced the carpet, drapes and cloth lamp shades and could still smell the smoke (they all smoked in the house before the quit). Finally I realized I could smell it too sitting near the wall. Turned out the wallpaper had felt and the smell was in the felt. Painted over everything and it killed the smell.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

To those of you who have quit smoking - well done!  I have a question for you. Does the desire to smoke also go away with time?  Or is it always kind of there somewhere?  

Sometimes I have to remind myself I was a smoker. Lol

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sounds like my wife (fiancé at the time) and her parents when they quit at the same time (what a happy household that was 😖). Wife and mother in law would feel ill if near smokers for a while after they quit.

Weird part was they replaced the carpet, drapes and cloth lamp shades and could still smell the smoke (they all smoked in the house before the quit). Finally I realized I could smell it too sitting near the wall. Turned out the wallpaper had felt and the smell was in the felt. Painted over everything and it killed the smell.

There’s now scientific evidence of what is called third hand smoke. It gets ingested much like lead. Yikes!

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

There’s now scientific evidence of what is called third hand smoke. It gets ingested much like lead. Yikes!

Forgot about wife’s grandmothers 2nd hand off white drapes she gave us when she moved and we bought the house. Put them thru the washer and half expected a mess of string when done. Went to pull them out and my wife could hear me yell. “Did the drapes fall apart?” “No they came out ####### white. That off white was nicotine!”

Never smoked cigs but hope my horror stories help with people not starting or starting up again. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

I remember my grandpa had a free standing ashtray that stood on the floor. He smoked Winstons. Died of pulmonary heart disease, surprise. He had a full head of white hair. Except it wasn’t white. It had that tan discoloration from the nicotine. My dad smoked Pall Malls. Then he quit and took up Tiparillos. Claims he never inhaled. Sure. It’s hard to remember just how prevalent and socially acceptable smoking was. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 6:16 PM, supersop said:

i've finally decided to use this thread ... as it was intended.

I need encouragement.  13 days ago ... I quit smoking.  First I started using a patch and vaping to get by.  Now I'm just vaping.  I want to wind down to where I'm not putting Nicotine in my body at all.  I Lost my challenge twice so far.  I bought a pack on day 3.  Smoked them all in 24 hours.  I bought another pack on day 8 ... took me 3 days to get rid of them.  I'm craving the real thing really bad ............................................................

Need some encouragement!

My mom was a pack and a half smoker when I was a young kid growing up in the 50's into the early 60's. My sister was born in 62; my mom read a story back then about second hand smoke and how it impacted those in the house. She stopped cold turkey and never had another the rest of her life. You can do this!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

To those of you who have quit smoking - well done!  I have a question for you. Does the desire to smoke also go away with time?  Or is it always kind of there somewhere?  

The desire is gone.  I can smell the lingering odor in places someone has smoked and it stinks.  A smoker near me is not to repulsive but I will move away from it pretty quick.

“Once more unto the breach.”

I start my new job tomorrow. I won’t lie, I feel a little nervous— haven’t touched a handpiece since early March, new city, new job and under a double layer of PPE (including an N95, which I’ve never done before). Should be interesting. The state also recommends taking a change of clothes to put our scrubs into at the end of the day. Plus 2x/day temperature checks. Now if we only had the house situation figured out, LOL. One thing at a time...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, year1buick said:

“Once more unto the breach.”

I start my new job tomorrow. I won’t lie, I feel a little nervous— haven’t touched a handpiece since early March, new city, new job and under a double layer of PPE (including an N95, which I’ve never done before). Should be interesting. The state also recommends taking a change of clothes to put our scrubs into at the end of the day. Plus 2x/day temperature checks. Now if we only had the house situation figured out, LOL. One thing at a time...

Go get 'em tiger.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, garfield said:

I did it your way.  May 5, 2014, after 2 years of vaping with a controllable vape pen.  I dialed down the "hit" and bought one-degree less nicotine in the liquid each time I went.  One day it dawned on me that I was just sucking down vapor with no nicotine and I just put the vape pen down.  Never touched another cig.

I can't express to you how much differently BETTER your life will be once you quit.  In all regards but, personally, walking past the smokers outside offices and social settings is the most gratifying because I WAS them.  I LIVED that life.  I slayed that beast and cut the addiction.

You can, too.  It's just that simple:  YOU CAN, TOO.  Keep going.  Don't give up.  Keep trying.  Never stop trying.

And never admonish yourself for cracking.  Simply, one foot in front of the other; START AGAIN.

You can do this.  You know you can.

Says the man with a pipe in his mouth! 🙄