Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Take your time with the PPE and you’ll find you get the hang of it quickly. Annoying yes, but you adjust to it. Just have to slow yourself down and take the time to do it right. 

Most of it I’m fairly used to, because we had to wear the full gown and head covering in the dental school. It’s the N95 mask and face shield that are the problem. Specifically, getting both to work with my loupes and light. At the moment, I can’t get either to work. Even just wearing the N95 causes my loupes to be totally off kilter. So, for the moment, I’m using a KN95 with a Level 3 over it. That way, I can at least use my loupes. But it’s still an adjustment, for sure. 

Naturally, the new place didn’t have any kind of orientation or shadowing today (to get a better feel how things work.) I walked in the door and they had a full schedule, right off the bat. Trial by fire, LOL.

Today, my wife and I got tested for the virus and the antibodies.  It will take a few days to get the results for the virus, but we got  the antibody test results in about ten minutes

I tested negative for both antibodies but my wife tested positive for IgM antibodies but not IgG antibodies. This means that she probably has been exposed to the virus within the past ten days and is in the asymptomatic stages of the disease.

Your body kicks off IgM antibodies when you are first infected with a coronavirus ... it’s the shotgun antibody. Later in the infection, the body kicks out the more specific IgG antibodies ... it’s the rifle antibody. If you have only IgG antibodies, and no symptoms, congrats,  you made it through a bout of the disease. If you have both, you are in the midst of COVID, and if like my wife, you are only positive for IgM antibodies, you may be looking at the beginning of a horrible road ahead. We won’t know for sure until the COVID test comes back, but she is very scared.  Please remember that Hope has RA, and because of her medication, she has a suppressed immune system.  

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Today, my wife and I got tested for the virus and the antibodies.  It will take a few days to get the results for the virus, but we got  the antibody test results in about ten minutes

I tested negative for both antibodies but my wife tested positive for IgM antibodies but not IgG antibodies. This means that she probably has been exposed to the virus within the past ten days and is in the asymptomatic stages of the disease. We won’t know for sure until the COVID test comes back, but she very scared. 

Be well...Both of you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I tested negative for both antibodies but my wife tested positive for IgM antibodies but not IgG antibodies. This means that she probably has been exposed to the virus within the past ten days and is in the asymptomatic stages of the disease.

Your body kicks off IgM antibodies when you are first infected with a coronavirus ... it’s the shotgun antibody. Later in the infection, the body kicks out the more specific IgG antibodies ... it’s the rifle antibody. If you have only IgG antibodies, and no symptoms, congrats,  you made it through a bout of the disease. If you have both, you are in the midst of COVID, and if like my wife, you are only positive for IgM antibodies, you may be looking at the beginning of a horrible road ahead. We won’t know for sure until the COVID test comes back, but she is very scared.  Please remember that Hope has RA, and because of her medication, she has a suppressed immune system.  

hoping for good things

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just sent an email to state health department. Been doing good job with getting info out but sometimes info trips when coming from different sources. Today new numbers for the nursing homes which validates which ones we thought are the crap holes. (Except for one which is doing good in spite of its lousy reputation.) 

Problem is for the zip code (pop 9500) 131 cases are reported. For the nursing homes within the zip code 132 patients and 41 staff reported. So how does a subset of the zip code (homes) report more than the entire zip code? When it works out to 1 out of 70 or so people in the zippie have contacted coronavirus it would be nice to know how bad is it outside of the homes.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 5/26/2020 at 5:07 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

. If you have both, you are in the midst of COVID, and if like my wife, you are only positive for IgM antibodies, you may be looking at the beginning of a horrible road ahead. We won’t know for sure until the COVID test comes back, but she is very scared.  Please remember that Hope has RA, and because of her medication, she has a suppressed immune system.  

Hopes and prayers my friend. Been on that road with family members with suppressed immune system. Scary enough without hitting something like this

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hopes and prayers my friend. Been on that road with family members with suppressed immune system. Scary enough without hitting something like this

We should be getting results back from the swab test in the next couple of days. We are hoping that the antibody test was a false positive for Hope. Everyone else whom we has been in contact have been negative.

• Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

We should be getting results back from the swab test in the next couple of days. We are hoping that the antibody test was a false positive for Hope. Everyone else whom we have been in contact have been negative.

Hoping for the best for you and your wife. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

We should be getting results back from the swab test in the next couple of days. We are hoping that the antibody test was a false positive for Hope. Everyone else whom we has been in contact have been negative.

There is fresh news from the CDC, warning about the inaccuracy of antibody testing.  False positives are a specific possibility.  This would not ordinarily be encouraging news, but now it is.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

There is fresh news from the CDC, warning about the inaccuracy of antibody testing.  False positives are a specific possibility.  This would not ordinarily be encouraging news, but now it is.

And you are right, it was encouraging news (for us) yesterday when the news was breaking. In any case, we got our swab test results back. We are both negative for the virus! Hope’s antibody test was a false positive, though the testing site put a weird spin on it saying she was negative for the virus but had some protection in case she got it. Regardless, there is much merriment in the house right now!

😀

• Like 6