Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Yep.  Meant to say “continental” U.S.

I should have said “contiguous”. That excludes Alaska and Hawaii, whereas “continental” does not exclude Alaska.

Edited by skevinp

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Looks promising. I’ve “prescribed” this drug to patients who I’ve done some surgical extractions on, interesting to see how drugs can have so many different uses 

I've administered Decadron for several emergency conditions - its application here is intriguing and actually makes some therapeutic sense.  cautiously hopeful.

21 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I wonder if heat plays a role.  Currently 100 in Phoenix, 95 in Dallas.  

Going back to at least early March, some people have suggested that air conditioning may play a role, I think mainly in the sense that pushing sick people's germ-ridden breath around an enclosed space puts others at risk. See the study on the call center in South Korea or the restaurant in China where they diagrammed where everyone was sitting relative to the person believed to be the first infected.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I wonder if heat plays a role.  Currently 100 in Phoenix, 95 in Dallas.  

Hmmmmm wasn't it just a while ago someone said heat kills it and by summer would also be gone.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Hmmmmm wasn't it just a while ago someone said heat kills it and by summer would also be gone.

Well, the virus has nearly gone from a number of places, and summer is nearly upon us, so maybe that prediction has at least partly proved true.

For instance, in three out of the four Scandinavian nations, as shown in this chart of deaths per capita (strictly speaking, per million), the virus seems at least to no longer be spreading rapidly, and even in the fourth, there's a suggestion that a plateau is approaching:

Ear2pE8WsAEzFBx?format=png&name=900x900

(Yes, I know Finland is only sometimes considered to be part of Scandinavia.)

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

Hmmmmm wasn't it just a while ago someone said heat kills it and that's why in the beginning it was lower in those states?

You’d have to ask “someone” I guess, but mostly what I heard, that seemed potentially plausible, was that it might do better in temperatures that are warmer than cold temperature, as they may currently be in much of the country.  Hot as hell may be a different story.

The further you get from ideal temperatures in any direction, the harder it is on the human body, and  the more likely people are to stay inside, and the more likely they are to circulate air as part of a heating or cooling system.  

It will be interesting when temperatures here soar past 115 degrees.  Breathing can become difficult upon even limited activity. That seems unlikely to help the situation.

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

You’d have to ask “someone” I guess, but mostly what I heard, that seemed potentially plausible, was that it might do better in temperatures that are warmer than cold temperature, as they may currently be in much of the country.  Hot as hell may be a different story.

The further you get from ideal temperatures in any direction, the harder it is on the human body, and  the more likely people are to stay inside, and the more likely they are to circulate air as part of a heating or cooling system.  

It will be interesting when temperatures here soar past 115 degrees.  Breathing can become difficult upon even limited activity. That seems unlikely to help the situation.

The temps in Fl. today are as they were a few months ago BUT instead of asking " Someone " (for sure not a reliable source ) I'll continue to listen to the science, Although that changes somewhat too.  

I do remember some brave heath officials warning of this and of HOW openings take place. Precautions for many  have clearly gone out the window and unfortunately those 16 friends in Florida found that out and NOW realize it. Wishing them only the best . Noone deserves this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Hopefully none of these people find themselves in a position where they need that drug:

A Florida Woman and 15 of Her Friends Have the Coronavirus After One Night Out.

"'The bar Crisp and her friends went to, Lynch’s Irish Pub, closed voluntarily last Friday for cleaning after learning one customer had tested positive. They also tested their employees, and seven workers tested positive as well.

'It literally spread like wildfire,' the bar’s general manager Keith Doherty, who is also a member of the Jacksonville Beach city council, told News4Jax. The bar reopened Tuesday morning, and Doherty said they plan to check customer and staff temperatures at the door. Other bars in the area closed Sunday after customers tested positive."

Maybe Suck and Blow was a bad idea.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, the virus has nearly gone from a number of places, and summer is nearly upon us, so maybe that prediction has at least partly proved true.

For instance, in three out of the four Scandinavian nations, as shown in this chart of deaths per capita (strictly speaking, per million), the virus seems at least to no longer be spreading rapidly, and even in the fourth, there's a suggestion that a plateau is approaching:

Ear2pE8WsAEzFBx?format=png&name=900x900

(Yes, I know Finland is only sometimes considered to be part of Scandinavia.)

Florida way up along with others..deaths down though ( so far ) , which is good