Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

41 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Hmmmmm wasn't it just a while ago someone said heat kills it and by summer would also be gone.

About the same time Guam was picking up its first civilian cases (not related to Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier) from people returning from the Philippines. May have been March but still hot and humid both places year around 

• Like 1

Just now, skevinp said:

Maybe Suck and Blow was a bad idea.

As a teetotaler, I'd never even heard of that drinking game. First thing that came to me when I saw your post was the Mel Brooks movie Spaceballs.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Florida way up along with others..deaths down though ( so far ) , which is good

Also encouraging that they are still nowhere near as bad as NY got, despite being a more populous state with a million more senior citizens.  Hopefully it will subside before it gets anywhere near that bad, or if it does it won’t last nearly as long.  

Generally, it seems most states have a surge when the virus first sets in there.  Some more abrupt and others more gradual, but always a climb on the front end.  So states that were prior to that surge before the shutdowns are now going to see it as they open up.  

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

Also encouraging that they are still nowhere near as bad as NY got, despite being a more populous state with a million more senior citizens.  Hopefully it will subside before it gets anywhere near that bad, or if it does it won’t last nearly as long.  

Generally, it seems most states have a surge when the virus first sets in there.  Some more abrupt and others more gradual, but always a climb on the front end.  So states that were prior to that surge before the shutdowns are now going to see it as they open up.  

Agree , . As we think it's predictable, then it isn't. All the more reason to be on the side of safety 

• Like 1

My doctor administered the COVID-19 antibody test to me and my wife.  We both came back negative.  Yes, it can kill me.  Yes, it's still a very real threat but I am OVER IT.  I wear a surgical mask at all times in public and will continue to wash my hands a million times a day.  

Time to live life again. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

My doctor administered the COVID-19 antibody test to me and my wife.  We both came back negative.  Yes, it can kill me.  Yes, it's still a very real threat but I am OVER IT.  I wear a surgical mask at all times in public and will continue to wash my hands a million times a day.  

Time to live life again. 

I wear the bandana when out in public. Also carry antiseptic wipes to clean my hands after being at the supermarket or any place I might touch surfaces that might have CV on them. And try to keep that social distancing regardless of masks. Other than doing the olde “is this trip necessary” before I go out think I’m doing as normal as one can under the circumstances. Planned day trips will just have to wait 

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Hmmmmm wasn't it just a while ago someone said heat kills it and by summer would also be gone.

bleach too

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

About the same time Guam was picking up its first civilian cases [...]

Apart from not including Guam, Puerto Rico, or other territories, this chart gives a pretty good overview of trends in the U.S. since March -- plus a sense of just how bad things were in the Northeast, and why people in that part of the country should feel pretty encouraged about recent trends. Note that it is adjusted for population: 

Eauq9YxWsAEY7N-?format=jpg&name=small

How bad was it? More than one in ten nursing home residents in New Jersey died of coronavirus -- although part of the problem there, as in New York and Michigan (at least one in twenty nursing home residents died in those states) were what are now recognized as some really bad decisions to let residents who had tested positive for Covid-19 in the hospital return to the facilities where they lived. (There was a seemingly logical reason behind those decisions, though: the states were on the verge of hospitals being overwhelmed, and discharged these patients to free up bed space.) In Florida, that was not allowed, which may explain why fewer people died there.

And how are things going elsewhere? Well: Arizona Sheriff Who Refused to Enforce Lockdown Now Has Covid-19.

FYI, the regional divisions that graph is based on are those the U.S. Census uses, which, for those who don't know, is shown here:

censusmap600.gif 

And that explains why the South has almost twice as many people as any other region: it not only includes more states, but two of them are Texas and Florida.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Hopefully none of these people find themselves in a position where they need that drug:

A Florida Woman and 15 of Her Friends Have the Coronavirus After One Night Out.

"'The bar Crisp and her friends went to, Lynch’s Irish Pub, closed voluntarily last Friday for cleaning after learning one customer had tested positive. They also tested their employees, and seven workers tested positive as well.

'It literally spread like wildfire,' the bar’s general manager Keith Doherty, who is also a member of the Jacksonville Beach city council, told News4Jax. The bar reopened Tuesday morning, and Doherty said they plan to check customer and staff temperatures at the door. Other bars in the area closed Sunday after customers tested positive."

I hope someone is looking into these incidents where it spread so broadly and quickly (there have been others as well, like that choir) as they seem like opportunities to learn from. Clearly it doesn’t happen this way all the time, so what was different about these cases?  

Were they a foot apart instead of two?  Were they sharing glassware or utensils?  Were they eating or drinking something prepared by a same infected individual?  

Is there a time (perhaps brief) where someone is way more contagious than other times?  Does alcohol lower resistance?  Does staying isolated for a long time make you more susceptible when you do come out?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I wear the bandana when out in public. Also carry antiseptic wipes to clean my hands after being at the supermarket or any place I might touch surfaces that might have CV on them. And try to keep that social distancing regardless of masks. Other than doing the olde “is this trip necessary” before I go out think I’m doing as normal as one can under the circumstances. Planned day trips will just have to wait 

I haven't touched a shopping cart in three months.  A friend gave me a "Door Buddy" to use on card terminals, doors, etc.  While wearing my mask, I only purchase whatever I can haul in my hands & arms.  On the plus side, our grocery & household supply budget has gone way down. 😷 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1