Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

43 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I haven't touched a shopping cart in three months.  A friend gave me a "Door Buddy" to use on card terminals, doors, etc.  While wearing my mask, I only purchase whatever I can haul in my hands & arms.  On the plus side, our grocery & household supply budget has gone way down. 😷 

I'm kind of the opposite.

I go to work every day.

I don't wear a mask in public.

I do wear one where required.

Haven't worn gloves,except where a store owner requests you do.

Have been using shopping carts,door handles,even public rest rooms.

The one change I have made is washing my hands more often.

Haven't had any issues.

Same with my wife,who is a nurse.

Obviously ,at work she does full PPE when dealing with covid patients.

I'm 66,with no underlying health issues.

My dad is 93 with Parkinson's.

Been seeing him at least a couple of times a week,non-stop,

with no mask (his call).

He's doing O.K. 

(knock on wood)

Maybe we just have good genes.

Or maybe covid isn't quite as contagious as they first thought.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I go to work every day.

Haven't had any issues.

with no mask (his call).

He's doing O.K. 

(knock on wood)

Common sense...so refreshing.

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I haven't touched a shopping cart in three months.  A friend gave me a "Door Buddy" to use on card terminals, doors, etc.  While wearing my mask, I only purchase whatever I can haul in my hands & arms.  On the plus side, our grocery & household supply budget has gone way down. 😷 

Local supermarket claims to wipe down the carts but has wipes as you come in. So either grab one of those or what I carry in a baggy to clean cart myself. Use my own tote bags and self check out. When all done clean hands good with another wipe.

eh do what you can.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

I go to work every day.

Haven't had any issues.

with no mask (his call).

He's doing O.K. 

(knock on wood)

On the other side my wife had health issues and was killed by the flu. It’s a crap shoot either way but I take precautions for anyone else with issues like my wife had. Dan calls your way common sense and I call my way caring about others.

Perspective changes depending on how anything like this hits you or your loved ones.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

More than one in ten nursing home residents in New Jersey died of coronavirus -- although part of the problem there, as in New York and Michigan (at least one in twenty nursing home residents died in those states) were what are now recognized as some really bad decisions to let residents who had tested positive for Covid-19 in the hospital return to the facilities where they lived. (There was a seemingly logical reason behind those decisions, though: the states were on the verge of hospitals being overwhelmed, and discharged these patients to free up bed space.) 

You are too kind.  But that is understandable... my feelings on the matter would only serve as a test of the profanity filters.

The decision makers in those states (Pennsylvania too, IIRC), while telling us that vulnerable people should self-isolate, treated nursing homes like chickenpox parties.

In Florida, that was not allowed, which may explain why fewer people died there.

Good call on their part.  I find that encouraging.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

How bad was it? More than one in ten nursing home residents in New Jersey died of coronavirus -- although part of the problem there, as in New York and Michigan (at least one in twenty nursing home residents died in those states) were what are now recognized as some really bad decisions to let residents who had tested positive for Covid-19 in the hospital return to the facilities where they lived. (There was a seemingly logical reason behind those decisions, though: the states were on the verge of hospitals being overwhelmed, and discharged these patients to free up bed space.) In Florida, that was not allowed, which may explain why fewer people died there.

What is really disturbing is that,at least in N.Y.'s case they had the ability to use the Javitz Center and USS Comfort.

Even though the Comfort was refitted for  Covid,NY didn't use it,at least not much.

I'm also sure,if there was beds available on the Comfort,N.J. could have that ship for covid patients too.

10 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You are too kind.  But that is understandable... my feelings on the matter would only serve as a test of the profanity filters.

The decision makers in those states (Pennsylvania too, IIRC), while telling us that vulnerable people should self-isolate, treated nursing homes like chickenpox parties.

Good call on their part.  I find that encouraging.

Death rate in PA nursing homes horrible too but no details why. Hopefully they will come out. Do know that 2 of 3 homes in my immediate area that are considered crap holes have horrible numbers. And one in a nearby city that has had a bad reputation for decades also has horrible numbers 

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Use my own tote bags .

In N.J.,at least the area where I live,Shop Rite cashiers will not put groceries into reusable bags.

Either you bag yourself,or they put your groceries in a plastic bag,and you put it in your tote.

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

In N.J.,at least the area where I live,Shop Rite cashiers will not put groceries into reusable bags.

Either you bag yourself,or they put your groceries in a plastic bag,and you put it in your tote.

Have that with the local Weis store. No idea if that’s the policy of the whole chain or individual stores. Read their reasoning and can see issues either way with totes or reusable. When I go there I follow their wishes and rebag everything to my totes at the car (having a suv with the hatch helps). Then trash the plastic at the store and clean hands with the wipe.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Ditto.  Been active right since March shut downs.  Batting practice (small group), fitness center (when fewer people attend), etc.  Worn masks when required and softball games started a month ago.

Had sarcoidosis in the early 70's.   https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sarcoidosis   Took prednisone, which eventually had me in remission.  Yearly chest x-rays were negative, but their is some scar tissue.  But like many health issues and our overall health,  I believe our DNA is a big key.  PEI mother had to help. "Oh Canada,........"