Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Though there are reports of reinfection. What’s up with that? Serious question.

Not possible. 

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

30% immunity essentially stops community spread.

Nope.

But also, even if that were true, we'd need the whole country to go through something worse than what New York City endured.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Though there are reports of reinfection. What’s up with that? Serious question.

In almost all cases, these have turned out to be (1) people who hadn't actually gotten over the virus in the first place or (2) people who tested positive for remnants of the virus but were no longer infected.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

Only 25% of NYC?  Thanks for making my point.

Um... you're welcome, I guess. But you wrote: "I have long suspected that a much higher percentage of the population has this than some realize, which means that the percentage of infected people who die from it is much lower than we get from simply comparing deaths to known cases."

So I guess it depends who "some realize" refers to. But to return to NYC: 0.2% of the population died from Covid=19 (approx. 17,000 out of 8,000,000). If 25% of the city was infected, then the death rate is 0.8%. That's the number I've seen reported as an estimate for a couple months now. That would mean that Covid-19 is eight times deadlier than the flu, whose rate is 0.1%.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Um... you're welcome, I guess. But you wrote: "I have long suspected that a much higher percentage of the population has this than some realize, which means that the percentage of infected people who die from it is much lower than we get from simply comparing deaths to known cases."

Thank you N.E. Brasso, for telling me what I just wrote and for arguing with what it doesn’t mean. It’s like he never left.  

As many people have many different impressions and beliefs about the pandemic, as there are over 330 million people in this country and over 7 billion people on the planet, and as the word “some” can be any amount greater than zero, I feel pretty confident that my statement is not incorrect.  

I will make a note that “some” does not include you in the event that anyone asks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/16/2020 at 5:27 AM, HockeyDad said:

Let’s take proactive measures to help each other at least in the mental health area. If you’re bouncing off the walls, feeling panic creep in, or just need a sympathetic ear, post it here and let’s work to encourage each other. We WILL get through this but it will take time. If you want to start the blame posts go somewhere else. Love you all!

Can I just remind people of the intent of the OP (above) in starting this ENCOURAGEMENT thread.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

Can I just remind people of the intent of the OP (above) in starting this ENCOURAGEMENT thread.  

Wait, you mean it WASN'T an invitation to become a keyboard infectious disease Google search expert relating every occurance to the implications of repeating circumstances in the most densely-populated city in the country with the intent of scaring the entire population into staying home and shutting down a vibrant economy strictly to negatively affect the incumbent's chances in the upcoming presidential elections?

I'm sure you'll forgive my not knowing after having to scroll through 168 pages to find your quote.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In almost all cases, these have turned out to be (1) people who hadn't actually gotten over the virus in the first place or (2) people who tested positive for remnants of the virus but were no longer infected.

Herd immunity and community spread are two different things. Once we hit 30% it will make large rapid outbreaks very unlikely.

Nope.

But also, even if that were true, we'd need the whole country to go through something worse than what New York City endured.

No we’d need most of the main population areas to achieve 30% immunity. Top 10 markets.

Edited by MikeRapp

New revelation may change everything we know about coronavirus antibodies

• Like 1

https://bgr.com/2020/06/20/coronavirus-antibody-tests-negative-result-covid-19-immunity/#

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2