Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

On 6/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

But if it cheers people up to think of me as looking like Hayley Mills, so be it.

0a9a78d5e78e5ad60baa41eb2ca3dc37.jpg

Which drum corps show should Hayley Mills bring to mind?

I was thinking of Cadets' 2005 show, but why?

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2020 at 10:25 AM, Cappybara said:

She knows how to monetize her sweet charm and looks, I’ll give her that 

Well, she is a hero for making the sacrifice for everyone.  Who among us would take on that responsibility?  After all, it is an emotionally challenging occupation reacting to youtube videos hours upon hours.  I'm sure she has to periodically seek professional counseling.  We are all forever in her debt.  :whistle:    

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

In the U.S. today, newly reported cases (33,000), deaths (775), and the positivity rate (6.4%) were all higher today compared to yesterday -- but that's normal for Tuesdays vs. Mondays -- and compared to last Tuesday. Deaths would be flat week over week if not for some delayed reporting today out of Delaware, but the positivity rate was at its highest point in more than a month: the implication of that is that the increase in cases is not just a function of more testing.

However, in his Congressional testimony today, Dr. Fauci had some encouraging words:

"We feel cautiously optimistic, based on the concerted effort and the fact we are taking financial risks — not risks to safety, not risks to the integrity of the science, but financial risk to be able to be ahead of the game — so that when, and I believe it will be when and not if, we get favorable candidates with good results, we will be able to make them available to the American public. ... It would put us at the end of this calendar year and the beginning of 2021."

• Like 1

Interesting...

The EU is in discussion with J&J to reserve some portion of the billion doses of s vaccine J&J plans to produce of its product currently in trials. The US already has a similar deal with AstroZeneca.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Ah, you commented on the deleted post. Don’t act so surprised. 

Dang; my first deleted post.  Do I get a "gold star" or an ice cream sandwich?  I stated in the post that it wasn't a political statement.  Would that qualify as  "passive aggressive" behavior?  :giljotiini: 

P.S.  In the spirit of DCP, never forget #GeorgeHopkins

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

Let me put the most encouraging coronavirus news I saw today at the top this time: the U.S. reports having conducted 640,000 tests in the past 24 hours, and that's the most ever. So no matter what anyone says, we're not slowing the testing down. Not a joke. I wouldn't say I never kid, but I'm not kidding now.

(And if we could just boost that number about 10% and then keep it going every day for a month or so, we might finally get a handle on this thing.)

Partly as a result of that, the U.S. also reported its highest ever number of new cases today: 42,000.

But that case record we broke today is just one day old. Yesterday, the U.S. also reported its highest ever number of new cases ever: 39,000. And yesterday's number of reported tests was not a record.

However, the number of deaths reported today, 646, is down both from yesterday (722) and from one week ago (693).

(That death total of 646 ignores numbers from New Jersey, which has now  gone back through its death records from the past three months to find Covid-19 deaths that were missed in the original reporting. That state today announced it found more than 1,800 deaths not previously counted. As a reminder: this process is exactly how all disease statistics are handled every year. For example, the annual numbers you've seen reported for the flu are not the numbers that were reported at the time.)

On the other hand, though, the largest hospital complex in the country (or maybe the world), the Texas Medical Center in the Houston area, maxed out its regular ICU capacity today. As its administrators predicted yesterday, they're now at 100%. They have been planning for this and have some surge capacity. Unfortunately, based on current trends in that area, TMC says they expect to run out of those additional ICU beds in less than two weeks.

Also: Arizona what are you doing?

EbZxHN6UEAAZqyA?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1