Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

I'm encouraged that no one's criticized me for being wrong in this post I made on April 18, but I do feel obliged to own up to my mistake.

In that post, I predicted that when the first wave of Covid-19 ended, there would be 105,000 U.S. deaths.

(At that time, there were about 37,000 U.S. deaths.)

The first wave hasn't ended yet. We're on a slowly declining plateau, with 750-1,100 new deaths reported today, depending on the source. Some of the difference in that range is due to timing. I think the CDC updates earlier in the day, for instance.

The total U.S. deaths in the U.S. are now 105,157 (per the CDC), or 106,180 (per CNN), or 108,059 (per Worldometer).

But it's over 105,000 regardless of the source.

So I apologize for my bad prediction.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Is a “socially distant get together” an oxymoron or not? While home set up the carport to be an open air patio with outdoor carpet and Ollie’s tables and chairs. Friend from work coming over for dinner and if we sit at opposite corners it’s a good 10 feet away. Haven’t seen each other since my retirement lunch in February so seeing her is encouragement. Being bleeping careful as she takes care of an elderly family member.

My stepmother's knitting group and my father's folk music group both held widely-spaced outdoor gatherings this week, I'm told.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

My stepmother's knitting group and my father's folk music group both held widely-spaced outdoor gatherings this week, I'm told.

Cool. I got the idea of doing up the carport to visit from my neighbor. Young lady has 2 or 3 friends over once a week. They sit at opposite ends of the patio, talk and hoist a few. 👍 They don’t mind talking (at a distance) to that guy who is old enough to be their father (me). But they really want to see my dog flip out when they talk to her. (Love the dog, tolerate the owner lol).

You're welcome.

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Cool. I got the idea of doing up the carport to visit from my neighbor. Young lady has 2 or 3 friends over once a week. They sit at opposite ends of the patio, talk and hoist a few. 👍 They don’t mind talking (at a distance) to that guy who is old enough to be their father (me). But they really want to see my dog flip out when they talk to her. (Love the dog, tolerate the owner lol).

Bichons can be charming ... when not driving you nuts! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But it's over 105,000 regardless of the source.   So I apologize for my bad prediction.

I might be reading too much into the post and my memory is not too good on your previous posts on this topic, but I smell a pound of flesh.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I might be reading too much into the post and my memory is not too good on your previous posts on this topic, but I smell a pound of flesh.

"The quality of mercy is not strained."

Also: "As any Chicago cop will tell you, a phone book doesn't leave bruises ... Street Smarts!"

Edited by N.E. Brigand

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Let’s see .. let’s round down to 100,000 deaths, and let’s take only one pound of flesh from every victim ... that makes 50 tons of flesh. 

43 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Bichons can be charming ... when not driving you nuts! 

Stubborn as a Boxer. Family had four of them over the years. Both are great at “selective hearing”. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm encouraged that no one's criticized me for being wrong in this post I made on April 18, but I do feel obliged to own up to my mistake.

In that post, I predicted that when the first wave of Covid-19 ended, there would be 105,000 U.S. deaths.

(At that time, there were about 37,000 U.S. deaths.)

The first wave hasn't ended yet. We're on a slowly declining plateau, with 750-1,100 new deaths reported today, depending on the source. Some of the difference in that range is due to timing. I think the CDC updates earlier in the day, for instance.

The total U.S. deaths in the U.S. are now 105,157 (per the CDC), or 106,180 (per CNN), or 108,059 (per Worldometer).

But it's over 105,000 regardless of the source.

So I apologize for my bad prediction.

only an ######## of larger proportions than even me would call you out