Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Is a “socially distant get together” an oxymoron or not? 🤭 While home set up the carport to be an open air patio with outdoor carpet and Ollie’s tables and chairs. Friend from work coming over for dinner and if we sit at opposite corners it’s a good 10 feet away. Haven’t seen each other since my retirement lunch in February so seeing her is encouragement. Being bleeping careful as she takes care of an elderly family member.

Judging by current trends... 

Thousands-Occupy-Portland-Bridge-Laying-

... I am more encouraged by your approach to maintaining social distancing.

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm encouraged that no one's criticized me for being wrong in this post I made on April 18, but I do feel obliged to own up to my mistake.

In that post, I predicted that when the first wave of Covid-19 ended, there would be 105,000 U.S. deaths.

(At that time, there were about 37,000 U.S. deaths.)

The first wave hasn't ended yet. We're on a slowly declining plateau, with 750-1,100 new deaths reported today, depending on the source. Some of the difference in that range is due to timing. I think the CDC updates earlier in the day, for instance.

The total U.S. deaths in the U.S. are now 105,157 (per the CDC), or 106,180 (per CNN), or 108,059 (per Worldometer).

But it's over 105,000 regardless of the source.

So I apologize for my bad prediction.

You are being too hard on yourself.  How were you supposed to know that officials would go from counting deaths from C-19, to deaths with C-19, then to deaths during C-19?  Or that hospitals would be financially incentivized to label anything remotely similar as C-19 without verification?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm encouraged that no one's criticized me for being wrong in this post I made on April 18, but I do feel obliged to own up to my mistake.

In that post, I predicted that when the first wave of Covid-19 ended, there would be 105,000 U.S. deaths.

(At that time, there were about 37,000 U.S. deaths.)

The first wave hasn't ended yet. We're on a slowly declining plateau, with 750-1,100 new deaths reported today, depending on the source. Some of the difference in that range is due to timing. I think the CDC updates earlier in the day, for instance.

The total U.S. deaths in the U.S. are now 105,157 (per the CDC), or 106,180 (per CNN), or 108,059 (per Worldometer).

But it's over 105,000 regardless of the source.

So I apologize for my bad prediction.

The important thing is that you are having a good time.

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Judging by current trends... 

Thousands-Occupy-Portland-Bridge-Laying-

... I am more encouraged by your approach to maintaining social distancing.

I completely agree that the people in your photograph are not practicing social distancing, and I fear that this will lead to some of them getting sick. (And I'm disappointed in the doctors who signed a letter excusing this poor pandemic behavior.)

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I completely agree that the people in your photograph are not practicing social distancing, and I fear that this will lead to some of them getting sick. (And I'm disappointed in the doctors who signed a letter excusing this poor pandemic behavior.)

Is the picture from one of the protests? Asking as seeing most people with masks on the news so at least that is encouraging. Now if people I see while out would learn it’s mouth AND nose. Usually Dollar Tree I see it but now try to avoid the place for that reason

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Is the picture from one of the protests? Asking as seeing most people with masks on the news so at least that is encouraging. Now if people I see while out would learn it’s mouth AND nose. Usually Dollar Tree I see it but now try to avoid the place for that reason

That was my assumption. And yes, lots of people are wearing masks. But even with masks, and even outdoors (where transmission is less likely), and even in warm weather (which does seem to make it harder for the virus to spread), so many people so close together for so long makes it very likely that cases go up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

It is definitely from one of the protests. I remember seeing it on the news. I think it might have been Portland, but I am not sure ... somewhere on the West Coast, I think.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

AND eyes - folks tend to forget that, but honestly it hasn't been as stressed I think because it is hard enough to get folks to wear a mask let alone add eye protection.  something is better than nothing.

and since FL opened up, masks and social distancing have pretty much been abandoned by most people.  we'll see what happens soon.  I'm still required to wear a mask at work in advance of the parks opening up and mandating all staff and guests wear them starting July 11.  So far it looks like the Disney Springs experiment is working, most patrons are complying, but we haven't hit summer sun and heat yet either. 

Oh, semi-good news.  we are working overtime now, cast members are getting notified to report to work, and the parks are starting to come to life.  lots of cleaning up and prepping, and construction projects are working to catch up.  they say most of the construction that sat idle will likely be completed before the reopening.

Interesting times.

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

AND eyes - folks tend to forget that, but honestly it hasn't been as stressed I think because it is hard enough to get folks to wear a mask let alone add eye protection.  something is better than nothing.

and since FL opened up, masks and social distancing have pretty much been abandoned by most people.  we'll see what happens soon.  I'm still required to wear a mask at work in advance of the parks opening up and mandating all staff and guests wear them starting July 11.  So far it looks like the Disney Springs experiment is working, most patrons are complying, but we haven't hit summer sun and heat yet either. 

Oh, semi-good news.  we are working overtime now, cast members are getting notified to report to work, and the parks are starting to come to life.  lots of cleaning up and prepping, and construction projects are working to catch up.  they say most of the construction that sat idle will likely be completed before the reopening.

Interesting times.

It was said today Florida cases are spiking quite a bit. Interesting times for sure

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Confused 1

PA been around 400-700 a day for about a month now. Considering it was over 1000 for way too long that’s good news. In a few days state will open up more including eastern side (Philly/Allentown) which had been worst hit. We’re still 7th in cases but sadly TX and IL catching up. We will see if people get complacent with more openings. My county is in yellow and many stores only allow in a certain number of people at a time. And no shirt, no shoes, no mask and your butt stays outside. But haven’t heard of any real trouble with that policy

Edited by JimF-LowBari