Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

PA just announced in building for public schools can resume 7/1. There is a whole laundry list of things that need to be done and planned first but it’s a start. One item is “plans for at risk students” which doesn’t sound like a “one size fits all students” plan which is great. Higher education can resume in building next week, also with planning and restrictions.

Article wasn’t too detailed so that’s all I know for now 

edit: found another source that said these are preliminary plans and details being worked on.

Also sent nasty gram to local online news. They brag that all coronavirus news will be free. But this one (which concerns kids) is an “exclusive” (but can be found in at least one other place) so you must sign up at $10 a month. 

the list is nuts. its going to scare schools off

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Too #### people have died. Who the hell cares what the actual number is. 

a-#######-men

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, Continental said:

Encouragement Thread - Electric Boogaloo?

It's always struck me as odd that the title of a poorly received and little seen sequel (#108 for 1985) to a modestly successful dance film (#17 for 1984, between Revenge of the Nerds and Bachelor Party, with $39 million, which would be $59 million today) "entered the popular cultural lexicon as a snowclone pejorative nickname to denote an archetypal sequel ... The usual connotation is of either a ridiculous sequel title, or of the follow-up to an obscure or eclectic film (or other work)." Thus per Wikipedia, which however doesn't offer any information about why the name "electric boogaloo" stuck in people's minds the way it did.

32 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's always struck me as odd that the title of a poorly received and little seen sequel (#108 for 1985) to a modestly successful dance film (#17 for 1984, between Revenge of the Nerds and Bachelor Party, with $39 million, which would be $59 million today) "entered the popular cultural lexicon as a snowclone pejorative nickname to denote an archetypal sequel ... The usual connotation is of either a ridiculous sequel title, or of the follow-up to an obscure or eclectic film (or other work)." Thus per Wikipedia, which however doesn't offer any information about why the name "electric boogaloo" stuck in people's minds the way it did.

You could have said "It surprised me that it became a "thing." 

Look at most memes today. 

Edited by Continental
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:14 PM, cixelsyd said:

Because large gatherings of people were deemed unsafe, and unacceptable.

that is what the experts said yes. 

One of the reasons for DCI cancellation had to do with housing I am sure. I feel like the DCI did the right thing. The other health experts not so much. 

On 6/3/2020 at 6:07 AM, cixelsyd said:

You are being too hard on yourself.  How were you supposed to know that officials would go from counting deaths from C-19, to deaths with C-19, then to deaths during C-19?  Or that hospitals would be financially incentivized to label anything remotely similar as C-19 without verification?

The man who was Murdered by the cops was positive for covid-19 right? By the logic presented in that type of counting, then his death is a covid-19 death. 

Edited by E3D

On 6/4/2020 at 3:08 PM, skevinp said:

Well, given the 11,748,296 posts he has made gleefully finding every possible excuse to mention it, including in an encouragement thread, I would say that N.E. does.  

No doubt some do enjoy mentioning it. 

4 hours ago, E3D said:

The man who was Murdered by the cops was positive for covid-19 right? By the logic presented in that type of counting, then his death is a covid-19 death. 

Mr. Floyd had prevoiusly had and subseqently recovered from Covid-19. Because Covid-19 can have lasting effects on a person's lungs, it's certainly possible that that made it harder for him to breathe with someone's knee on his neck for nine minutes. But no, his death is no more being counted a Covd-19 death than anyone else for whom it's merely an incidental factor.

If I have a bad limp from a prevoius accident, and you run me down and kill me with your car, you're not off the hook because I'd have been able to evade your pursuit if not for my limp. The medical examiner is not going to list my prevoius accident as my cause of death.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Mr. Floyd had prevoiusly had and subseqently recovered from Covid-19. Because Covid-19 can have lasting effects on a person's lungs, it's certainly possible that that made it harder for him to breathe with someone's knee on his neck for nine minutes. But no, his death is no more being counted a Covd-19 death than anyone else for whom it's merely an incidental factor.

If I have a bad limp from a prevoius accident, and you run me down and kill me with your car, you're not off the hook because I'd have been able to evade your pursuit if not for my limp. The medical examiner is not going to list my prevoius accident as my cause of death.

Not going to take the bait that you actually are saying I would do that in bold. I don't know you in real life brah. 

But the counters were most def counting deaths of people who just merely were positive for covid and dies of things like heart-attack / strokes. 

You will notice that I do not say his death was anything related to his previous or ongoing condition with the covid 19, he was murdered. 

Edited by E3D

6 hours ago, E3D said:

that is what the experts said yes. 

One of the reasons for DCI cancellation had to do with housing I am sure. I feel like the DCI did the right thing. The other health experts not so much. 

AS someone very involved in auditions and member communication ( all seasons of the activity ). MANY were and are far from comfortable with the whole situation. Parents who actually make decisions for their kids, ( younger corps, etc. ) put the brakes on and if there is a resurge will do it again.

You are quite right about housing, it is and will continue to be an issue.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1