Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

So question has been raised: when the heck do the hoarders have enough of what they “need” and supermarket insanity dies down?

Sis and I think it’s when they can’t find the toilet for all the toilet paper stacked around it....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's not just a theory, but it's also a terrible plan.

The United Kingdom was doing this until a few days ago, when they did the calculations about how many people would die.

The UK is sort-of closing schools as of Friday night. Certain categories of workers can still send students to school....

Children of:

NHS workers

Police/fire

School staff

Delivery drivers

'critical infrastructure' workers

Plus special needs students will still be permitted to attend schools

They are not yet closing restaurants and pubs. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sis and I think it’s when they can’t find the toilet for all the toilet paper stacked around it....

Maybe she is afraid of reverting back to these options.

Before the advent of modern toilet paper many different materials were used for the same purposes. Different materials were used depending upon the country, weather conditions, social customs and status. People used leaves, grass, ferns, corn cobs, maize, fruit skins, seashells, stone, sand, moss, snow and water.  And don't forget their hands.

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Maybe she is afraid of reverting back to these options.

Before the advent of modern toilet paper many different materials were used for the same purposes. Different materials were used depending upon the country, weather conditions, social customs and status. People used leaves, grass, ferns, corn cobs, maize, fruit skins, seashells, stone, sand, moss, snow and water.  And don't forget their hands.

Sis isn’t hoarding, (except maybe cat litter for the herd they are taking care of) we’re just shaking our heads over it all.

But you forgot yesterdays olde #1... the Sears catalog.... lol

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The UK is sort-of closing schools as of Friday night. Certain categories of workers can still send students to school....

Children of:

NHS workers

Police/fire

School staff

Delivery drivers

'critical infrastructure' workers

Plus special needs students will still be permitted to attend schools

They are not yet closing restaurants and pubs.

As far as the schools go, that sounds like a good plan.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's not just a theory, but it's also a terrible plan.

The United Kingdom was doing this until a few days ago, when they did the calculations about how many people would die.

Yep, that was my conclusion.  Large group immunization until the vaccination is ready.  Or they may look at it as "iactura paucorum serva multos" or the "sacrifice the few to save the many" method.  But in my case, I'd probably be in the few or the sacrifice group.  I'd rather not be a sacrifice at this time in my life.     

Edited by keystone3ply
addition

well the Governor in PA basically shut down the Commonwealth. so cue my phone exploding with people due to close on their homes in the next 2/3 weeks freaking out and me not having any clear guidance on what to tell them yet.

or if they don't close how the #### i'm gonna get paid

• Sad 4

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well the Governor in PA basically shut down the Commonwealth. so cue my phone exploding with people due to close on their homes in the next 2/3 weeks freaking out and me not having any clear guidance on what to tell them yet.

or if they don't close how the #### i'm gonna get paid

Yeah, I’m already starting to freak out. Even if I can get under contract quickly with the practice that wants to hire me, I probably won’t see a paycheck until June. A friend from school, who lives in Washington state,  just posted that their governor just banned all non-critical work, requiring the use of personal protective equipment, until mid May. Which means a lot of dentists there won’t be working for a while. I imagine Texas will eventually do something similar. (I already have lots of friends who’ve basically had to stop all non-emergent treatment.) I guess HEB is hiring. I could be the only grocery stocker with a DEA#. 🙂 (I don’t mean that as a diss, BTW- I’ve worked many a year in a grocery store. I’m just not sure what to do just yet...)

5 hours ago, year1buick said:

Yeah, I’m already starting to freak out. Even if I can get under contract quickly with the practice that wants to hire me, I probably won’t see a paycheck until June. A friend from school, who lives in Washington state,  just posted that their governor just banned all non-critical work, requiring the use of personal protective equipment, until mid May. Which means a lot of dentists there won’t be working for a while. I imagine Texas will eventually do something similar. (I already have lots of friends who’ve basically had to stop all non-emergent treatment.) I guess HEB is hiring. I could be the only grocery stocker with a DEA#. 🙂 (I don’t mean that as a diss, BTW- I’ve worked many a year in a grocery store. I’m just not sure what to do just yet...)

Even if under contract there’s no guarantee it’ll close

So here's the situation in SE Tennessee:

So Britt's work still hasn't sent the DHS workers home because they haven't gotten their VPN logins yet (which I happen to find completely silly....it's a VPN tunnel after all.) She started getting short of breath on Wednesday so she called her doctor and came home. They gave her an appointment for the following morning.

We get to the doctor at 9:45 to get tested and they tell her they don't test here, but based on her single symptom she "very well may have covid 19" and that she needs to be tested immediately. They send us to a walk in clinic to get tested (not the hospital 50 feet away,) who tell us they don't do the testing either and give us a number to the CDC Tennessee hotline so they can give us a testing site.

Call that number who tells us they don't have any idea of where to be tested and to call the PCP back. After about 6 calls back and forth, I call MY pcp who tells us to call the ER and have them call back to Britts pcp to start the process. 

This whole thing went on for about....8 hours. Literally 20+ calls with US doing all the legwork calling various rabbit hole state numbers etc. Finally her pcp calls and says "Ok you can come in tomorrow and get tested here. We had them this morning but weren't trained on how to administer them." 

Needless to say.....I wasn't amused. But I didn't lose my s###. I'm at the doctor now waiting for her to be tested. 

The big problem here is getting the test. The ER will not do it without a doctors referral and the doctors don't know what to do to make that happen. You also (according to the ER,) be exhibiting at least 3 of the 4 symptoms and be either 1. Immune-compromised or 2. Living with someone who is. 

Sooooooo frustrating. 

• Sad 2