Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have a 90 year old neighbor who has a Mercury “boat” for a car and a 45 degree angle driveway. If he ever loses control and comes down straight that’s what I will have. 🙀

About the only good thing about shelter in place is his kids have been shopping for him and he’s not driving.

How’s that Bichon doing by now? Need a grooming? 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have a 90 year old neighbor who has a Mercury “boat” for a car and a 45 degree angle driveway. If he ever loses control and comes down straight that’s what I will have. 🙀.

Not what you meant, but boats and slopes make me think of this:

j7na3hF5axM_ih9i1AV5cXda0zbG0DMH5MltFwki

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

How’s that Bichon doing by now? Need a grooming? 

Lucked out in this pet loving state. Cannot go into the groomers shop but she can come out in the parking lot to pick the dog up. Just means I have to pay by cash as can’t get to the credit card machine. Guessing if grooming (and nails) is needed for dogs health it is essential but   groomer had to pass a social distancing test (why I can’t enter the shop) for a waiver to open. Friend has two Yorkies and her shop just got a waiver. Just in time as she says the dogs can’t see for the hair in the eyes. 

Pet stores also open and nephew consider essential as he mixes dry dog food for Purina. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lucked out in this pet loving state. Cannot go into the groomers shop but she can come out to pick the dog up. Just means I have to pay by cash as can’t get to the credit card machine. Guessing if grooming (and nails) is needed for dogs health it is essential but   groomer had to pass a social distancing test (why I can’t enter the shop) for a waiver to open. Friend has two Yorkies and her shop just got a waiver. Just in time as she says the dogs can’t see for the hair in the eyes. 

Pet stores also open and nephew consider essential as he mixes dry dog food for Purina. 

I have two Shelties. They could stand a grooming about now, especially a sanitary strip. 
I had a Bichon once. She was a rescue, and she was the bane of my existence. I loved her a lot. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, skevinp said:

As long as no one drives into my walk in shower.

Or the walk in tub!

• Haha 1

I've seen a few plague-theme shows in marching band and drum corps before, sometimes analogized as zombie stories.

So we may be in for a spate of horror shows in the future. Unless the reality is seen as too grim.

(Saw an Anne Frank marching band show once, though, and subject matter doesn't get any grimmer than that. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad.)

Has DCI seen any vampire shows besides Glassmen in 2011 and Cavaliers in 2014?

340?cb=20170622005524

Mix it up with Phantom 2010, but instead of "Into the Light", call it "The Light Into".

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just in time as she says the dogs can’t see for the hair in the eyes.  

Took one to the groomer last week.  The older one (15+) took his last liver pill today.  He rounded third base last year and is very close to home.  No more groomer for him, but our scissors do a great job around his two eyes which only gives him about 10-15% of seeing ability do to cataracts.  I drop his leash about 60 yards from home (he's trying to take off sooner), but he knows where to go and make the left turn for a straight sprint to the door.

Edited by Ghost
  • Sad 2

i'm encouraged by the forecast i can take my wife out to dinner on the sun porch for our anniversary

On 4/23/2020 at 7:38 AM, Fred Windish said:

I do not share your opinion on political posts.  DCP was not/is not provided to serve as a political ideology weapon. People come here to discuss news, etc. related to Marching Music. Thousands of other Message Board opportunities exist to espouse whatever view point one desires, including many sites that are not moderated. I suggest some posters here just go to those sites.

There is NO politically-motivated message posted here than cannot be discredited in some way, with EQUALLY valid counterpoints.

Many who post here merely parrot what they have seen/heard elsewhere. Some are trying to “work this audience.” We don’t need that. It will be tough enough to keep this site going until the corps are performing again, without turning-off half of all users due to political garbage taking over.

Moderators here are doing the best they can. For the first time in 15 years, I have now used the “REPORT” button a few times and will continue.

That's perfectly ok & I guess I'll have to "respectfully" disagree.  Obviously you missed my analogy in the statement "avoid weaving a little "political banter" when discussing this COVID-19 event due to it's politicization by all parties involved".  The term "Political Banter" is usually used in reference to small talk about politics in a light hearted or witty manner.  This is an unprecedented event that has & will continue to effect the activity that I have loved & participated in since 1978 while in high school.  Obviously, you guys must be much older than me as I see some of your hate & disdain for the current DCI performance product.  But the level of performance is simply incredible now & it's only going to improve just as it has every decade from the late 70s when I was introduced by my HS band director.  I have observed my students performing thru the summers over the past several years in (2) open class & (4) world class organizations.  Three (3) of those students performing in a top 3 corps with (1) scheduled to age out this year.  (Please see my next response to administrator Johnz to follow about potential revenue for DCP.)

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

22 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Experience proves allowing discussion of politics and religion devolves quickly and never ends well, without exception.  At one time we tried a Current Events subtopic in the General Off Topic forum to give members more latitude but that quickly augered into the ditch and had to be closed.  Granted, crossover discussion that impacts the activity is a little tricky and we have tried to support them as long as they remain relevant to 'the arts', which is why threads like this one are allowed to continue.  But as we see time and again, no matter how long we try to keep the discussion on track they all eventually get to the point where we have to call a timeout.

But to be honest, and at the direction of the owner of DCP,  we prefer to keep the forums focused on the activity and are perfectly fine relinquishing those kinds of CE discussions and traffic to Facebook, Reddit, etc. 

I'm pretty sure WDW reopening is leaning toward late June-early July. probably a very limited opening - besides the uncertainty of the pandemic, Disney will have to hire a lot of replacement workers for the ones who have gone elsewhere as well as all the kids from the College Program.

Talked to some cast members about connections to the marching arts - corps/guard/band folks who work and perform there.  pretty amazing how many connections there are.  we were even reminiscing about Future Corps.

Thank you your intellectual & measured response.  I've read DCP sporadically for several years & have rarely posted.  But this is an unprecedented event that is effecting the activity we all love.  I'm not sure about the DCP business model, but there seems to be a hugh opportunity to allow a discussion thread about the COVID-19 event as it pertains to the activity that would probably involve some political interjection.  There was a recent thread that "exploded" with all types of comments in just 48 hours.  And if the business model involves selling advertisements on a thread, then there may be a missed opportunity for a large product footprint.  Of course, there's always a chance that I don't know what I'm talking about.  I choose to remain "humble". 

But I can see why the DCP forum receives some negative reviews from my colleges & students because of the general tone that sometimes perviates from the forum.  (e.g., the "Would You Still Cheer...?" thread)  If new thoughts, theories, & ideas are not welcomed from the younger member population, (even younger members than me), then this venue could die a slow death.  Are there stats over the past few years as to the number of active members that shows increased levels as well decreased levels of forum participation?  With a great business model, I would think yes.  Example to my thought:  An older church that doesn't recruit & nurture their young adult/youth population will not experience any growth.  Does that make sense?  Again, all stated humbly with respect.  Thanks for listening.      

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1