Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

4 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

But I can see why the DCP forum receives some negative reviews from my colleges & students because of the general tone that sometimes perviates from the forum.  (e.g., the "Would You Still Cheer...?" thread)  If new thoughts, theories, & ideas are not welcomed from the younger member population, (even younger members than me), then this venue could die a slow death.

This concern you raise seems to me too vague to grapple with. Can you provide more specifics? That thread you cite proposes that drum corps might look quite different after COVID19 (at least for a while) and asks whether people would still enjoy them -- with the ironic note that some of the possible changes the crisis might force upon drum corps are those that the people often derided as "dinosaurs" have long wished for. DCP is a place where both the new and the old take their lumps.

That thread's originator has long suggested that smaller drum corps in smaller venues might be where the activity is heading. Think WGI Winds. As someone else noted, there is also a model for this in the Japanese marching band world. Personally I happen to think bigness is part of what makes drum corps special. But like most of the respondents in that thread, I will take what I can get.

Edit: You might prefer to discuss this question in that thread, leaving this one for its stated goal of encouraging messages. If you do, I'll follow this conversation there.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I was on my treadmill listening to Sergio Mendez on Spotify, enjoying the old familiar tracks. Then the song “Like A Lover” came on. And I had one of those - “hold on a second” - moments. I Know that song!  Where have I heard it. Oh yeah - Blue Devils 1984. What a show. I had no idea that BD closer was a Sergio Mendez song. Hah. Now I know. I missed large portions of 1984-1986 driving around in large squares in the North Arabian Sea demonstrating the value of nuclear powered navy ships. So I never saw any of those seasons live. But that 84 BD show was smoking hot!  

Edited by HockeyDad

We played that in marching band in 1986. I'd never heard of drum corps much less of the Blue Devils, but I have to assume that their performance was an influence.

It was co-written by the Bergmans? I had no idea.  

13 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Thank you your intellectual & measured response.  I've read DCP sporadically for several years & have rarely posted.  But this is an unprecedented event that is effecting the activity we all love.  I'm not sure about the DCP business model, but there seems to be a hugh opportunity to allow a discussion thread about the COVID-19 event as it pertains to the activity that would probably involve some political interjection.  There was a recent thread that "exploded" with all types of comments in just 48 hours.  And if the business model involves selling advertisements on a thread, then there may be a missed opportunity for a large product footprint.  Of course, there's always a chance that I don't know what I'm talking about.  I choose to remain "humble". 

But I can see why the DCP forum receives some negative reviews from my colleges & students because of the general tone that sometimes perviates from the forum.  (e.g., the "Would You Still Cheer...?" thread)  If new thoughts, theories, & ideas are not welcomed from the younger member population, (even younger members than me), then this venue could die a slow death.  Are there stats over the past few years as to the number of active members that shows increased levels as well decreased levels of forum participation?  With a great business model, I would think yes.  Example to my thought:  An older church that doesn't recruit & nurture their young adult/youth population will not experience any growth.  Does that make sense?  Again, all stated humbly with respect.  Thanks for listening.      

younger fans of the activity look down on DCP as "grouchy old man get off my lawn" drum corps chat

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/23/2020 at 10:48 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

I've seen a few plague-theme shows in marching band and drum corps before, sometimes analogized as zombie stories.

So we may be in for a spate of horror shows in the future. Unless the reality is seen as too grim.

(Saw an Anne Frank marching band show once, though, and subject matter doesn't get any grimmer than that. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad.)

Has DCI seen any vampire shows besides Glassmen in 2011 and Cavaliers in 2014?

340?cb=20170622005524

Mix it up with Phantom 2010, but instead of "Into the Light", call it "The Light Into".

Crossmen 2009

Edited by ftwdrummer

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

younger fans of the activity look down on DCP as "grouchy old man get off my lawn" drum corps chat

And they are 100% correct 

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

And they are 100% correct 

Given that DCP regularly sees complaints about the supposed backwards opinions of so-called dinosaurs, I'm not sure they can be 100% correct.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Given that DCP regularly sees complaints about the supposed backwards opinions of so-called dinosaurs, I'm not sure they can be 100% correct.

And sometimes those complaints are from other Dino’s....

• Like 1