Time for DCI to cancel season?

imo, the time has come for DCI to announce the cancellation of the 2020 season.  Housing issues alone would be impossible to resolve. Colleges are closing early,  and will likely go on lockdown for at least half the summer. High schools as well. Better to announce now, so that the kids have time to make other summer plans. DCI and the corps will survive, and come back strong in 2021. Our activity has weathered many storms over the decades, due largely to the amazing people involved in the drum corps world. 

Edited by Phantom56
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

imo, the time has come for DCI to announce the cancellation of the 2020 season.  Housing issues alone would be impossible to resolve. Colleges are closing early,  and will likely go on lockdown for at least half the summer. High schools as well. Better to announce now, so that the kids have time to make other summer plans. DCI and the corps will survive, and come back strong in 2021. Our activity has weathered many storms over the decades, due largely to the amazing people involved in the drum corps world. 

As much as I hate to say it, I agree. This is going to extend well beyond May, and the logistical nightmare that would ensue would be difficult to navigate around. However, the one thing that might be keeping DCI from canceling would be event insurance. They might be trying to wait this out to have the state or federal governments force them to cancel so they can collect.With that said it could be a while before things are actually canceled. 

It's time to accept the reality of the inevitable; the transmission of the virus will continue for a while. 

What could a corps director do if a staff member or performer tests positive while on tour?   They'd have to quarantine everyone for 2 weeks.

WGI has already to agreed to give age-outs another season.  DCI should do the same. 

I agree that the 2021 will be strong; can you imagine how competitive the season will be with this much time to prepare?

Would this cancellation also involve all corps refunding tuition money that has already been paid?   If so, kiss most corps goodbye to bankruptcy.  I would highly doubt that more than 3 or 4 have the cash reserves on hand to make those refunds if the season were cancelled today.  And there would be no additional income to cover them.  

9 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

Would this cancellation also involve all corps refunding tuition money that has already been paid?   If so, kiss most corps goodbye to bankruptcy.  I would highly doubt that more than 3 or 4 have the cash reserves on hand to make those refunds if the season were cancelled today.  And there would be no additional income to cover them.  

Now hold on.  MM's are NOT entitled to a full refund.  Subtract from that amount any amounts that have already been paid (props, design, unrefunded deposits for rolling stock, etc), and expenses already paid for camps, etc, and refund the difference.

That does not equal bankruptcy for most corps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is it really "time to cancel"?

It would be if:

1.  Some sort of major 2020-season expense was due to be paid tomorrow, and cancelling today spares DCI and/or corps from making non-refundable commitments.

2.  It was clear that any possible adaptation of the season would be prohibited (i.e. nationwide ban on 51-person groups assembling until after August 8th).

Otherwise, why the rush?  Camps are on hold, and we will have more perspective in two or three weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Agreed that it's too soon to make this call.  Contingency planning is happening at the DCI and corps level, and it sounds like most of the member corps are hoping to get a season in, even in a shortened (four or five week) form.

If, in a month, things are not appearing to be under control or the word from housing sites is a hard no for most lodging, there'd still be time to put the kibosh on things for this summer and have the corps figure out how to proceed with 2021 planning. There would most certainly be some fall out from this in terms of corps who can't make it, and a number of corps would have to ask themselves about how and where they spend money going forward, which might end up being a good thing for the industry If it helps lead to a lessening of expense creep on the creative end of things.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

Is it really "Time for DCI to cancel season"?

It's far too early yet as evidenced over the weekend by annoucements made by California's governor as California attempts to get ahead of the situation. Some populations previously impacted seem to now be on the decline. There simply is not enough information known yet and only more time will tell the story.

I would hope that the corps could still have some type of season if it were only standstill music shows such as the "Fleetwood Recordings from the 1960's - An Evening With The Corps."

We all enjoy and miss the activity and no matter what the outcome, I believe the activity will make a comeback because there are just too many people who enjoy the activity and performances.

Look at how many people have grown up and gone through the corps. I read an article once prepared by a parent/writer from the Santa Clara Vanguard in the 1970's and she referenced then that over 2500 players had gone through their organization.

We simply have to be patient and see what the outcome will be.