Time for DCI to cancel season?

40 minutes ago, stevedci said:

DRUM CORPS NOW!  ALL MEMBERS REPORT IMMEDIATELY TO YOUR CAMP SCHOOL!

CLOSE THE WINDOWS!  TENT THE BUILDING!  LETS KILL THIS BUG WITH SHUT-IN SHOW MUSIC, GYM REPS, AND HIGH SWEAT-HUMIDITY.

(This is a parody.  Do not report to camp until told to by your director.)

Edited by garfield
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tim K said:

the only corps that has said anything I know of regarding the summer is Guardians who are changing portions of their show. This may be anecdotal and perhaps I’ve missed something. 

IIRC, their show theme "Plague" was chosen awhile ago, and might be undergoing some rethinking in light of current events.

39 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

California has 6 counties in "shelter in place".

Bergen County in N.J. is closing all malls,and trying to close most offices and construction 

companies, based on "moral authority" (That may not fly in court).

Ohio cancelled its in person voting.

As has been posted,one person comes down with this on tour and

bye-bye tour  anyway.

There's also potential liability for places that house corps.

Can't go into details,but a lawyer I know was saying his firm has

fielded calls from a number of people wanting to sue for "lost wages",based

on an exposure at a public institution.

They didn't get infected,but had to "self quarantine" for 14 days.

Someone from a corps test positive,the place they're staying at could be sued.

Would they win,probably not,but you still have to deal with the suit.

Even when  infections drop,everything that has been shut down,has to get up

and running again.

That won't happen overnight.

There's just too much uncertainty right now to tour this year.

These "legal" circumstances you're quoting have been a part of drum corps using schools since drum corps began using schools.

Kids have been getting sick on tour for decades.

Infection does not mean death.

People call law firms all the time with wacky schemes to force money or other concessions out of others.  Some lawyers take the challenge.  

I contend there's just too much uncertainty right now to make any decisions about touring this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

IIRC, their show theme "Plague" was chosen awhile ago, and might be undergoing some rethinking in light of current events.

According to Guardians Facebook page, “we have made the decision to change our show and remove all previous content for the original show.” I find this to be very responsible and thoughtful on the part of the corps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

These "legal" circumstances you're quoting have been a part of drum corps using schools since drum corps began using schools.

Kids have been getting sick on tour for decades.

Infection does not mean death.

People call law firms all the time with wacky schemes to force money or other concessions out of others.  Some lawyers take the challenge.  

I contend there's just too much uncertainty right now to make any decisions about touring this year.

Kids getting infections is one thing.

its an isolated incident.

That's not the case here.

Corona is a known problem.

That makes a corps,schools,etc. potentially a lot more liable if someone

tests positive for it. 

I wish I could go into more detail.

I can say that the lawyer I spoke to isn't "Jacoby and Meyers'.

Also, talked to an atty. who represents Boards of Educations.

He agreed,that this is a concern.

• Like 4

It wasn’t my demographic partying their ##### off in Chicago Saturday for St. Patrick’s Day, or on South Padre Island for spring break.  

I’m hunkered down in my house and so is Jim.  He has telecommuted for years.  Before it became “a thing”.  I’m having groceries delivered Friday (hat tip to @HockeyDad).  I told the daughter of the elderly man I take grocery shopping every week, that I don’t know if I’m one of the asymptomatic people so I suggested she order his groceries.  I certainly don’t want to make an 87 year old man with any number of health issues sick.

Beyond that,  I really don’t know what else we can do. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4

So anyone know what is going on with DCI and the corps regarding this mess? Conversations between the affected parties,etc?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

Generational rift WSJ article

Interesting article in Wall Street Journal about "so-what" attitude of a number of millennials and younger.

What's going to prolong this event is this type of thinking.  A friend made a FB post  & tagged a local journalist about a concert still scheduled for tonight at a large pub in our area.  A morning show just played video of several large gatherings as well as folks shoulder-to-shoulder on the beaches in Florida!  Insane   

• Like 1

There’s been a lot of talk regarding whether or not the season will or should be canceled. But what happens if a large percentage of the members themselves (or their parents) decide they (or their kids) will not participate  in drum corps this summer? A lot can change in just a couple days but what happens members decide to bail at the last minute, regardless of contracts? 

I wholeheartedly believe this will pass and eventually become a distant memory — story time for our grandkids and new additions to grade school history books. But as we live through this today, it would behoove us all to also consider the possibility that some kids or parents will decide to not participate in 2020 under the circumstances which could greatly impact the decisions that are being made and discussed right now. 

any thoughts?

• Like 4