Time for DCI to cancel season?

Social distancing makes riding a bus, rehearsing on a field, standing in the chow line and sleeping on a gym floor impossible

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Continental said:

Just wait until Hollywood studios start making movies about the coronavirus.

If they do, I hope they give Cher a leading role.  She's feisty.  She'll slap that coronavirus across it's face. 

They already have made such a movie.

Watched this the other night. I expected it to be like the the lo budget monster flicks but was surprised at how well it was done. The storyline was so close to current events, it could have been a documentary. If you're not too put off on the subject, I would recommend watching this movie.

All of this from a bat, a banana and a pig. It actually helped me realize how to not touch so many surfaces and how quickly this can spread.

Contagion (2011) - IMDb
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/

PG-13 |  1h 46min  | Action, Drama, Sci-Fi | 9 September 2011 (USA) Rating: 6.7/10

Healthcare professionals, government officials and everyday people find themselves in the midst of a pandemic as the CDC works to find a cure. 

Director: Steven Soderbergh 
Writer: Scott Z. Burns 
Stars: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law | See full cast & crew »

Studies indicate that 95% of people in Wuhan were not infected with COVID-19.

Because after badly mishandling the outbreak at first, the Chinese government then resorted to drastic measures to limit human interaction for two months.

Worth it, I think.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, this is interesting--an apparent connection between the virus's transmission and low absolute humidity, which means:

"If the proposed hypothesis is correct, all places where people gather (airports, malls, workplaces) should stop running AC immediately."

4 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

They already have made such a movie.

Watched this the other night. I expected it to be like the the lo budget monster flicks but was surprised at how well it was done. The storyline was so close to current events, it could have been a documentary. If you're not too put off on the subject, I would recommend watching this movie.

All of this from a bat, a banana and a pig. It actually helped me realize how to not touch so many surfaces and how quickly this can spread.

Contagion (2011) - IMDb
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/

PG-13 |  1h 46min  | Action, Drama, Sci-Fi | 9 September 2011 (USA) Rating: 6.7/10

Healthcare professionals, government officials and everyday people find themselves in the midst of a pandemic as the CDC works to find a cure. 

Director: Steven Soderbergh 
Writer: Scott Z. Burns 
Stars: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law | See full cast & crew »

I've seen most of this on TV a couple times, and I agree it's pretty good.

4 hours ago, DCVNVET said:

The current situation in Italy is something every single American citizen should research intensely. It's where we'll be in a few weeks' time if we don't continue to curb this. Italy's hospitals are entirely and utterly overwhelmed; most ICUs aren't taking any patients over 70, and people are dying every day because they can't receive proper medical care; not because Italy's healthcare system is poor or inferior, but because doctors simply can't get to everyone and those who are sick can't get into hospitals. For those who think this can't or won't happen here, Italy's healthcare system is consistently ranked, year after year, by the WHO as among the top 3 in the WORLD. Their hospitals are among the most technologically advanced in the world and they're sinking, hard. For comparison, we are generally ranked in the 30s in terms of health care quality year after year. Fun (and by fun I mean horrifying) fact: according to the OECD, the US's average hospital bed available per 1,000 U.S. citizens is 2.8 of them; Italy has been ahead of us with around 3.2 available per 1,000 citizens. Their hospitals are entirely overwhelmed and can't provide care to the number of patients who have contracted coronavirus. 

This is not a post about our healthcare system; it's more just to say that a lot of us have a tendency to think of Italy's failures as the result of an inferior system, when in all reality, they have the best-rated & best-performing healthcare systems and doctors year after year in the world, and they can't seem to handle this. I certainly don't mean to fear monger, I just think the situation in Italy is ridiculously sobering, and every U.S. citizen needs to do everything they can to stop the spread from getting to the point of Italy. Also, we should all be eyes-wide-open aware of what's going on over there right now. No one can claim ignorance or peddle in conspiracy theories at this point.

Edited by Jake W.
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jake W. said:

Also, we should all be eyes-wide-open aware of what's going on over there right now. No one can claim ignorance or peddle in conspiracy theories at this point.

Thanks for reaffirming the post Jake.  I posted it even knowing the possibility of it being bumped.  It is the most gut wrenching and concise account of the tragedy of a systemic crash I have read.  Hit very close to home because of my age and existing conditions.  We are 10 days behind Italy and have so many more people to consider.  Be very, very careful out there!        

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I think people in Italy may be older than here, for what that’s worth.

...because their healthcare is vastly considered superior to ours. So people live longer. But, yes, more older people skews the data for coronavirus.

On the other hand, Americans are obese at a rate of about 4 times more than Italians, so there's that trade off of respiratory side effects vs. the elderly. 

Edited by Jake W.
  • Thanks 1