Time for DCI to cancel season?

13 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I think people in Italy may be older than here, for what that’s worth.

That's indicated in the post!  Also indicated is the 40 yr. old dispatcher who never had contact with the EMT's an died from COVID-19

2 hours ago, Jake W. said:

The current situation in Italy is something every single American citizen should research intensely. It's where we'll be in a few weeks' time if we don't continue to curb this. Italy's hospitals are entirely and utterly overwhelmed; most ICUs aren't taking any patients over 70, and people are dying every day because they can't receive proper medical care; not because Italy's healthcare system is poor or inferior, but because doctors simply can't get to everyone and those who are sick can't get into hospitals. For those who think this can't or won't happen here, Italy's healthcare system is consistently ranked, year after year, by the WHO as among the top 3 in the WORLD. Their hospitals are among the most technologically advanced in the world and they're sinking, hard. For comparison, we are generally ranked in the 30s in terms of health care quality year after year. Fun (and by fun I mean horrifying) fact: according to the OECD, the US's average hospital bed available per 1,000 U.S. citizens is 2.8 of them; Italy has been ahead of us with around 3.2 available per 1,000 citizens. Their hospitals are entirely overwhelmed and can't provide care to the number of patients who have contracted coronavirus. 

This is not a post about our healthcare system; it's more just to say that a lot of us have a tendency to think of Italy's failures as the result of an inferior system, when in all reality, they have the best-rated & best-performing healthcare systems and doctors year after year in the world, and they can't seem to handle this. I certainly don't mean to fear monger, I just think the situation in Italy is ridiculously sobering, and every U.S. citizen needs to do everything they can to stop the spread from getting to the point of Italy. Also, we should all be eyes-wide-open aware of what's going on over there right now. No one can claim ignorance or peddle in conspiracy theories at this point.

Socialized health care.  "Single payer".

Nuff said.  We're not Italy or Europe and I don't want to be like them.  

They are not our model.  They are not our necessary outcome.

I love pasta.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

...because their healthcare is vastly considered superior to ours. So people live longer. But, yes, more older people skews the data for coronavirus.

On the other hand, Americans are obese at a rate of about 4 times more than Italians, so there's that trade off of respiratory side effects vs. the elderly. 

WTH?  Source your citations, please, or stipulate this as your opinion.  And did you mean "...vastly considered..." or "...considered vastly..."?

Yes!  Everyone!  Eat more pasta and olive oil!  Garlic!  Garlic kills everything and forces social separation!

The "Mediterranean Diet" has kept Italians and other regionals relatively healthy for decades longer than their socialized medicine has been in place.  I have very good friends in several areas of Italy from the north to Rome to Foggia and, almost universally, they deride their health care system.  Naturally, of course, it's lauded by the uninformed as progressive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, one of my friends called me late last night.  He & his co-worker are quarantined working from home for the next two weeks.  They had a meeting at their bank's corporate headquarters with a compliance officer out of NY who started feeling bad while at their bank.  When he returned to NY, he tested positive for COVID-19.  The guy traveled from Laguardia to ATL.  That's how this thing spreads like wildfire.  So far, my friend & his co-worker are feeling OK, caching for symptoms, monitoring temperature, etc.  

But, they called their primary physician and they could not be tested until they check off all the required symptoms.  Doctor told them there simply weren't enough test for the need in our area.  Face the music: our country was not prepared for a pandemic event.  (Not a political statement, but I approved the statement.)    

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Well, one of my friends called me late last night.  He & his co-worker are quarantined working from home for the next two weeks.  They had a meeting at their bank's corporate headquarters with a compliance officer out of NY who started feeling bad while at their bank.  When he returned to NY, he tested positive for COVID-19.  The guy traveled from Laguardia to ATL.  That's how this thing spreads like wildfire.  So far, my friend & his co-worker are feeling OK, caching for symptoms, monitoring temperature, etc.  

But, they called their primary physician and they could not be tested until they check off all the required symptoms.  Doctor told them there simply weren't enough test for the need in our area.  Face the music: our country was not prepared for a pandemic event.  (Not a political statement, but I approved the statement.)    

OMG, please stop with the drama.  Think this through.  We've data and experience that shows there are commonalities in symptoms.  My assistant went through the process yesterday because her Doc would not see her for her runny nose and 99.5 fever until she was screened.  (She and her young teen and toddler are a petri dish that catches everything in 500 miles.)  She was screened by the Covid screening team who asked questions and declared she did not have three of four common identified symptoms.

Why provide a test?  If you judge it worthy to test EVERY citizen, you do realize how many that is?  Is it reasonable to presume we should have that many test kits on hand all the time for every potential?

I think you're over-reacting.  "Face the music"?  OMG, as if there's not enough drama in life. Please don't create your own to share.  EDIT to add: "Facing the music" is harder when listening to show rep announcements here.  (<-- I like that particular snark a lot for humor.)

And WHAT does your RED RANT say about the topic of this thread?  Based on your comments, the season is doomed, DCI is dead and, likely many corps will fold as well.

My opinion (<--- get that?) is that drum corps need to approach their steps this season with exactly the opposite approach you're taking.  Throwing gas and burning everything down before the invaders arrive is not rational thought to me.

I want to be here for you, drum corps fan friend, but first you have to want to back away from the LOS 500-level railing and just enjoy a mustard pretzel like it's your last. 

Nothing that DCI does now will change the course of events ahead.  You're vaticinating that you do know the outcome.  I trust that, if it's THAT obvious, the directors will reach the same conclusion (<-- a little snark).  And, while your munching on that pretzel, please prognosticate your vision on where the yield on the two-year Treasury note will be this time next week.  That would be really helpful, and thanks in advance (<-- a little capitalist-pig snark).

I include plenty of levity, snark, and my reality.  I do not mean to insult or pizz you or anyone off.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nevermind... thought this went into a political based area but now see that was not quite the case

Edited by JimF-LowBari

55 minutes ago, garfield said:

OMG, please stop with the drama.  Think this through.  We've data and experience that shows there are commonalities in symptoms.  My assistant went through the process yesterday because her Doc would not see her for her runny nose and 99.5 fever until she was screened.  (She and her young teen and toddler are a petri dish that catches everything in 500 miles.)  She was screened by the Covid screening team who asked questions and declared she did not have three of four common identified symptoms.

Why provide a test?  If you judge it worthy to test EVERY citizen, you do realize how many that is?  Is it reasonable to presume we should have that many test kits on hand all the time for every potential?

I think you're over-reacting. 

You seem to have answers for most concerns.  Maybe you can help with mine:

So we are increasingly retreating into our caves.  In fact, we are increasingly being ordered to do so.  Governments on all levels are banning groups of more than 1000 500 100 50 10 4 from assembling, and suggesting this continue for the next two weeks four weeks eight weeks 18 months.  Businesses are being ordered to shut down.  "Shelter-in-place" will be the new trend.  Ostensibly, this is all to slow the spread of the virus and give ourselves time to create more ICU capacity.  So how will we decide when it is safe to come out of our caves?

I posited the thought that testing everyone who wants a test would establish good enough baseline data so that, moving forward from there, subsequent testing would be a proper reflection of "new cases", rather than just "newly reported cases".  Is there a different answer out there that I am unaware of?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Socialized health care.  "Single payer".

Nuff said.  We're not Italy or Europe and I don't want to be like them.  

They are not our model.  They are not our necessary outcome.

I love pasta.

You realize Italy has more medical resources like ICU beds and breathing assistance devices per capita than the US, right? Overwhelming a healthcare system has nothing to do with having single payer coverage or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

59 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

You realize Italy has more medical resources like ICU beds and breathing assistance devices per capita than the US, right? Overwhelming a healthcare system has nothing to do with having single payer coverage or not. 

Actually, it does.  A robust private-sector industry provides many more resources which can potentially be mobilized in response to a crisis like this one.

2 hours ago, garfield said:

I think you're over-reacting.  "Face the music"?  OMG, as if there's not enough drama in life. Please don't create your own to share.  EDIT to add: "Facing the music" is harder when listening to show rep announcements here.  (<-- I like that particular snark a lot for humor.)

And WHAT does your RED RANT say about the topic of this thread?  Based on your comments, the season is doomed, DCI is dead and, likely many corps will fold as well.

My opinion (<--- get that?) is that drum corps need to approach their steps this season with exactly the opposite approach you're taking.  Throwing gas and burning everything down before the invaders arrive is not rational thought to me.

I want to be here for you, drum corps fan friend, but first you have to want to back away from the LOS 500-level railing and just enjoy a mustard pretzel like it's your last. 

Nothing that DCI does now will change the course of events ahead.  You're vaticinating that you do know the outcome.  I trust that, if it's THAT obvious, the directors will reach the same conclusion (<-- a little snark).  And, while your munching on that pretzel, please prognosticate your vision on where the yield on the two-year Treasury note will be this time next week.  That would be really helpful, and thanks in advance (<-- a little capitalist-pig snark).

I include plenty of levity, snark, and my reality.  I do not mean to insult or pizz you or anyone off.

Wow; as they say, "it is what it is".  (Blue much more calming)  Not trying to be overly dramatic, just trying to be real.  A close friend is now quarantined from his bank job working from home & can't be tested until he checks every symptom box.  It just hit home last night.  After some 35+ years in education, our senior class may not be able to graduate.  It's just surreal to me & I also worry about our parents with their multiple health conditions.  We've encouraged them to quarantine in place but one of them is stubborn & thinks this is all a "hoax".  

Also, I love computers, desk top publishing, arranging with Sibelius & Finale (Finale not so much), Excel, Power Point, & designing concert posters, etc.  (Also walks in the park, ice cream, kittens, & puppies.)  Bottom line because I'm a "bottom line guy".  This is serious.  As some say "In God We Trust; All Others Bring Data".  (Sometimes the data thing is not great for education; sometimes it is valuable.)  Triggered much?  (Not trying to "#### " anyone off.) 

Love 'use' guys & look forward to meeting some of y'all this summer.  (Praying this summer)  But if not, I'll enjoy my $1000 check, that they'll probably take 25-35% for taxes, & I'll see y'all at the 2021 tour!      

Edited by keystone3ply
addition