Time for DCI to cancel season?

4 hours ago, garfield said:

WTH?  Source your citations, please, or stipulate this as your opinion.  And did you mean "...vastly considered..." or "...considered vastly..."?

Absolutely not my opinion, and I did mean vastly considered as I typed it; i.e., by most metrics, Italy's healthcare system is considered superior to ours. The WHO ranks them at 2nd to our 37th, and the OECD has Italy ahead of us in population coverage, lower expenditure per person, higher nurses per capita, beds per capita, life expectancy, lower infant mortality rates, cancer incidence, number of adults with diabetes, obesity rates, and higher access to health care (we have a much higher rate of consultations skipped due to cost, prescribed medicines skipped due to cost, out of pocket medical expenses, and a lower rate of physician density per capita, number of pharmacists per capita, and number of doctor consultations per person), among many other metrics that I didn't include because they're not directly related to hospitals, which is what this conversation is about. All of this can be found in the OECD's "Health at a Glance" book they publish online every year. To be fair, the U.S. leads Italy in some categories, like cancer survival rates and doctor pay, but Italy wins the aggregate by far.

Again, I don't intend for this to be a referendum on our health care system --- I'm circling back again to the point that Italy is facing a humanitarian crisis with a hospital system overwhelmed by the sweep of the coronavirus, and we are consistently about two weeks behind them in this pandemic, with what seems to be a less-prepared healthcare system. Every single American citizen needs to be paying attention to what is happening in Italy right now, which was the point of the post I quoted & echoed.

• Thanks 2

Here's what may drive DCI to finally cancel the season:  Bingo halls are closing.  That's not facetious, it's completely serious.   Bingo is still a major money maker for a few organizations, and you can imagine that it will be a couple of months at least before they can open again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, troopers1 said:

Here's what may drive DCI to finally cancel the season:  Bingo halls are closing.  That's not facetious, it's completely serious.   Bingo is still a major money maker for a few organizations, and you can imagine that it will be a couple of months at least before they can open again.

To wit:  

https://www.bluedevils.org/bingo/

https://www.troopersbingo.com/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

I think she keeps them in a jar on her mantle.

i thought she had them enhanced with science

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

OMG, please stop with the drama.  Think this through.  We've data and experience that shows there are commonalities in symptoms.  My assistant went through the process yesterday because her Doc would not see her for her runny nose and 99.5 fever until she was screened.  (She and her young teen and toddler are a petri dish that catches everything in 500 miles.)  She was screened by the Covid screening team who asked questions and declared she did not have three of four common identified symptoms.

Why provide a test?  If you judge it worthy to test EVERY citizen, you do realize how many that is?  Is it reasonable to presume we should have that many test kits on hand all the time for every potential?

I think you're over-reacting.  "Face the music"?  OMG, as if there's not enough drama in life. Please don't create your own to share.  EDIT to add: "Facing the music" is harder when listening to show rep announcements here.  (<-- I like that particular snark a lot for humor.)

And WHAT does your RED RANT say about the topic of this thread?  Based on your comments, the season is doomed, DCI is dead and, likely many corps will fold as well.

My opinion (<--- get that?) is that drum corps need to approach their steps this season with exactly the opposite approach you're taking.  Throwing gas and burning everything down before the invaders arrive is not rational thought to me.

I want to be here for you, drum corps fan friend, but first you have to want to back away from the LOS 500-level railing and just enjoy a mustard pretzel like it's your last. 

Nothing that DCI does now will change the course of events ahead.  You're vaticinating that you do know the outcome.  I trust that, if it's THAT obvious, the directors will reach the same conclusion (<-- a little snark).  And, while your munching on that pretzel, please prognosticate your vision on where the yield on the two-year Treasury note will be this time next week.  That would be really helpful, and thanks in advance (<-- a little capitalist-pig snark).

I include plenty of levity, snark, and my reality.  I do not mean to insult or pizz you or anyone off.

i see you're taking the Ivan Drago approach hard core

"if he dies, he dies"

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Actually, it does.  A robust private-sector industry provides many more resources which can potentially be mobilized in response to a crisis like this one.

right, we just dicked around mobilizing it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Actually, it does.  A robust private-sector industry provides many more resources which can potentially be mobilized in response to a crisis like this one.

If one can afford it.   Many are not treated or evaluated because of the cost - lost time on job and medical bills. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

If one can afford it.   Many are not treated or evaluated because of the cost - lost time on job and medical bills. 

Are you back from Spain and if so do you have any observations to share.

8 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Have relatives in WV and yesterday it became the last state to report a case. Forgot the exact number but entire state had tested roughly only 150 people. Know there are a lot of remote areas (drive thru plenty to see the family) but would not be surprised of pockets that have not been checked for whatever reason. So add availability of health care resources

Edited by JimF-LowBari