Time for DCI to cancel season?

25 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

Are you back from Spain and if so do you have any observations to share.

Still in Spain on the Costa del Sol.  Just went to the grocery store, where we only allowed to access the store solo.  Social distancing is enforced here in the store and other public places.  There is no panic, no run on groceries, toilet paper etc..  Nothing is in short supply, including the excellent wine.

Of course all restaurants, bars etc are closed and we are pretty well confined to our our homes etc, except to shop for pharmaceuticals, food or to go to work.   If one feels any symptoms, one calls a number and people are dispatched to your domicile to sample.   Authorities don't want people going to clinics and hospitals simply because they have some symptoms.  Of course all of this relative calm and order is partially due to the excellent health care system in Spain which allows coordinated care with no cost to those who need it.  If ever I needed the care, I would be treated and the cost would be born by my health care system in Canada.

Just waiting, in my rented condo for my flight back to Canada soonest, where I will put myself in 14 -day quarantine upon arrival.

Edited by Bob P.
Added info.
  • Thanks 4

One other thing that could make cancellation of the season happen is that events scheduled for now may be postponed and rescheduled for dates during the tour. I know my theater group and my Audubon chapter have rescheduled events to times that I had planned on volunteering with a corps on the road. I have to make a choice which I will do now and the other events I am a commitee member and an important cog in making it happen, Drum Corps I am just a worker Bee. I can imagine some groups will try to have a prom mid summer before the kids all go off to college, maybe some postponed graduations.  Also my experience is that a large portion of the volunteers with the long established corps tend to be older falling into the high risk catagory for Covid-19,  While MMs are in good shape and at someone low risk of becoming critically Ill and may be able to spend a summer on a bus and sharing a gym floor these long serving volunteers might not be able to work on a tour while there is still any possiblity of the virus being there.  It takes a hug volunteer effort to get a corps on the road.

My Theater Company had to cancel its last 2 shows of the season plus the last week of our current productions. We had already brought in Actors for out next production, leased housing for them and they spent over a week rehearsing. Now we have to eat those costs and lose probably 300k in revenue that the shows would have made. If DCI waits for more camps to happen they could get to a point where it would be too late to cancel bus contracts, kids might not be able to refund their plane tickets , bulk food purchases nwould have to be disposed of.  By cancelling earlier they could save a lot of money and a lot of stress on the MM and the staff.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Daave said:

Two ends of the DCI food chain in more ways than one.

True that.  But both get a big chunk of their budget from Bingo.

10 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Just waiting, in my rented condo for my flight back to Canada soonest, where I will put myself in 14 -day quarantine upon arrival.

Thanks for the update, sounds like everything is under control and Spain has instituted sound policies. Have a Canadian snowbird who lives across the street from me.  Almost time for her to head back to Vancouver, BC.  Interesting on the insurance interface.  Best wishes and have a safe trip home.   

With employment and investments taking a hit thinking of how it affects members this season and next. Saving up for corps and college and ability of families to help pay will probably be affected. Thinking of some Sr corps that tanked in the 80s when economy went bad and members dropped out due to work issues.

I have a great amount of respect for the young adults who perform in DCI corps. These are the ‘best of the best’ our youngest generation has to offer our nation. Incredible leadership qualities, highly organized, with a determined work ethic. Winners.

Along with these qualities, I am confident our performers will make the most responsible decision about how best to spend the next few months. Some families will need their attention and assistance during the coming weeks, possibly months.

These are our heroes. They got this!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

Thanks for the update, sounds like everything is under control and Spain has instituted sound policies. Have a Canadian snowbird who lives across the street from me.  Almost time for her to head back to Vancouver, BC.  Interesting on the insurance interface.  Best wishes and have a safe trip home.   

Thanks for the good wishes.   

You will notice that I talk about a Health Care system, NOT an Health care Insurance.  The distinction is more than semantics and more than subtle.  It is a mind set and way of thinking when it comes to Health Care.  

• Like 2

Yesterday ,Rutgers cancelled commencement.

That was scheduled for mid/late May.

This follows their previous cancellation of allowing outside groups access to their facilities 

this Spring.

They postponed the Kentucky Derby,Preakness and French Open till the fall.

Baseball will be begin,at best,mid/late May.

As has been posted before,schools are closed.

In some cases ,for the rest of the Spring .

Does anyone think they will be reopened before  fall ?

We keep hearing that "things will get worse, before they get better".

Everyday the list of things being cancelled/postponed,extends further

out into the Spring/Summer.

Does DCI have some type of crystal ball that says  that the situation will improve enough in the next  few weeks,

to salvage the 2020 season ?

Right now,there doesn't seem to be any indication of a "light at the end of the tunnel" .

Given that,as much as I was looking  forward to drum corps this summer,I think it may be time to "give up the ghost".

Edited by rpbobcat

1 hour ago, troopers1 said:

OK, it may very well happen.

It's a 6 - 8 week time out.

Relax, keep everyone safe and it can be assessed at a later date how and whether to proceed.