Time for DCI to cancel season?

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You seem to have answers for most concerns.  Maybe you can help with mine:

So we are increasingly retreating into our caves.  In fact, we are increasingly being ordered to do so.  Governments on all levels are banning groups of more than 1000 500 100 50 10 4 from assembling, and suggesting this continue for the next two weeks four weeks eight weeks 18 months.  Businesses are being ordered to shut down.  "Shelter-in-place" will be the new trend.  Ostensibly, this is all to slow the spread of the virus and give ourselves time to create more ICU capacity.  So how will we decide when it is safe to come out of our caves?

I posited the thought that testing everyone who wants a test would establish good enough baseline data so that, moving forward from there, subsequent testing would be a proper reflection of "new cases", rather than just "newly reported cases".  Is there a different answer out there that I am unaware of?

Just call me Carnac the Magnificent ($1 to Johnny).

Wouldn't EVERYONE (sorry for the reference to She-who-will- not... oh, the heck with it) want the test?

And why do we need a baseline?  I'm hearing that we already know well in advance what the damage will be, so why bother? (/sarcasm)

I suppose we'll know when to come out of our caves when we're told to because we're free and have liberty, apparently. (/sarcasm)

Starbucks announced a stock buyback today.

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You seem to have answers for most concerns.  Maybe you can help with mine:

So we are increasingly retreating into our caves.  In fact, we are increasingly being ordered to do so.  Governments on all levels are banning groups of more than 1000 500 100 50 10 4 from assembling, and suggesting this continue for the next two weeks four weeks eight weeks 18 months.  Businesses are being ordered to shut down.  "Shelter-in-place" will be the new trend.  Ostensibly, this is all to slow the spread of the virus and give ourselves time to create more ICU capacity.  So how will we decide when it is safe to come out of our caves?

I posited the thought that testing everyone who wants a test would establish good enough baseline data so that, moving forward from there, subsequent testing would be a proper reflection of "new cases", rather than just "newly reported cases".  Is there a different answer out there that I am unaware of?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/how-long-will-the-coronavirus-shutdown-last.html

30 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I have a great amount of respect for the young adults who perform in DCI corps. These are the ‘best of the best’ our youngest generation has to offer our nation. Incredible leadership qualities, highly organized, with a determined work ethic. Winners.

Along with these qualities, I am confident our performers will make the most responsible decision about how best to spend the next few months. Some families will need their attention and assistance during the coming weeks, possibly months.

These are our heroes. They got this!

A season of winners and heroes

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Could you not make every post entirely in bold, then?

NO

• Haha 1

I like Big Bold And Brassy which reminds me of an Enoch Light album called: Enoch Light And The Light Brigade  ‎– Big Bold And Brassy Percussion In Brass

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, garfield said:

OMG, please stop with the drama.  Think this through.  We've data and experience that shows there are commonalities in symptoms.  My assistant went through the process yesterday because her Doc would not see her for her runny nose and 99.5 fever until she was screened.  (She and her young teen and toddler are a petri dish that catches everything in 500 miles.)  She was screened by the Covid screening team who asked questions and declared she did not have three of four common identified symptoms.

Why provide a test?  If you judge it worthy to test EVERY citizen, you do realize how many that is?  Is it reasonable to presume we should have that many test kits on hand all the time for every potential?

"How one small town at the center of the outbreak [in Italy] has cut infections virtually to zero: test all 3,300 in town, isolate the 3 percent who tested positive. Infection rate 10 days later down to 0.3 percent."

https://www.ft.com/content/0dba7ea8-6713-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

Do that on a massive scale. Save lives.

• Thanks 3

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

"How one small town at the center of the outbreak [in Italy] has cut infections virtually to zero: test all 3,300 in town, isolate the 3 percent who tested positive. Infection rate 10 days later down to 0.3 percent."

https://www.ft.com/content/0dba7ea8-6713-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

Do that on a massive scale. Save lives.

How are they producing all the test kits and why can’t we?