Time for DCI to cancel season?

31 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

Per Government Plan (100 pages) for policymakers the pandemic could be an 18 month (Trump referenced today) affair with multiple waves.  Possible shortages and health care short comings addressed.  Would post link for plan , but although the plan heading states unclassified  it also states not for public distribution.  Wrong time to go to the slammer.   Unfortunately just don't see the tour happening this year.  I'm vested also in tickets and donations for 2020.  Phoenix and San Antonio, was looking forward to it.

Is this the Imperial College plan (I'd appreciate a source of your Government Plan)?

THIS is a competing view.  Taleb is the author of Black Swan and Fooled by Randomness.  Two books that directly relate to stock market crashes and pandemics.

If you're serious about understanding just how wrong you can be, you should read Fooled today.  (Think Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, letting water roll off Laura Dern's hand.  Randomness.)

Edited by garfield

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I keep mumbling learn from this for the future.... but humans have such a short memory and ##### history.... 

#1 lesson should be we ain’t that different from the rest of the world. If crap hits there it probably ain’t gonna skip us because we’re ‘merica so get ready to change things. Slight soapbox moment as think a PA county doesn’t have any reported cases because lot of people there are the “this only affects other people” crowd. Hint on county: one lawmaker wants to overturn the guvs emergency declaration. 😖

Well, we have a high percentage of the country that has already forgotten about 9-11 and most younger ones have to be told about it, because many history books have been sanitized about the truth on various historical moments.  Since the USAF provided me with 39 months in Deutschland in the mid 60's, I've always wondered how the USA would have handled a WWII type situation that most of Europe had to go through.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

If you're serious about understanding just how wrong you can be,

In-#######-believable.....

think I’ll stop posting here for a while until things calm down...:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Well, we have a high percentage of the country that has already forgotten about 9-11 and most younger ones have to be told about it, because many history books have been sanitized about the truth on various historical moments.  Since the USAF provided me with 39 months in Deutschland in the mid 60's, I've always wondered how the USA would have handled a WWII type situation that most of Europe had to go through.

Well I’ll respond since this came up as I was typing..... I was thinking 9/11 but more along the lines of how short that “we’re all in it together” lasted until finger pointing started. And I’m a big history buff and just amazed how many years it took Europe and UK to go back to any sense of normal. Not to mention the Berlin blockade and the shortages they dealt with 

edit: gave DCVNVET a thank you for following For Official Use Only guidelines. (I worked DoD as civilian)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is this the Imperial College plan (I'd appreciate a source of your Government Plan)?

THIS is a competing view.  Taleb is the author of Black Swan and Fooled by Randomness.  Two books that directly relate to stock market crashes and pandemics.

If you're serious about understanding just how wrong you can be, you should read Fooled today.  (Think Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, letting water roll off Laura Dern's hand.  Randomness.)

I looked at that one also.  I read "The Plan" less  all the Bureaucratic mumbo jumbo and didn't download.  Tried to revisit it and the previous link which was just "The Plan" highlighted in a paragraph was gone!  This is the best I can do on the rebound!    https://www.businessinsider.com/us-coronavirus-warning-pandemic-will-last-18-months-multiple-waves-2020-3  Headed out to the lake shortly, hopefully will beat the rain.  Wind is picking up and any lure will probably be in Las Cruces, NM  on the first flick.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, garfield said:

Type in: U..S. Government COVID - 19 Response Plan you will get the PDF. 

Edited by DCVNVET
Add U.S.

1 hour ago, DCVNVET said:

Per Government Plan (100 pages) for policymakers the pandemic could be an 18 month (Trump referenced today) affair with multiple waves.  Possible shortages and health care short comings addressed.  Would post link for plan , but although the plan heading states unclassified  it also states not for public distribution.  Wrong time to go to the slammer.   Unfortunately just don't see the tour happening this year.  I'm vested also in tickets and donations for 2020.  Phoenix and San Antonio, was looking forward to it.

If we are really looking at 18 months then there will be way bigger problems than a DCI season getting cancelled.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Haven't been keeping up with the back and forth here, but I think the question the Corps need to be asking themselves and each other - then providing the answer to DCI - is simple:

How much risk are they willing to take? Because there is, inherently, the very real risk that someone in some corps will end up testing positive over the course of the summer, after they'll have spread the virus to others in their proximity. That's the big question. 

But here's the thing; even if DCI and the corps used the best science to say the risk is manageable, and then went ahead, and the summer went off without a hitch, the story will still be 'look at those stupid marching bands, putting their kids at risk that way." 

It's a no win situation.  

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, skevinp said:

How are they producing all the test kits and why can’t we?

That remains something of a mystery. What we know is that the tests made by the CDC were faulty. And also that the CDC forbade other labs from doing their own testing. Maybe someday someone in that office will be sued.

• Like 2