Time for DCI to cancel season?

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That remains something of a mystery. What we know is that the tests made by the CDC were faulty. And also that the CDC forbade other labs from doing their own testing. Maybe someday someone in that office will be sued.

Some of the big lessons learned that need to be fixed for the future. The govt wants to open up production of needed resources to private industry and needs to be done with this. Few days ago saw my doctors Alma mater (not saying name) was coming up with their own test but that story has been buried by events of the last few days.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Some of the big lessons learned that need to be fixed for the future. The govt wants to open up production of needed resources to private industry and needs to be done with this. Few days ago saw my doctors Alma mater (not saying name) was coming up with their own test but that story has been buried by events of the last few days.

In the past few weeks, several different hospitals and universities have developed their own tests, received CDC approval to use them, and are doing so. One is the Cleveland Clinic; I believe Johns Hopkins was among the others. But in Washington state, where U.S. conditions were most dire, the CDC told doctors to stand down. (Some of them found a workaround by testing under the heading of "research", I believe.) Not sure about the reasoning, and I don't know how much blame should be laid at the feet of Dr. Robert Redfeld, who has led that agency for more than two years. (There was a lot of turnaround in that position before he came on board: three directors in one year, as compared to twelve in the agency's first 75 years, so he may have had his hands full cleaning up others' messes.) Someday the true story will be known, I imagine. Right now, I'm not sure it matters that much. We need vastly increased testing much more than we need arguing about why there were too few tests for so long -- unless the original reason is still causing problems.

(Edit: there's some more about what happened at the CDC here: What Went Wrong.)

- - - - - - - - - -

In other COVID19 reading, this article is pretty interesting:

"This is not the bat's fault": A disease expert explains where the coronavirus likely came from.

Something I had forgotten: measles was originally a cattle disease called "rinderpest" that jumped to humans in the 11th century.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also this may be useful to share with people who still won't wash their hands:

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Thanks 1

Thanks the what went wrong link is perfect example of thinking that needs to be changed for the future. Appears to be too much “prove to me there is a problem before acting” instead of “something hitting somewhere else so we better prepare beforehand in case it hits here”. 
I worked IT for DoD and saw plenty of thing go down the toilet. Last thing you want to do is waste time with blame game. You try to resolve the problem ASAP. Then afterwards take time to find out what happened and mainly how not to have it repeat.

And just googled, I was referring to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Latest I see they have developed a test and will be using it in house. Good timing as SW PA one of the areas with a concentration of cases

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

Mea Cupla if this has been posted, but even if there is some type of season, what are the chances some parents nix their child from marching?  "Let's wait another year, OK?"

Edited by Ghost

8 hours ago, garfield said:

You're flying awfully close the the flame, Mr. "No Politics".

Travel from China was shut down on Jan 31.

not just a shot at politicians my friend. that also includes the health care industry. face it, no one here took it seriously until "oh #### we're all gonna die" mentality kicked in last week. Fauci himself said in Congressional hearings we were woefully under prepared as a nation. and he blamed pretty much, well, everyone, government and non government.

so nowhere near the flame, Mr Moth looking for one to fly into

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I'm dubious. Members who got their contracts in January have had only 2 months' worth of payments so far. I'd like to see data on this before I agree. 

No. The bus leases -- a huge chunk of the budget -- have not yet been paid. The food -- another massive slice of the pie -- has not been bought. The instructor wages --- which are not paid in advance, but during the season -- have not yet been paid. The instructor travel costs -- flights in and out of various cities along the tour route through the summer -- have not yet been purchased. Have corps incurred some expenses related to the 2020 tour? Of course, but nowhere near the bulk of the planned expense budget.

That said, "cash-strapped" and "drum and bugle corps" are nearly synonymous terms anyway. They are almost never flush with cash -- not for very long.

No, I don't think parents/member would "sit by;" nor did I indicate they would. Audition fees and other charges related to camps that already have been concluded would/should not be refunded, but every corps would refund 100% of tuition if the summer tour is cancelled.

There are contracts, and there are contracts. DCI corps membership contracts are not those kind of contracts. For one thing, (those that I have seen) are not signed by anyone representing the corps. They are, at most, a terms-and-conditions agreement signed by the customer -- the marching member, some of whom aren't old enough to make legal commitments anyway. And in most states, the amount of tuition at stake for any individual is firmly in small-claims-court territory, not the kind of venue where tort lawyers battle it out in front of a jury over contract terms.

But as I said, corps would make full refunds of tuition if the season is outright cancelled full stop. Corps have policies that spell out their refund terms, and of course at some point in the season no refunds will be made. But these terms apply under normal operating conditions, and 2020 doesn't look like "normal operating conditions" will be the applicable term.

the smart ones should have some type of insurance to protect them in the event of a cancellation

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If we are really looking at 18 months then there will be way bigger problems than a DCI season getting cancelled.  

yup

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the smart ones should have some type of insurance to protect them in the event of a cancellation

I don't believe any insurance covers any losses due to "Virus". I literally spoke to a friend today who is an insurance agent AND a retired corps director and this is what he told me when I asked.

Well!  Isn't that something!

A full week after first considering self-immolation... oh, sorry, self-isolation for fear that this thing is going to kill tens-of-millions, and, at the same time saying to the public "Only old people are at risk" and, then, being completely surprised at the stupidity of young people for showing up to party on the beaches (I didn't recognize any "old people" in the photos circulating), I'll be darned!

This morning comes the realization that, oops, there was a mistake and, so sorry, young people are the CARRIERS actually killing their parents (see Bill Ackman, yesterday, CNBC)! 

Suddenly...

...the beaches are clear.

"So sorry!  Go home!"

Now, these kids' parents are more to blame if they're paying a nickel of their kids' education costs, and the students paying their own way are equally culpable for exhibiting bad behavior and decision-making.  If I were a drum corps, I'd demand evidence of where a kid spent spring break before I'd let them into camp next time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

not just a shot at politicians my friend. that also includes the health care industry. face it, no one here took it seriously until "oh #### we're all gonna die" mentality kicked in last week. Fauci himself said in Congressional hearings we were woefully under prepared as a nation. and he blamed pretty much, well, everyone, government and non government.

so nowhere near the flame, Mr Moth looking for one to fly into

You are wrong.