Time for DCI to cancel season?

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No foul on your part.  You must be blessed with better local news than anywhere I have resided.

Ok I read snark where it was not intended so my bad...

Local area has 5 stations that have been around for decades and each is aligned with a different network. Almost all of them take a lot of pride in the news departments and from I can tell try to present things as middle of the road as they can. Yeah they slip up and usually they hear about it lol. Also helps that the area runs the gamut from opinions to rural/urban living. I can drive 10 minutes and be in an urban slum area and 20 minutes another way be out in farmland. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 hours ago, TwoValves said:

Or about 40% less than one year of deaths from alcohol?   Can we campletely ban that, please, because too many people are dying.  

That’s crazy talk!

Signed,

The Tavern League Of Wisconsin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dans said:

wouldn't be as painful as reading the nytimes

right now all forms of media are painful. stupidity knows no political bias

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

right now all forms of media are painful. stupidity knows no political bias

I think it was Ted Koppel  who said to a very popular Opinion host ( sadly ) that they and what they did was dangerous. THIS which claims to be news daily is far more dangerous than traditional news outlets. Mistakes by some , YES of course, intentionally politically supporting? quite another thing. This virus has NO POLITICAL preference.

DCI..it's time

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe if responsible journalism were a possibility, that could be achieved.  (I know, another sentence that became moot halfway through.)

And no, this is not even a political reference.  The nature of contemporary news is sensationalism at the expense of informing.  "2.2 million Americans will reportedly die!  More after the commercial break."  And in the single minute they finally spend expanding on the story, maybe they mention that would only happen "if we did nothing".  Or maybe they leave that detail out.

Excessive fear-mongering leads to misunderstandings like the paradox to which you allude.

You know where 2.2 million comes from right?  675,000 deaths in the 1918/19 flu pandemic. The population is now 3x larger. (3)(675,000) = 2.2 million. 
And not to be the downer guy - this is not the, if no actions are taken, estimate. Because similar social distancing etc. actions were actually taken back then. So - this is a perfectly logical estimate. Now, will it turns out that this virus will have the same mortality rate as that virus?  Will it turn out that a similar number of people will get infected (1/3 of the population)?  Will it turn out that there is similarly no treatment?  I hope not - fingers are crossed on that malaria drug. It sounds promising. 
But, anyway, that’s where the number comes from. If it strikes fear in you, that doesn’t mean it’s fear mongering. Not this case. There is, I agree, plenty of other fear mongering going on out there. Along with other ridiculousness. 

• Thanks 1

This has gone so far off the rails...iClose. 

• Sad 1