Time for DCI to cancel season?

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Or invited.  Or a corps director or a member of DCI staff.  Or a BoD member or a corps board member.

All of whom are asked at the beginning of every meeting to maintain confidentiality and to let DCI coordinate the messaging for the whole activity.

But your mileage may vary.

Yes, but not in reality.   You must remember that stakeholders also involve the parents, grand parents, great grand parents, aunts, uncles, siblings, school teachers, Sunday school teachers, financial sponsors, etc of students all want to know about "Little Johnny" and his summer band.  😂 (That was tongue meet cheek - do you under stand that phrase?)  The only item that they come close to keeping "Classified" is their repertoire & some past sexual predators.  Now, please excuse me while I go check my 401k portfolio & purchase some Commodore 64 stock.  (You know, MOS Tech?)          

• Thanks 1

word leaks. always does

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Seriously guys I have friends who work in the service sector and are not working and no income. They are very scared. One has a catering co and him and his wife had to layoff all of his staff because there is no work. He's going to Safeway today to see if they are hiring because that was in the news this morning. He'll take anything. It's serious. 

We go out for dinner every Saturday night.  I’m going to utilize grub hub or Uber eats (even though one reporter acted as if seniors are far too stupid to navigate the interNUT. Nice bit of ageism, there).  Also, if you can do this, add a sizable tip to the restaurant for the staff. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We go out for dinner every Saturday night.  I’m going to utilize grub hub or Uber eats (even though one reporter acted as if seniors are far too stupid to navigate the interNUT. Nice bit of ageism, there).  Also, if you can do this, add a sizable tip to the restaurant for the staff. 

Just drove by the liquor store which is closing after tonight. You can buy online (not sure how they deliver with our screwy laws) after that and notice some older folks with boxes and small shopping carts full beating the walk in store closing. Guess we’re ahead of the game in online orders Terri. 😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PepsiTwist said:

There’s been a lot of talk regarding whether or not the season will or should be canceled. But what happens if a large percentage of the members themselves (or their parents) decide they (or their kids) will not participate  in drum corps this summer? A lot can change in just a couple days but what happens members decide to bail at the last minute, regardless of contracts? 

I wholeheartedly believe this will pass and eventually become a distant memory — story time for our grandkids and new additions to grade school history books. But as we live through this today, it would behoove us all to also consider the possibility that some kids or parents will decide to not participate in 2020 under the circumstances which could greatly impact the decisions that are being made and discussed right now. 

any thoughts?

True - this will pass.  But so do kidney stones.  The passing process isn't fun.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

It was pretty bad, as I recall.

Part of the reason it was so bad is because one sick soldier in a packed troop ship (& they were PACKED) could infect a whole lot of other soldiers in the week it took to cross the Atlantic.  

Video is of an interview with a 106 year old WW1 veteran who had influenza during the crossing from US to Europe (despite name 'Spanish Flu' there is strong evidence that it originated at Ft Riley, Kansas)

How many schools are going to let a corps use their facility after it being closed for 1,2,3, months?? Where is everyone at a late date going to find housing??

40 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Part of the reason it was so bad is because one sick soldier in a packed troop ship (& they were PACKED) could infect a whole lot of other soldiers in the week it took to cross the Atlantic.  

Video is of an interview with a 106 year old WW1 veteran who had influenza during the crossing from US to Europe (despite name 'Spanish Flu' there is strong evidence that it originated at Ft Riley, Kansas)

It potentially started with US troops in Kansas who were shipped to Europe before it could spread very far. It spread in the trenches to other countries' troops, and then to the European public.  Millions of people were starving in Europe, so were already weak.  Then the US troops brought it back to the US and were dispersed far and wide, which got it into the US population in a big way.

11 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

It potentially started with US troops in Kansas who were shipped to Europe before it could spread very far. It spread in the trenches to other countries' troops, and then to the European public.  Millions of people were starving in Europe, so were already weak.  Then the US troops brought it back to the US and were dispersed far and wide, which got it into the US population in a big way.

And mutated along the way and things got even worse. Wish I hadn’t given away my copy of Berrys “The Great Influenza”

14 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

Yes - The incubation period was long enough that if they were infected on the boat, they didn't become symptomatic until they had docked (usually NYC or Norfolk VA), got on a train, & headed home.  And the last 2 days they were shedding virus all the way.