Time for DCI to cancel season?

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

What if I breath through a shop vac filter?  That HAS to be better than a vacuum cleaner bag.

What if I just wore a whole shop vac on my head, would people stay six feet away?

With or without the hose attachment?

• Haha 2

I have to chuckle at how advanced we feel we are in the year 2020.  I found an old newspaper article from my little home town in northern Michigan about the 1918 flu epidemic. Guess what I found?  They implemented the same social distancing actions back then that we are today. I think maybe we assume they bumbled their way through it, making no changes to their daily lives while their neighbors dropped around them. Nope. They largely did the same things. Closed the schools. Closed the churches. Closed the nonessential businesses. Discouraged people from aggregating. Same things we are doing right now. The result?  An estimated 1/3 infection rate, and you know the mortality rate, around 3 percent. One large mistake they made - they held a liberty bond drive and the whole town turned out for it. It was a big party. Sounds just like what happened in Philadelphia. A couple weeks later, the sick started arriving at the hospital. 

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I agree with you.

How do we solve that problem going forward.

How can the public be made to appreciate risk of this nature, that requires an initial outlay of expense now to prevent great harm later?

An outlay that will seem to many like a waste of time even if it works, ESPECIALLY if it works, because if it works, there's no pandemic.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

And by the way, this time it's a pandemic.

Ten or twenty years from now, it could be something else.

Are we spending enough on near-Earth asteroid detection?

Are we spending enough to be prepared for a Carrington event?

You can't legislate morality or stupidity.  Free citizens get to determine their personal level of both.

Socializing all POTENTIAL risks in a nanny state does not make good drum corps marching members.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I work around radioactivity and radioactive contamination. Sweat does not transmit the virus. True. But that was not my point. My point is, if you sweat through your protective clothing, that clothing becomes less protective. A droplet from an infected person that gets onto your wet clothing now can wick through it onto your skin, which of course you could unwittingly get onto your face etc. That was my point. 

Well, now THAT explains all kinds of things.

:ohmy:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, crownisking said:

An interesting question that I haven’t seen anyone ask yet is: will FloSports survive this? Their revenue is about to take a colossal hit, if it hasn’t already, with no sports or marching competitions to stream. If they go under, how will we stream future shows? We already know DCI isn’t in the position to offer that service again. 

i highly dout they will give refunds, they don't know and make cancelling a pain

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I just think the DCI product is a perfect fit for Disney's new streaming service.  Especially now that they've created the Disney/ESPN+ Bundle.  With the previous ties of the DCI product to both Disney & ESPN, I wish someone could make this happen with the partnership of ABC Sports, ESPN, & Hearst Communications.  And with the power of their licensing department, I think they could make a profit by expanding the DCI on Demand library service.  (I could even see a Disney Marching Arts Network.)  Of course, there could be a chance that I have no idea of what I'm talking about.         

not enough subscriptions to make it worth their while.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I like the way you think. Troopers should assemble in a gym, find one judge, play through a show, get a 40. But since it was the only show adjudicated in 2020, declare themselves champions!!!!

Well, and isn't this the perfect season to demonstrate the judges' ability to "only judge what's presented"?  Therefor, every corps could submit just one 30 second snippet of their show with drill and uniforms and have finals places simply based on that.

Problem solved.  There is "a season", no refunds are due students (see the definition of "a show" during a rain delay in deciding if the show host is responsible for the fee), and BD can add another ring to the case.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, now THAT explains all kinds of things.

:ohmy:

Here’s a helpful tip. If your hand is contaminated, do you want to know how to reduce the contamination by a factor of ten?  Wipe it on your shirt. Want to know how to reduce the contamination by another factor of ten?  Wipe it on your pants. 

You’re Welcome. 

12 minutes ago, garfield said:

You can't legislate morality or stupidity.  Free citizens get to determine their personal level of both.

governments for centuries have tried to prove otherwise. drum corps circuits too

• Like 1