Time for DCI to cancel season?

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

My subscription expires next month.  I’m just letting it lapse. 

I thought they auto renewed unless you cancel it online in your account.  But I haven't had a subscription in 2 years.  Maybe they changed their policy after so many folks complained?   

• Thanks 1

This is coming from a 2020 member's perspective:

I am currently supposed to be marching at Phantom Regiment this year. We've made a ton of progress and our program is something no one has seen before. This would also be my rookie year in drum corps, an activity I have been a fan of since 2012. I understand the potential threat that is COVID-19; however, I don't want this season to go to waste. 

While ultimately it is not up to my discretion what happens to the season, I would say that I share a similar opinion with others. There's a chance all of this could be over soon. How soon I can't say, but there is always a chance. The decision to cancel the 2020 season would spark chaos across organizations, as they all struggle to meet financial recovery from losing thousands of dollars in revenue. The same would be said for Drum Corps International losing thousands in ticket sales, as well as FloMarching for losing money in useless subscriptions. 

Extending the age-out limit would probably not solve the problem, as well. Many of those who are aging out most likely can't do it past their final year, whether for work, school, or other reasons. It would give some the chance to make up for the loss that would be this year, but it wouldn't apply to many others. As for me, when I age out, I wouldn't be able to go on, due to my future as a music educator. I would be going straight into teaching, similar to many of those who do march.

On the other side, rookies like me can testify that this year has seen some tremendous growth in each corps. Speaking from my perspective, I have never felt more welcomed into a group like the Phantom Regiment. They have given me a family of 153 other members that I can come to for anything. To say losing this family by not marching this summer would be devastating is an understatement. 

Again, I do understand that the virus itself has lasting impacts on countless situations, such as housing, travel, food, etc. That doesn't say that there won't be a solution to all this in the next month or two. I would GLADLY take a shortened season over a cancelled season if it meant that I would be able to get a taste of this beautiful activity. Marching drum corps has been a dream of mine for years and I have put literal blood, sweat, and tears into making it happen this year. If it is a possibility at all, I would love to see this year come into fruition. 

Ultimately, it's just too early to tell what will happen. All of this could last months or it could be gone in two. We just don't know. I hope to know a solution in the coming weeks or months about everything, but it's just playing the waiting game. With all of the precautions being placed right now, we'll have to see what the result is. As for me, I'm doing the best I can to stay safe and healthy and I'm keeping my hopes up that everything will work out, one way or another. 

We will push through this and ultimately come out stronger. Let's just see what happens. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I thought they auto renewed unless you cancel it online in your account.  But I haven't had a subscription in 2 years.  Maybe they changed their policy after so many folks complained?   

You are correct.  Jim just told me that he cancelled because it was set to renew April 6th.  So you DO have to contact them. 

Thanks for bringing that up so Jim and I could have the conversation.  👍

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You are correct.  Jim just told me that he cancelled because it was set to renew April 6th.  So you DO have to contact them. 

Thanks for bringing that up so Jim and I could have the conversation.  👍

You're welcome!  I just remember this was a hot topic their second year.  I only did the 30-day subscription during mid-season to end right after Allentown since I always go to finals.  I remember a lot of subscribers got burned with the auto renewal program.  I had to turn it off in the setting in my online account since they never answer their phone.    

• Like 1

"The craziest thing about coronavirus is that if we do manage to hold deaths down to like 50K or so in the U.S., people will say, 'See, it's just like the flu, and you made us go through all that?!' ... but if we don't hold down deaths it will be an epic historic catastrophe."

It's also pretty crazy to think that 50,000 additional American deaths is no big deal.

That would be on top of the flu, not instead of the flu.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, judahr13 said:

This is coming from a 2020 member's perspective:

I am currently supposed to be marching at Phantom Regiment this year. We've made a ton of progress and our program is something no one has seen before. This would also be my rookie year in drum corps, an activity I have been a fan of since 2012. I understand the potential threat that is COVID-19; however, I don't want this season to go to waste. 

While ultimately it is not up to my discretion what happens to the season, I would say that I share a similar opinion with others. There's a chance all of this could be over soon. How soon I can't say, but there is always a chance. The decision to cancel the 2020 season would spark chaos across organizations, as they all struggle to meet financial recovery from losing thousands of dollars in revenue. The same would be said for Drum Corps International losing thousands in ticket sales, as well as FloMarching for losing money in useless subscriptions. 

Extending the age-out limit would probably not solve the problem, as well. Many of those who are aging out most likely can't do it past their final year, whether for work, school, or other reasons. It would give some the chance to make up for the loss that would be this year, but it wouldn't apply to many others. As for me, when I age out, I wouldn't be able to go on, due to my future as a music educator. I would be going straight into teaching, similar to many of those who do march.

On the other side, rookies like me can testify that this year has seen some tremendous growth in each corps. Speaking from my perspective, I have never felt more welcomed into a group like the Phantom Regiment. They have given me a family of 153 other members that I can come to for anything. To say losing this family by not marching this summer would be devastating is an understatement. 

Again, I do understand that the virus itself has lasting impacts on countless situations, such as housing, travel, food, etc. That doesn't say that there won't be a solution to all this in the next month or two. I would GLADLY take a shortened season over a cancelled season if it meant that I would be able to get a taste of this beautiful activity. Marching drum corps has been a dream of mine for years and I have put literal blood, sweat, and tears into making it happen this year. If it is a possibility at all, I would love to see this year come into fruition. 

Ultimately, it's just too early to tell what will happen. All of this could last months or it could be gone in two. We just don't know. I hope to know a solution in the coming weeks or months about everything, but it's just playing the waiting game. With all of the precautions being placed right now, we'll have to see what the result is. As for me, I'm doing the best I can to stay safe and healthy and I'm keeping my hopes up that everything will work out, one way or another. 

We will push through this and ultimately come out stronger. Let's just see what happens. 

And I want to see 'yous guys' this summer even if the tour begins in St Louis at the Mid-West Championships.  Keep your chin up! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"The craziest thing about coronavirus is that if we do manage to hold deaths down to like 50K or so in the U.S., people will say, 'See, it's just like the flu, and you made us go through all that?!' ... but if we don't hold down deaths it will be an epic historic catastrophe."

It's also pretty crazy to think that 50,000 additional American deaths is no big deal.

That would be on top of the flu, not instead of the flu.

You mean having to go through all this to hold the death count down to the approximate number of Americans killed in action in Vietnam? Yeah, we should go through all this. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I hope the death toll will be so low that it provokes that kind of reaction.  Is that crazy?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

I hope the death toll will be so low that it provokes that kind of reaction.  Is that crazy?

No. I hope the same thing.

But I also hope we can find a way to get more people to understand this paradox, so that next time, we can do better still.

• Like 1