Time for DCI to cancel season?

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No. I hope the same thing.

But I also hope we can find a way to get more people to understand this paradox, so that next time, we can do better still.

My wife had to spend an hour on the phone with her lunatic brother (and his wife) trying to convince them that it’s not all part of some deep state hoax and that “people really are getting sick.” For real. (I just kept packing, in an effort not to have to listen to it. She has the patience of a saint— I do not.) At least he’s staying home.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"The craziest thing about coronavirus is that if we do manage to hold deaths down to like 50K or so in the U.S., people will say, 'See, it's just like the flu, and you made us go through all that?!' ... but if we don't hold down deaths it will be an epic historic catastrophe."

It's also pretty crazy to think that 50,000 additional American deaths is no big deal.

That would be on top of the flu, not instead of the flu.

50,000 would be a near miraculous result. Given that the 1918 pandemic resulted in 675,000 American deaths, and that our population is now three times greater, an outcome similar to the 1918 pandemic would result in 2 million deaths. 2 million. So, 50,000 would be miraculous. I fear it will be much more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, year1buick said:

My wife had to spend an hour on the phone with her lunatic brother (and his wife) trying to convince them that it’s not all part of some deep state hoax and that “people really are getting sick.” For real. (I just kept packing, in an effort not to have to listen to it. She has the patience of a saint— I do not.) At least he’s staying home.

I know some the same...sad ! Sometimes ignorance is bliss and sometimes ignorance is just ignorance.

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

50,000 would be a near miraculous result. Given that the 1918 pandemic resulted in 675,000 American deaths, and that our population is now three times greater, an outcome similar to the 1918 pandemic would result in 2 million deaths. 2 million. So, 50,000 would be miraculous. I fear it will be much more. 

I'm surprised that you're so pessimistic, but I understand the things that cause it.

39 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm surprised that you're so pessimistic, but I understand the things that cause it.

It’s probably the radiation. My Brain Is Fried!!!

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Just read number of US cases doubled in past two days. Some of that probably due to more testing but holy crap image the rise in cases the next few days if people had not started staying inside. 
Worked with a guy like that too. We all breathed a sigh of relief when he left. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just read number of US cases doubled in past two days. Some of that probably due to more testing but holy crap image the rise in cases the next few days if people had not started staying inside. 
Worked with a guy like that too. We all breathed a sigh of relief when he left. 

It’s going to keep doubling every two days. Then if we’re lucky, every three days. Then every four. Etc. Buckle in. It’s going to happen that way. It’s what happens. We will get through it. Bend the curve. 

Want a snippet of good news?  Remember my daughter the nurse?  An hour ago she texted me they have 8 patients on the floor today. Normally they have 30. They have stopped all elective surgeries. They are preparing. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

It’s going to keep doubling every two days. Then if we’re lucky, every three days. Then every four. Etc. Buckle in. It’s going to happen that way. It’s what happens. We will get through it. Bend the curve. 

Yep been following my home state PA and currently at 185. Went up 50+ today and 40+ yesterday. Can’t find it now but think 1600 have been tested. And now finding “community cases” IOW they can’t figure out where the person got it. 
And about 6 counties reporting first case in last 24 hours so spreading out

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

I don’t know how anyone could believe it isn’t real If they own a working television, as I am aware of no major news source that anyone could actually consume for any length of time and come away believing that.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, judahr13 said:

This is coming from a 2020 member's perspective:

I am currently supposed to be marching at Phantom Regiment this year. We've made a ton of progress and our program is something no one has seen before. This would also be my rookie year in drum corps, an activity I have been a fan of since 2012. I understand the potential threat that is COVID-19; however, I don't want this season to go to waste. 

While ultimately it is not up to my discretion what happens to the season, I would say that I share a similar opinion with others. There's a chance all of this could be over soon. How soon I can't say, but there is always a chance. The decision to cancel the 2020 season would spark chaos across organizations, as they all struggle to meet financial recovery from losing thousands of dollars in revenue. The same would be said for Drum Corps International losing thousands in ticket sales, as well as FloMarching for losing money in useless subscriptions. 

Extending the age-out limit would probably not solve the problem, as well. Many of those who are aging out most likely can't do it past their final year, whether for work, school, or other reasons. It would give some the chance to make up for the loss that would be this year, but it wouldn't apply to many others. As for me, when I age out, I wouldn't be able to go on, due to my future as a music educator. I would be going straight into teaching, similar to many of those who do march.

On the other side, rookies like me can testify that this year has seen some tremendous growth in each corps. Speaking from my perspective, I have never felt more welcomed into a group like the Phantom Regiment. They have given me a family of 153 other members that I can come to for anything. To say losing this family by not marching this summer would be devastating is an understatement. 

Again, I do understand that the virus itself has lasting impacts on countless situations, such as housing, travel, food, etc. That doesn't say that there won't be a solution to all this in the next month or two. I would GLADLY take a shortened season over a cancelled season if it meant that I would be able to get a taste of this beautiful activity. Marching drum corps has been a dream of mine for years and I have put literal blood, sweat, and tears into making it happen this year. If it is a possibility at all, I would love to see this year come into fruition. 

Ultimately, it's just too early to tell what will happen. All of this could last months or it could be gone in two. We just don't know. I hope to know a solution in the coming weeks or months about everything, but it's just playing the waiting game. With all of the precautions being placed right now, we'll have to see what the result is. As for me, I'm doing the best I can to stay safe and healthy and I'm keeping my hopes up that everything will work out, one way or another. 

We will push through this and ultimately come out stronger. Let's just see what happens. 

This coming from an old person's perspective who marched in the first D.C.I...............your post moved me.  My heart goes out to you and all the other young people who only want to march like we did.  I'm praying you get to.  

• Like 3