Time for DCI to cancel season?

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

If you’ve purchased tickets and the season is cancelled, you will be refunded.   

Thank Goodness. I am about a grand into tickets. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Thank Goodness. I am about a grand into tickets. 

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m a little over $1000.  

If no season, take the returned money and spend some time in Boston for the Crusaders 80th anniversary.  Maybe only the show at BC will be postponed/cancelled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

i'm far nastier when seeking revenge. it's not personal, just business

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You are correct.  Jim just told me that he cancelled because it was set to renew April 6th.  So you DO have to contact them. 

Thanks for bringing that up so Jim and I could have the conversation.  👍

and my renewal kicked in last month.

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, I have said repeatedly that China screwed up big time. I'm pretty sure I was the first person on these forums to make this point. Somewhere cixelsyd quoted me as having said it a half dozen times or so, going back a couple weeks or more now. I specifically cited a study that concluded that if China hadn't covered up the seriousness of its outbreak, 95% of the world's cases could have been prevented. Once China finally did respond, six weeks after they should have, they were pretty effective in minimizing the spread there (compare statistics for Hubei province to the rest of the country). But it was too late for the rest of us. And now China is expelling foreign reporters, by which I mean solid journalists from good papers like the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Washington Post, who are trying to dig into the truth about what happened there back in December and January. Do I think that China's President Xi handled the the outbreak very well? I do not. Do I think Xi has been strong, sharp, and powerfully focused? Most definitely not. No, I completely agree with you that the Chinese government is culpable. Boo China!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That said, I do take some umbrage at those --not you; you're not doing this-- who hint that the Chinese people deserve blame on the basis of their dining habits ("stop eating frigging bats!"), and I personally know someone of East Asian heritage (not even Chinese, mind you), who has mentioned that he's noticed people shying away from him in public places in recent weeks, as if he were somehow tainted. The latter behavior certainly does sound racist to me (and one can easily find reports of much grosser examples). And the former is just silly. Should we stop eating pigs because of swine flu? Should we stop eating cows because of measles?

In 1976, Isaac Asimov wrote a fun science fiction story called "Good Taste", set in a future space colony, in which people think it's disgusting that those who live in uncivilized backwaters like Earth eat actual plants (never mind animals) instead of than food that's created in a good sterile lab. Consume something that grows in the soil? Ew!

this is a good article....it basically says regardless of political party, several exercises showed we weren't prepared at home

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-outbreak.html

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I really hope they survive this hiatus because I’m 99% sure there won’t be any drum corps in 2020. 

i'd say by mid April we'll know for sure

bottom line is this:

transportation and volunteers need to be finalized asap. housing...gonna be a nightmare for spring training and tour. in the current climate of uncertainty, and the fact right now the country is trying to play catch-up from way behind, i can't see how any kind of season is gonna happen. i imagine mid april at the latest is the due or die call to be made, and i'm told some corps already want to pull the plug and start on 2021.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat:

Please stop the political posting. It is against DCP guidelines. The threads are in danger of being closed. Posting about the science and what is happening is great.  

sorry i posted an article that pointed out that the US regardless of party left us unprepared.

• Confused 1