Time for DCI to cancel season?

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Why are people arguing about numbers and making comparisons when this #### has just started?

It’s DCP. Gotta argue something 

• Haha 3

Just now, keystone3ply said:

Good morning!  Serious question: can there be a thread strictly dedicated to US politics to be used for DCP members to vent or is that an overall policy for all subject matter?  I've read the forum for years but I'm fairly new to posting.  Could be an online therapy session for members? Thanks!

PS:  I should have said "Long time listener, first time caller".  

Used to have a forum for that. Got way out of control and that was 2005. In today’s polarized climate no way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No. I hope the same thing.

But I also hope we can find a way to get more people to understand this paradox, so that next time, we can do better still.

Maybe if responsible journalism were a possibility, that could be achieved.  (I know, another sentence that became moot halfway through.)

And no, this is not even a political reference.  The nature of contemporary news is sensationalism at the expense of informing.  "2.2 million Americans will reportedly die!  More after the commercial break."  And in the single minute they finally spend expanding on the story, maybe they mention that would only happen "if we did nothing".  Or maybe they leave that detail out.

Excessive fear-mongering leads to misunderstandings like the paradox to which you allude.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, dans said:

nytimes makes great toilet paper...so it does have some value

Not the digital edition .   :-)

That will get your Smart Phone kind of messy.

Hey,maybe the lack of toilet paper will bring back print journalism and things

like phone books and the Sears Catalogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

this is a good article....it basically says regardless of political party, several exercises showed we weren't prepared at home

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Well, that is odd, because the link took me to a political hit piece.  The entire article is devoted to portraying the executive branch of one party as the saints, and the other party as the sinners.

Either link to the correct article, or remove the link.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe if responsible journalism were a possibility, that could be achieved.  (I know, another sentence that became moot halfway through.)

And no, this is not even a political reference.  The nature of contemporary news is sensationalism at the expense of informing.  "2.2 million Americans will reportedly die!  More after the commercial break."  And in the single minute they finally spend expanding on the story, maybe they mention that would only happen "if we did nothing".  Or maybe they leave that detail out.

Excessive fear-mongering leads to misunderstandings like the paradox to which you allude.

If it bleeds it leads.... Why I’m sticking with local news. People forget that network (cable and otherwise) are a billion dollar business. So their thought is always for the ratings to keep up the $upply of money. (Stopping there)

Local news... well they have to be out in public with the people who follow so lot easier to catch flack if biased.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Why are people arguing about numbers and making comparisons when this #### has just started?

I suspect it's because the DCP rules won't let them argue about politics so numbers are a substitute.

Is there an equivalent for "Godwin's Law" with regards to politics?  "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving politics increases...."

11 minutes ago, Continental said:

I suspect it's because the DCP rules won't let them argue about politics so numbers are a substitute.

Is there an equivalent for "Godwin's Law" with regards to politics?  "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving politics increases...."

They’re arguing politics too